“Filthy”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 21 April 2014

FILTHY+OUTDATED+DISGUSTING FOOD+NOISY ROOM WITH BROKEN TOILET AND SQUEAKY FLOOR = $450 for an unrested family of four for one night.

If you want to spend that kind of money, please go somewhere else!!!!!

11  Thank TypeAtravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was very disappointed in the condition of the ranch. The rooms look nothing like the nice ones that appear on line. I paid $200 extra to upgrade to a little bigger better room and was not happy with the accomodations. The ceilings have been spackled so many times and not sanded or painted over that the spackle spots have yellowed....not what you want to wake up to in the morning. The bathrooms have been somewhat updated, but the heat vent was all rusted and half off the wall, the sink faucet was new but I could move it around and the water pressure was horrible. They could really use to invest some money into the play ground outside with a new playscape and get rid of that 1970's rusted and broken stuff. Both the indoor and outdoor mini gulf areas are not maintained and are filthy. The family obsticle course consists of a hanging rope and big round bails of hay....very disappointed. The pool area smells like poop....one morning there was a frog swimming in it...leaks in the pipes from the rooms over the pool were leaking into the pool....just prayed it was not the sewer pipe...coule be why is smelled like poop. .They fail to mention on the MISC expenses that there is an arcade and the machines take the kids money and then don't let them play and there are NO REFUNDS!....also it costs money to play pool, air hockey, the picture booth and they don't mention tipping your wait person at the end of your stay and the cleaning lady. Sure there is an ATM machine there, but it was OUT of ORDER the entire time we were there. They have a "Country Store", but the majority of the shelves were empty and they still only had Christmas cards on the card rack....REALLY? My child didn't know any better. He had a great time and that is what matters most, but I was highly disappointed. Yes the price was a good deal....but then..you get what you pay for. Talked to a lot of other people who have been to The Rocking Horse Ranch and they said that place blows the Pinegrove Ranch away....I can see why.

5  Thank G P
Reviewed 20 April 2014

It started after I waited on a 15 minute line to check in. When I asked where I can park they said the lot was full..maybe park up the hill on a grass field. Second the place was filthy..not just the old rooms but the everything. The food was horrible and for lunch you waited on a line for either a burger or hot dog and 6 oz cup of soda that only two guys worked in! The food choices were limited and not very clean or tasty. The syrup was like water and the deserts were like eating paste.
The room had stains on the rugs, broken toilet, terrible beds, a small tv and no clock. This place would be ok for 60-80 a night but they charged me $250 a night!
The horses look abused and not taken care of and are overworked.
Complete rip off.

Room Tip: Dont be fooled by fake or antiqued reviews this place is a hellhole.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank J L
Reviewed 18 April 2014

After reading the reviews I didn't have high expectations for quality. I did expect that the kids would be kept busy. They have the potential but no one is doing anything. The rgs zoned activities are minimal, especially the outdoors. There were probably 30 9-10 year old boys with potential to get them running around outside playing games. But all they basically had was 1/2 hour or dodge ball a day. Everything else was indoors or minimal outdoors. I suggested why not organize a soccer game or baseball game and the man organizing things told me "I'm supposed I just organize indoor activities." So instead you jut have kids running around. If you don't have a lot of kids with you it's ip to the patent to entertainer the one or two kids. What a waste. They could have had soccer football baseball. Tennis competitions. Scavenger hunts tag. Ping ping competitions. But no nothing. And really little for the parents. That on top I a basically old run down resort makes it quite a disappointment.

You also have to wait in line to sign up for horse back riding. To lunch (over 1/2 hour) for a minimal mene instead of low quality fast food

5  Thank messypsych
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Understood that prices are jacked up during Spring Break, but at least get proper staff in place at that time. Not enough activities for kids on a given day...things on the itinerary never happened. No alternate events for a rainy day. The indoor pool was cloudy and smelly. Not very appealing at all. We heard a rumor of a feces in the deep end but we were not there at that hour. Disapointed to seeing just one life guard to oversee 30 or so kids. Adjacent to this is the mini golf...rundown and had garbage cans for the leaking ceiling. The Coke tail was finally fun for the kids...mentioning that this time has no staff supervising dance floor. Moving on to meals. Food court for some quick food is ok. Dinner was good and had nice wait staff. Breakfast was good as well. Wait staff was very accommodating. Sadly, there was no staff rallying kids for activities, you're basically left on your own. Lots of things are rundown. It would be great if they cleaned up the common areas...stinky hallways. Rooms are average. We will not return. They could use someone to come in and do a overhaul on this place. It could be a great place for NY getaway with kids.

9  Thank Ctgchic
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We just returned from a three day "getaway" at the Pinegrove Dude Ranch and while the kids had a good time, my wife and I were left not wanting to return anytime soon. The place was probably a gem in its hayday, however it has been let go through the years. This ranges from the playground with broken boards, the archery range with featherless arrows, and the "mini-golf" areas (one indoor and one outdoor) that were badly damaged, non-maintained, and hardly a course, not to mention the carpenter ants infesting every wooden window frame in the place. Our room was bare with a cracked sink, missing faucet handle top, and stained carpet...likewise the food was subpar and tables were small, barely fitting a family of 4 while placed on top of what appeared to be a dancefloor. The plus of the food was that it was unlimited ice cream, burgers, fries, hot dogs, and inclusive dinners and breakfasts provided you didn't mind all the fried/processed options provided.

When we arrived we expected to check in with our groupon that was pre-paid, and were asked for another $400 for the two kids...which we thought was all set. At this point we were debating turning around and leaving, but we would have lost our initial $400 purchase. The place hosts a nightly "cocktail" and "coke-tail" party for kids at 5:00 before dinner, which is a booze fest for adults while the kids are indoctrinated in the art of ordering from the bar downstairs with unlimited soda.

I would consider looking into someplace similar and wish we had thoroughly read the reviews before taking a trip...however there were things the place did well like the beds, the horses, and the bounce pillow (provided you were there during its limited hours of operation - like the other "activities"). It was good to get some family time, but wish we hadn't had to drop the extra $400 on the spot when we arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and call ahead before you book with all questions.
5  Thank KandJ2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Be very careful when using a Groupon for this place. I bought the Groupon for 3 nights for the Wyoming room for close to $800. When I got there, they told me that it would be $89.00 per night per child extra. (I have 3 kids.)Plus horseback riding (for one day) was not included so that I had to pay them $950 more dollars. Why would you advertise a room that sleeps 6 people for $222 a night and then in fine print at the bottom put "This cost covers 2 people and each extra child is $89.00 per night?" BECAUSE you are trying to rip people off and be deceptive. The place is a huge dump and looks like it's about to be condemned. There is no way my family was staying in this place (especially for $600 a night)! I can't believe people go to this place and pay all this money for this poor quality facility. The manager assured me that if we didn't check in we could recoup all of our money from Groupon. I called Groupon and they said the hotel refused to issue us a cancellation and we are now out $800. The manager (told me to my face) that there would be no problem getting a refund. The story changed the next day when they were asked to issue the refund. PLEASE BE SO CAREFUL THESE PEOPLE ARE LIARS. On second thought, JUST STAY AWAY!

7  Thank Ggehman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!