“Rustic resort but fantastic horseback riding!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The resort itself is dated and a bit run down -- but the staff and abundance of activities more than make up for it. Wrangler Mike takes great care of the horses and ensures the guests have a wonderful experience. We chose Pinegrove for the horseback riding, and were not disappointed. My daughter who is a horse-crazy seven year old was able to trail ride every day, and even joined the walk/trot ride! She also enjoyed climbing the rock wall, jumping on the bouncy pillow, and going on hay rides. The day camp program was fun, the staff caring and professional, and the hours flexible. The program had my daughter asking, "Can I go to camp again today?" which allowed my husband and I a chance to gallop off on the advanced rides. If you are looking for an upscale resort, Pinegrove is not for you. But if you like rustic accommodations, high octane fun, and wonderful trail riding, Pinegrove is the place!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have taken a group of senior citizens to Pinegrove three times and each time we have had a very different experience. please note this week was just for seniors-no families,so they said.
The first time was great, the food, service and activities where on point along with the professionalism of the staff, and everyone had a great time.
When we returned the following year for senior citizen week it was a nightmare. poor and under cooked meals, bad service,problems with the rooms, nothing working, little or know activities and the staff was rude, nasty and refused to cooperate in anyway. There were kids of all ages running into the seniors and teenagers hanging out at night running the halls and very loud. They refused to reimburse us for two cancellations and that became a major problem with our agency, like I said a nightmare.
We waited three years before returning, and it was just OK, it had lost it's vacation feel and felt like a stop over. It's too bad because it really could be a nice place to vacation. Poor management.
Good-by Pinegrove

Room Tip: You are at the mercy of the staff even when you ask in advance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kissesandpie
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Pinegrove brought out the cowboy/cowgirl in all of us. The rustic setting gives you a western atmosphere. They have planned games and activities including line dancing,archery,horse shoes,rock climbing,gigantic bouncey,laser tag,karaoke and more. Also, beautiful indoor and outdoor pools. We tried to do it all. Horseback riding on the trails of the beautiful Catskill Mountains was the highlight of our trip. There were nightly cocktail parties [coketail parties for the kids] and snacks with live entertainment--just enough to get you ready for dinner. The food was delicious and plentiful--I am glad it was all inclusive. The service exceeded our expectations. After dinner every night we went to the Bull room for more live entertainment. We had a great time laughing and clapping for comedians,illusionists and juggler. At night we would sit around the campfire making smores and meeting new friends. It amazed me how quickly you made friends with the other vacationers. All our rooms were roomy and comfortable. We are planning to return. I wanted a vacation that was different,fun and leave lasting memories for my children and grandchildren. When my 10 year old grandaughter said that this vacation was better than Disney----I knew I made the right choice,going to Pinegrove

Room Tip: The Nevada and Mesa Verde rooms were wonderful and highly recommended.
5  Thank Liz D
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is my very first review!

We just got back from our weekend to pinegrove. For starters, I purchased a groupon back in April and have been very much looking forward to this trip. I called a week prior to my arrival to confirm my reservation and they couldn't find it and advised me to call groupon to sort it out... Turns out they spelled my name wrong and that's why they couldn't find it... Upon check in I was advised that I had to pay an additional 150.00, apparently the fine print was so fine that allllll the other guests that purchased the groupon didn't see it either... Total SCAM! Nice way to start your vacation. The place was dingy and very out dated, our beds had a plastic covering on them and the shower was very noisy... we did have new flooring in our room so that was nice. Everything closed early which was disappointing. My 6 year old couldn't wait to jump on the bouncy pillow... When we found it he had fun, when we went back they had deflated it. Lots more.... Just disappointed.

9  Thank Djm2116
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We love this place. I only go when i get a good deal though because it can be pricey. I like that they have planned activities throughout the day for the kids to do. Some of the equipment is very outdated though and needs to be replaced, especially the archery. They have recently added a rock climbing wall and a bounce pillow which the kids really enjoyed. The food is quite yummy. They have several choices to choose from for meals. They also have an all day snack bar which includes ice cream (yummy), fries, hot dogs, and pretzels (not so good). They should include some healthier choices though. U can buy a cup for $5 and get free refills.throughout your stay. This used to be free, :-( We enjoyed our stay better in the winter. Snow tubing was fun. We were saddened to hear they eliminated the ski slope. It is very buggy in the summer.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The staff is very friendly and the location is wonderful. The nice stuff stops there unfortunately. It is really expensive for what you get. Be prepared for really old uncomfortable furniture even in the common areas... The only place with wifi. The food for adults was mostly really low quality. For example tough meat, limited healthy vegetable options other than iceberg lettuce and tomato salad and poor quality deserts. Even the sports activities were subpar.. Basketball courts broken up, dud tennis balls, ping pong outside with a sagging net and bird poop layered on, mini golf in a stinky moldy underground cavern. And bring your wallet because everything is extra... Campfire at night.. Buy your s'mores supplies and equipment, Starbucks coffee and filtered water .. Extra. Horseback riding, Air hockey, laser tag and game room..all extra. For $610 for a night for a family of four, this was ludicrous.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I go to Pinegrove every summer primarily to ride. I was so impressed with the improvement in the trails thanks to the hard work of some of the wranglers. The horses are fit and well taken care of and it's obvious that all the wranglers want the guests to have an enjoyable time while ensuring their safety. Improvements are constantly being made to the lodge and the extended hours for Starbucks is a real plus. Everyone wants the guests to be happy and will do whatever it takes. It is really a bargain when you consider the going rates elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nelly172020
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!