“Nice renovations”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in the same room type as on our prior visit, but now it has a king-sized bed (plus a full bed) with a new headboard, a new dresser and full-length mirror, a re-done bathroom, and no more old carpet! It was nicely done, and made for a good night's sleep. JUAN as the new head of the dining room was terrific -- Pinegrove is lucky to have him. It was really nice seeing all of the friendly "old" staff again, too.

2  Thank BKandA
There are newer reviews for Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place was just awful. The food was burnt, re-heated garbage and I will eat almost anything so that says something. The room was bare with holes all over the walls (and we were told we got one of the new rooms!) The bathroom had cracks with dirt in them on the sink and shower. It's hard to feel clean when the bathroom isn't even clean. Everything looks dingy and beaten up. The staff at the bar was the only good point. However, some of the patrons were in the bar barefoot and with little clothing on, which was pretty gross. No matter where you are drinking, people should not be propping their bare feet up onto bar stools, and I think the staff should have said something. We actually left before our meal and trail ride. We made the mistake of signing up for the later trail ride and couldn't stand the idea of staying any longer. The location is beautiful and there is so much potential, sad that no one seems inclined to capitalize on that. It's like Hot Tub Time Machine, just a dilapidated place that looks like fun things may have happened there many years before.

12  Thank mary s
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I went with my husband and daughter for Mothers day weekend. Food was excellent they had Italian Family Style on Friday night and Saturday they had chicken and ribs. They served lots of food for the three of us. DJ was very nice, he played music that we asked and everyone was dancing. At the lobby there was line dancing I wish she was in the club at night. Friday and Saturday night they had great comedians. My family loved the place. The hosreback riding staff were very patient, cautious, and friendly. The horses are healthy and well maintained. Everyone treated us very nicely. The day care for my daughter were awesome, they were wonderful with the kids. We are going back!!!!

Room Tip: We stood in Dakota room 127.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank calientelo
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Great news! The first ride for a child can be a magical moment that sparks a love of horses for the rest of your life! I will let the barn staff know that have another horse lover for life!

The rest of our package is design for family fun, nothing fancy, just old fashioned value. Please tell your friends, we need more guests to serve!

David - Owner

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My family just enjoyed our second trip to Pinegrove Ranch. Upon arrival, the room had been decorated for my birthday, complete with a gift. (A nice gesture, and much appreciated.)

We were there to ride and we had a great time. My husband and I are experienced riders, while our 12-year-old son is just learning. The wranglers were all very professional, friendly and good-natured. So were the horses--well cared for and well trained.

The highlight was a small group lesson, which was arranged for an additional fee. We received personalized instruction, and enjoyed some time off the beaten track, spotting deer, woodpeckers, cardinals and other wildlife. It was so much fun to watch our son gain confidence in the saddle and Flynn was an excellent teacher and guide.

We stayed in one of the Dakota rooms. Contrary to some other reviews, I found the housekeeping in our room to be acceptable. The room was spacious and comfortable, with a serene view. The bathroom showed its age, but it's a dude ranch, not a five-star hotel.

The facility could use some upgrades (particularly the indoor pool/golf and lunch areas) but the staff were quite friendly, the food plentiful and readily available, and a good time was had by all.

Just come with realistic expectations and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Particularly if you love to ride like we do! And don't forget to tip your wranglers, servers, housekeeper, etc. A little goes a long way.

Room Tip: I always ask for a remote room. I would much rather trek to supper and activities, but enjoy peace a...
2  Thank Juliet P

Good review, I agree, our rooms are clean and acceptable. Good description, nothing fancy but all you need for a family fun stay. Mery, head of housekeeping really cares and it shows. Glad you liked the little personal touches we add when we know of a special occasion.

Cowboy Mike and his barn staff our doing a great job in the saddle.

Wait until you meet Juan! He is our new dining room host, 30 years of experience. The dining and kitchen staff are beginning to really work well together. Great to hear you liked my new family style service.

See you soon,

David - Owner

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was extremely disappointed on how much Pinegroove has changed and not for the better. There check in procedures are a nightmare, you can't get additional rides with the horses unless you spend all day on stand by. Their rooms are falling apart, they smell and not fully cleaned. Originally advise staff that I needed to make sure they would be able to accommodate a child who only eats chicken and was told no problem. First day of arrival had to go out to town to make sure my daughter was fed. I have to admit they immediately made sure that my daughter was taken car of the remainder of the stay. Very dissatisfied will not be returning.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank ClaudiaG1972
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here from may 4 to the 8th I love the location of the place I like that its different from the city when I arrived there was a problem with my card it has been declined I was stressing I was with my toddler who got car sick and it would be hard for us to travel back four hours im not sure if it was the owner or the manager who told us not to worry to go to the room and call the bank in the morning it was my birthday on the day we arrived they had the room nice and decorated with balloons and also a present that was nice of them. I liked the food the activities the horseback riding and the lake the room was nice I just dint like that my son spilled he's drink and housekeeping dint change the sheets they put the sheets with the stain back on. There was a lot of grown ups and they were so nice to my son also they had a day care which was nice I would have to say that I loved everything about the place it was our first time going we would go back the only thing I did not like and I hope the fire her was the bartender from cocktail hour she just so unprofessional has an attitude looks like she hates her job she looks like she dont like dealing with people I really hope that next time I go she's not there also I love our waitress she was from table 7 also (dont forget to tip them) they treated us so nice also they would ask me if I want it something special for my son to eat it was nice if you go you would definitely enjoy it thanks pinegrove for making my family vacation the I hope next time I go its a lot more hot you would not regret going

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Lisy C
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The overall exterior and interior look of the property is OK. At our arrival we were given the wrong room key by Jeff. Finally we got into the room and the first thing I usually do is change the sheets and check the bathroom. All the fitted sheets were inside out. After a closer look all the fitted sheet were from a locate medical center. Went to the bathroom, took the tape off the toilet and human fecies was in the toilet. We called the front desk to have a supervisor come to our room. While waiting Ruby, a housekeeper, cleaned the toilet without using Clorox or disinfectant and went to find the housekeeper (Gail) responsible for cleaning our room. Gail arrived with her supervisor Mary and general manger Jeff. Gail stated she cleaned the room and someone went back into the room after she cleaned it, took a poop and place the tape back on the toilet. Jeff gave us a complimentary battle of low end wine for our troubles. WOW. The positives: Food is provided throughout the day. Not the best tasting food but its food. Several activities to into. Ryan, the activity coordinator is wonderful....PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO TIP HIM.

Room Tip: I have no tips
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Kenny H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!