“had a great time as usual”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“had a great time as usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

we just spent a week at pinegrove and had a great time. the room we stayed in was updated from last year and looked a lot nicer. there was as always plenty to do for the kids. The wranglers have spent a lot of time and effort opening up trails that have been closed for years, which is really a nice change. The barn and the horse looked great(which I think is the reason you come to a dude ranch, not for the rooms). All the staff at the hotel and the barn were very friendly and helpful. If you are looking to stay in a 5 star resort , this isn't the place for you . But if you are looking to stay in a small family friendly hotel that is affordable and fun stay here. Only complaint I had was they did away with the 24 hour coffee and slushies. being someone who gets up early I like to make my own coffee at my own time. It was nice to walk down to the lobby and grab a cup and go. And the slushies were a favorite of my kids.

Room Tip: stay in Dakota those room seem to be the newer ones
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for being a "Returning Guest", we would not survive without all the guests that come back year after year.

In order to offer some great reduced pricing this year, we had to cut back on a few of the included items; coffee and slushies. We still offer free coffee during Breakfast & Dinner but the rest of the time, it's for sale at the Starbucks Café in the Lobby.

Barn has been getting better everyday, glad you noticed!

Thanks again!

David - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Farmingdale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

If you can overlook the food, which was terrible, and the rooms, which look nothing like the website- there are tons of things for the kids to do. My kids had an absolute blast. But I was, for lack of a more mature term, grossed out. The lunch, which we could only get at the snack bar was disgusting. And our room which was the "Wyoming" smelled like mildew. The staff was moderately polite. The one shining star was the activities director. He was great with the kids.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Tonysgal215
Pinegrove is not for "foodies" that's for sure, however I'm not sure we deserve a "terrible" mark. Let's be straight, how does our free soft ice cream differ from a place that charges $3.00 a cone? Our sandwiches are made fresh right in front of you to your liking, nothing fancy - just ham, roast beef, turkey, bologna and cheese. It's basic lunch, no additional charge and the new salad bar seems very popular. Again, it's a dude ranch...anything more than burgers and dogs for lunch is plus in my book. Pinegrove has over 20 lunch items for lunch, enough to meet most families needs.

Breakfast - just like any diner - eggs, omelets, French toast , Pancakes, Bacon, etc...not sure what could be so "terrible" with this meal.

Dinner - we changed things up this year and most guests like the changes. Family style Hoedown twice a week, carving stations in the dining rooms other nights. Nothing fancy - Ribs, Chicken, roast Turkey, etc..

We will keep doing our best and hope to have a second chance with your family,

David - Owner

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a wonderful time at Pinegrove. My two boys had plenty of activities and fun things to do. The horses and animals in the petting zoo were friendly and lovable, just taking the walk over to see them in the morning was a relaxing time. The rooms could use a little tlc but you're not in the room that often. We even took a ride over to a state park for one afternoon and hiked around a waterfall and lake. I would highly recommend this hotel/resort for a long family weekend. To end every night relaxing by the fire was just heavenly.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back away from the lobby have started to be renovated.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tammi G
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Please make sure you read this review and seriously consider cancelling your trip if you are already planning one or choose another destination. I truly couldn't believe the condition of their hotel and it is a shame that people waste their hard earned money to go here. I had mildew on my shower, the pool was brown and the worst part was there was brown water coming out of the faucets that actually turned the wash cloth a different color while bathing my child. I understand if the place is ran with well water but clearly something is not right for the water to be brown. I am not a food snob I like a wide variety of things but the food was terrible. The lunch area was so unappealing that I just skipped that meal while I was there. The only good thing about this place was the comedian at night and the horseback riding which is supposed to be an hour trail but instead was a half hour. Do not go to the dude ranch, I promise you, you will be highly unsatisfied!! I left in the middle of my stay and went to a lovely resort called SunnyHill Farm instead.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Christina B
Haverhill, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a great time at the ranch, There have been many improvements . Check in was quick and efficient, The room I requested was honored and also renovated!
Food was much better than in the past, The new carving station is there and The new rolls are excellent, no more of the stale cut pieces, every night was fresh and good. The salad bar is a nice addition especially if you have the after lunch ride.Everything was fresh and Ashley did a great job checking to make sure everything was filled and everyone was happy!!The snack bar lines are crazy with the new soda cups and the single order sandwich making. (would be great to see them pre make the popular ones and put them in the case as they did in the past...made the line move quicker, I waited 35 minutes and gave up. So I am very excited about the new salad bar..Great french dressing included!!
The room had been upgraded with a new floor and my housekeeper Gail was exceptional. She went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect.
The new trails that have been opened were amazing, every time you go out there is a new trail to explore . The barn was spotless!! The horses looked great, The wranglers were attentive , helpful and friendly.
Mike is doing a great job and things were flowing smoothly. The grounds looked beautiful and the hallway air conditioners seem to be fixed and working well. Alot of improvements since last year with more to come.
A few things that would be nice to see fixed are. The bathroom by the barn or at least a few port a potties for the guests. The rooms are too far to have to run back to the lobby or your room, alot of the guests were looking for a bathroom also.
With the electronic keys it would be nice to be be able to leave a credit card number or cash and be able to charge on your card, alot of the times when you are at the pool you do not carry cash, but, you always have the room key.
The silver dollar really needs the entertainment back, Stephanie and Nicole were great. I did hear a few people mention that they didn't even know it was there, so a sign with arrows from the lobby may be helpful in getting guests in there. The 2 for 1 hour is also a great addition.
Love the new fire pit, much better location and can be enjoyed by all now that is so close. Although I was traveling solo, you never feel alone there as the staff is one of the best assets and make you feel very welcome!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ROBIN V
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Went with my kids for the Fourth of July weekend, we just came back yesterday and I can’t wait to go again next year. I loved every minute I was there. The staff is wonderful, the surroundings are beautiful, there’s plenty of food, and I haven’t had such a good night’s sleep in years. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to relax for a few days.

Astoria, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I came here about 2 years ago with my kids for a weekend and realized that you needed more than that to really enjoy the place. Everything was included. We didn't spend any money other than paying for the reservation. This time around I went from June 29th to July 4th, well July 3rd cause we didn't want to stay anymore. I bragged about the place and got some friends to join. There were 45 of us. The whole time there, everyone was asking what I was thinking to invite them. The food was horrible. Used to be good. Also there was a 3 page menu, now there's a piece of paper with 3 dishes. Bacon was burnt every time. I can see messing up once, but the whole 5 days I was there. They used to have coffee available 24/7 and it was good. Now you have to buy coffee, unless you get it for breakfast or dinner and it was horrible. Flies everywhere, no air. I wanted to shower 3 times a day for how disgusting it was. You had to pay for bottomless cups, which used to be free. Alcoholic beverage prices went up. They were charging city prices for a small cup. I finish my drink in one sip. Burgers used to be available all day long, now it's only during lunch. Lunch lines took forever. Half the staff had attitude or couldn't speak English. Fishing poles used to be available for use, not anymore. They want you to buy it from the store. We went to Walmart, it was cheaper. The outdoor pool was brown the first 2 days we were there. Someone wiped feces all over the bathroom one night, I went in 2 days later and there were still stains from it. Like it wasn't scrubbed, just wiped away. It must have dried up from being kept that way for so long. The rooms were dirty, like they hadn't upgraded that part of the building since it was built. The washers turned my clothes colors. The colored clothes setting uses hot water, not cold. We lost money in almost all of the soda machines. They screwed us on the horseback riding. We were going as a group and they changed our reservation time. We went there and they only took half of the group. For that, they could have left our original time, so we can go together. It screwed up our plans for the rest of the day. We paid for 5 nights and half of us left early. We couldn't take it anymore. Whoever took over, won't last long at this rate. I spoke with other people there and all I heard was complaints about how horrible it was compared to previous visits. All of the people I spoke to said they wouldn't go back. My friends are still giving me crap for picking the place.

Room Tip: Go to the Rocking Horse, worth the money.
13 Thank AQ_Mom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!