“Fun for kids (and adults)!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
New York City, New York
“Fun for kids (and adults)!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went here with a Groupon. We were happy to see that they had available rooms for Presidents day. We stayed in a Nevada room with our two toddlers and a dog (great that they allow dogs in the rooms). When we came back we bought a new Groupon because we liked the place a lot.

As other reviewers have said this is not a 5-star hotel (and we didn't expect this at this price). If you want this go somewhere else. However, if you want fun entertainment for you kids in beautiful surroundings for a good deal come here.

Pros:
Beautiful surroundings with nice trails.

Lots of activities even in the winter. We did horseback riding (those are not ponies) with the kids, snow tubing, played with the animals in the petting zoo, swam in the indoor pool.

Good food and friendly service (except one guy in the restaurant that seemed rather stressed). You sit at the same table throughout your stay. I was surprised by the quality of the food. Maybe lunch was not as great as breakfast and dinner but fine with pizza, pasta, burgers, fries and ice-cream in a small food court. One sit down restaurant with sandwiches which was also fine but no windows.

Nice with live music each day and cocktail hour with free drinks. two different mixed drinks each day to choose from, wine, beer. Good snacks. Fireplace and bonfire outside.

Bars and evening entertainment (that we missed unfortunately due to toddlers bedtime).

Drop-off for kids for day camp. We didn't do this but it looked fun.

Photographers around to take family and riding pictures.

All personnel at the hotel very friendly and accommodating. People at the stables very nice and sweet to our children.

Nice lobby for gathering.

Cable TV in your room.

Cons:

Rooms are a little outdated and worn.

Water that came out of the faucet was sometimes brown (at least in Nevada rooms) so we didn't drink it. We did shower in it though.

Their coffee is awful and in my opinion undrinkable but fortunately they have a Starbucks in the Ranch.

Since we don't drink soda (you get bottomless for $5) it would have been nice to be able to get free water. We had to purchase water in the vending machine because we couldn't drink the water in our room.

We didn't like that they put plastic covers on the table cloth. It made it look cheap. Why not just wash a few more table cloths.It woudl improve the look of the lobby.

Towels were thin and small. Bring your own. At least for the pool.

Overall a nice stay and we would recommend it. Just dont expect fine cuisine and 5-star accommodations but who would at a Dude Ranch.

Room Tip: We stayed in Nevada which is close to everything. Ask for a room facing away from the parking lot an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just horrible, you have to wait online for just water. If I can go for waterbat the window as much as I can, why dont you just have disppersed from the machine. There was no staff at snack bar area, so people would just put their hand in the food, obviously I could pick that food up. Coffee for which you had to pay, was not available at all times. I wouldnt mind paying, but where to get it...i was told to drive at gas station to get coffee. No hot water in my room. Lunch was just bad, I waited 30 for an uncooked vegie burger served in very tiny paper plate (if youd call it a plate). Not good. I have booked three nights, otherwise I would leave right. I thought there was going to be some skiing, but there isnt. Snowtub is 15sec long. Big joke. Never coming back again.

• Stayed February 2014
12 Thank Aldarel

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went to Pinegrove for the first time this year based on friend's recommendation.
My wife, 17month old daughter, myself, and another couple with similar age child.
It was a lot of fun as long as your expectations are properly set.
This is not a luxury resort and you wont get 5 star accommodations. Rooms and many facilities are old and in need to proper repair. Proper because in many places it looks like things were patched up with whatever was lying around rather then professionally fixed. But we did not care all that much. Grounds are beautiful and surrounding area is stunning. I am sure it is amazing in the summer. We took our daughter horseback riding and she loved it. Had a blast snow tubing and playing with the animals at the petting zoo. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Love the fact that you get a table assigned for the stay and it was all set with high chairs for kids for breakfast and dinner. Had a good time at the pool as well. We were a little underwhelmed with the food at first, but it worked out great with delicious breakfast and good dinners. One thing that really needs to improve is lunch. It's hard with little kids to try and find a seat at the little area and it takes forever to get food and food itself is far from great. But with a little coordination and patience its not a deal breaker.
We wanted to do ice skating and we told at the front desk that they have small skates, but when we got there guys at the skating are said they have nothing under 6 year-old skates. But it was not a big deal because there are other things to do so we went back to snow tubing.
Save your money and don't buy the bottomless soda cups. Soda they have is nasty.

But over all, it's a fun place and we would go back again in the summer. Outdoor pool and play areas look like they would be a lot of fun.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ilya V
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I came with my school for this year's Senior Trip, and i knew coming in I would not get a luxurious hotel. After staying in similar resorts at nearby Windham and Hunter Mountain, I figured I had an idea of what to expect. However, my bathroom lacked hot water for my only shower. I refused to shower again and go through a similar ordeal. The bathroom showed signs of neglect, and was clearly in need of maintenance. The carpet was old, the facility showed signs of wear. Décor overall was jaded and old. It had band aids on wounds that needed stiches. The room was clean, about what one could expect from a family ranch. As for food, the breakfast was a pleasant surprise, a well cooked, solid meal. Lunch was also average. The snack bar with burgers, hot dogs, and ice cream was a huge plus. Dinner was somewhat disappointing, with little variety and the same course served over two days. The Starbucks on the facility was a plus as well.
Walking through the facility, I felt as if the employees were not happy where they were. There were multiple Hispanic workers who showed poor body language expressed open discontent with their work environment when I approached them and initiated a conversation. Everyone seemed they were merely following orders and rolling eyes rather than smiling and enjoying themselves, and it showed in their service and body language. When told the amenities and activities on the ranch were all-inclusive, I was shocked to arrive and find out bottomless cups were extra cost. Furthermore, air hockey, pool, and the arcade were extra cost.
As for outdoor activities, skiing was above average, I am an advanced skier but saw a dedicated instructor who truly enjoyed what he was doing. Conditions and grounds were solid. Paintball was excellent. Horseback riding was the biggest disappointment; we were given a basic ride around the ranch and granted it was a snowy weekend; however the horses were moody and extremely unpleasant. Those who worked at the horse ranch were also extremely unwelcoming.
Overall, the ranch was extremely disappointing. It has so much potential to be something greater, I feel that ownership and management is holding this ranch back. I spoke to my friends; they shared similar feedback about their experience. I only enjoyed being in the vicinity of my peers and teachers for the weekend. My parents have been looking for a vacation ranch and I really wanted to tell them I found them one, unfortunately this is not the case. I would not recommend this to a friend to visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank rodney_fu
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We just got home from our first visit to the ranch. We spent Sunday into Monday and we basically had the whole ranch to ourselves. My 3 kids had so much fun and want to go back. The place makes you feel very welcome. A special thanks to Ryan, Kaitlyn misses you :) and Michael from the dining room even though we didn't eat enough! See you again soon, we will be back

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelleyd70
Bedford Hills, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

It was just a wonderful 4 day/3night family vacation. We brought our 2 adult children, spouses and 3 grandchildren for a delightful and very reasonably priced vacation. The rooms ( we were upgraded at no additional cost) were large and well maintained, the food was excellent as was the service. The attractions, both indoor and outdoor were fantastic- my grandchildren especially liked the pool, snow tubing, pony rides, and miniature golf. My wife and I really enjoyed the line dancing each afternoon with Goldie. Also enjoyed the "Cocktail Hour" each afternoon. The Saturday hoedown dinner was just the best. The staff was the friendliest and most helpful I had ever met at a vacation resort. Needless to say we thoroughly recommend the dude ranch and we plan to make it an annual event for our family.

Room Tip: Even the smallest rooms, Nevada are more than adequate for a family of 4.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan M
Rockland County, NY
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This is my third review within a year, since it was our third trip to Pinegrove since June 2013. This last trip was a Christmas gift to my daughter and I...and was the best gift ever.

Having visited in June and September, we were excited to see how different the winter would be. There were some new activities to experience such as snow tubing and iceskating (on a real pond!) My eight year old daughter has never skated before, and I can't remember the last time I had been. It was a special thing to experience.

We visited this past weekend (Jan 17- 20th). My recommendation is always to book for at least four days so you can have at least two full days at the resort.

We participated in several of organized activities such as Family Fued and Trivia with a great staff person Ryan as well as tried out the scavenger hunt bingo and pony hunt. We ice skated, tried the rock climbing wall again, shot some arrows at archery, played board games in the lobby, played on the playground, swam in the pool, enjoyed the water slides, went snow tubing and hung out with the goats, cow and chicken in the petting zoo. My daughter loves being able to pet and hug all the animals! Me too! We enjoyed some music during Saturday nights Rodeo dinner. We ate cheeseburgers, hot dogs, fries from the snack bar - enjoyed the chocolate fountain, veggies, cheese / crackers, shirley temples and cocktails during the cocktail and coketail hours. We had great service during the sit down breakfasts and dinners (Michayla was our super sweet server during this trip) and got to enjoy potato skins, an awesome bloomin onion, some pasta dishes...and my daughter's favorite (she ordered three days in a row) -cheese omelets.

Of course we went horse back riding. At 30 dollars per ride (10 for a child, 20 for an adult) you cannot go wrong! Our ride Saturday morning was led by the barn manager Mike (great guy) It was cold...but magical. It snowed as we walked through the woods. Such an experience. We had a great ride Sunday with wrangler Flynn. He was friendly, engaged my daughter and I in conversation and looked out for everyone on the ride. Louis was our guide on Monday. This was probably my favorite ride as it was a small one. Louis also was very friendly and shared with us some things that we could look forward to during different seasons at Pinegrove. We look forward to summertime when we might try the BBQ ride or a private guided ride. We also saw Ashley and Kelly from our previous trips...they remembered us too. It's things like that, that make Pinegrove feel so personal, warm and like family.

All the staff at Pinegrove are wonderful and friendly. From registration (Barbara is awesome!), to cleaning staff, to food court staff, to the restaurant staff, the wranglers, lifeguards, activity staff etc... Everyone is pleasant, smiling, joking, engaging. They really make you feel welcome!

My daughter and I just love this place and can't get enough of it. It was great to get away from responsibility and distraction and just enjoy eachother's company. It's nice to get back to basics and experience true family time!

I see a lot of reviews on here about how things are run down or not as fancy as they'd like. If that's what you are expecting this is probably not the place for you. Pinegrove may not have the freshest coat of paint but they keep the prices down while providing a fun, warm, family atmostphere. We love it and we will definitely be back!

Some Tips:
Make sure you bring plenty to bundle up in. We were thankful to have packed our cuddle duds, smartwool socks and gloves and all the winter gear. It will make your experience so much better. Pack your own beverages. While they do have a bottomless cup for 5 bucks that you can refill I think it's more convenient to bring a big jug of water or two, your favorite beverages and some drink containers. THere is an ice machine in the food court. Pack some healthy snacks for in between (while endless burgers, dogs and fries are wonderful they can be a bit rough on the tummy).

Room Tip: Room Suggestion: This trip we got a free upgrade to Santa Fe - While at first we were disappointed...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StarFoot8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!