“Awesome Family Oriented Vacation!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
“Awesome Family Oriented Vacation!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family of 6 have been back to Pinegrove 3 times and are already looking forward to returning next year. Ryan..the activities director.. was an awesome addition to the team at Pinegrove. He entertained both the children and adults with various lawn/playground/board game trivia games. Our family refers to Pinegrove as "family camp" . It gives you quality bonding time with the kids/family by participating in some old fashion fun! I love watching the kids venture off with new friends and giving the siblings the opportunity to spend time doing the activities that they enjoy without everyone always having to remain in one large group. It also gave my husband and I some quality time alone and with other adults. The food and the menus were great and work well with our family. On other vacations we struggle with when and what to eat. Anyone with children will attest that eating on vacation can prove to be problematic. Pinegrove removes that stress and everyone is full and happy! I wish I could pick my favorite part of Pinegrove but I love it all. The nightly entertainment, the all-inclusive stress free environment, the kind and always accommodating friendly staff, the kids never complaining or asking for something more, the family trivia/board game challenges, the beautiful mountains...the list is endless!! If you forgot what it was like to be a kid at summer camp then Pinegrove is a must!!! And trust me...you will make it a return destination for sure!!

Room Tip: Ask for easy outdoor pool access in the summer and close to the snack bar in the winter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kurt b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

First off this was my second year coming, I came with a girls group both years. My first year was bad. The whole place smells terrible! Outside & inside, i couldn't stand it. The rooms are meh & boring. Walls are thin & you can hear your neighbors clearly. They smell like mold honestly.
Next the pool isn't clean. Lifeguards were rude, & people also at the ranch were rude. Other activities such as rock climbing & archery were dissapointing. Encountered issues with other people harassing the girls & management didn't do anything when we told them.
Only thing the girls loved was the bounce pillow & horse back riding even though my sister & her friend almost got thrown off their horses because the instructors couldn't control the horses. My sister had an anxiety attack & two other girls had asthma attacks. That just added to the horror.
The food was okay. nothing special.
Second year, i wanted to kill myself. As soon as we get there, just dirty and smelly. I couldn't stand it even more than last year i stayed outside as much as possible. Again, boring rooms & they smelled terrible throughout the night.
The employees this year were disgustingly rude! Every single employee was just impatient & looked like they hated their job. The waiter spilled hot coffee on my bare skin & didn't even apologize?! i was infuriated.
The bounce pillow was closed early, the pool was gross, one of our girls saved a little girl the lifeguard was too busy texting. The food was gross, the salad bar was the highlight of my day.
I unfortuantely will not go back. If there were Wendy's, Olive Gardens or other food places around I wouldn't mind maybe staying a little longer if i got to stay away from the staff as well. Tried to give it a second chance & was just pissed off & dissapointed again.

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Shareah D
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Fair enough, we appreciate you giving us a 2nd try. Quite amazing, considering your review "terrible" of your 1st visit. It's obvious that the Ranch is not for you or your girls. Thank you for being our guests and we hope you find a place that is a better match for your family.

David - Owner

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Went here for a family reunion (Friday to Sunday). 1 family member checked her reservation. Glad she did because they had her arriving Sunday at the end of the reunion! Booked during a special for kids stay free. Kids were left off our reservation by the staff. The "manager" wouldn't honor the reservation special or work with us even though it was booked during that time and we had proof of such and tried to make us pay an extra $69 per child per night. He said the owner wouldn't speak to us after asking several times to speak with him. They said they would give the entire group their money back, then changed their minds, then said we could choose to stay 1 night and refund the 2nd night, then changed their minds. They finally said if we stayed only 1 night we would need to pay for all the kids because the promotion we booked under was for 2 nights. After 2 hours of back and forth, we had to stay because they would not refund us our money! To make it worse, we met a couple there who had checked in that morning and were checking out that evening! And a group of people with special needs...wow that staff was ANGRY too!! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! SPOILED THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE FOR US!!!! NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank 14shay
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Pinegrove has strict discount policies, as the date of arrival approaches, discounts disappear. In your case, your confirmation did not have children at the time of reservation. You attempted to add "free kids" after that discount had expired (months ago). You refused to accept that answer. Pinegrove did offer all your rooms a 100% Refund, but you didn't leave. Instead you continued to haggle over the "free kids", Pinegrove would not offer your group a discount that is not extended to all guests at that time.

Then you wanted to stay for 1 night, Pinegrove said no problem, however the kids reserved for "free" months ago had a 2 night minimum. Therefore your group would be required to pay for the kids for the 1 night, exactly the same as other guests. Again, your group did not take advantage of this offer.

Your group did stay 3 days and 2 nights, in the end what your group did not like about our Customer Service was the message "No, if you are adding kids to the bill they must pay the current rate, same as all other guests".

Please read confirmations carefully and make sure they are correct. errors do occur but unless caught at the time of reservation, current rates will apply.

David - owner
Brant Beach
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Our experience at Pine grove was just a nice time. Two days here is plenty as the activities like bingo and Dodge ball can get old fast. Poor "Goldie" couldn't get her line dance class going as there was only one participant. We enjoyed the bounce pillow, rock wall and tennis courts and the pool was beautiful. The pool bar is a shed with a tent in front so the party atmosphere they were trying to capture there fell flat.
Horseback riding is their specialty and it certainly shows! We enjoyed this immensely!
Our rooms (2) were OK..clean with comfortable beds, thin towels, and thin walls :-) .
I was pleasantly surprised they had photographers on premises for riding and dinnertime.
We suggest that Pinegrove use the wristband policy so you're not toting $5. cups around everywhere you go.
We won't be returning, but we all agreed our first dude ranch trip was "nice".
Tip: bring bottled water and beach towels

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lbimomBrantBeach
Thank you for your review and for being our guest. Your comments are appreciated, the wristband suggestion is being reviewed. The challenge is the amount of 1/2 full cups that end up being left (and often spilled) everywhere. We had provided free soft drinks in the past, it wasn't the cost of soda that killed it, it was the vast amount of soda cups that never made the trash cans. At one point we were dispensing more than 2000 cups a day; the current system is very environmental friendly! That's a lot of cups for 300 guests.

Big thanks,

Newark, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Trail riding experience was the best I've had. Wranglers were very knowledgeable and helpful. Staff was accommodating and friendly throughout stay. The barn could use more English rein horses as most people I met ride English. The horse I rode, Morgan, was English rein and a total joy to canter. My son had a great time and was never bored. Good choices on nightly entertainment. Rooms could use upgrades but overall a great experience. We will happily return in the future!

• Stayed August 2014
Cowboy Mike and his Barn Crew are doing a great job. He just finished his 1st years as Barn Manager at the Ranch and the improvements are noticeable. New riding options, horse care, trail works and a happy barn staff are just a few of the improvements.

We look forward to seeing you in the saddle again! I'll discuss English reins with Cowboy Mike, not sure how many horses in the herd have the training.

Pompton Plain, NJ
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We are not seasoned travelers, accustomed to luxury accommodation. So if you are, don't go to the ranch. We were grateful for the free upgrade to the Nevada room. Beds seemed clean, bathroom, was not so good. Thank god we met a very nice family, who shared our same opinion of the place. Which actually made our stay very enjoyable. We ate, drank, and laughed. Some employees were nice (the ones getting tipped), some weren't (the ones who didn't get tipped). It was hard to explain, but the unhappy ones were expressionless. Wranglers and wait staff were very friendly and fed us well. Enjoyed the free cocktail hour, which was served with snacks (cheese, crackers, pepperoni, chips-next day, chocolate fountain, and veggies and dip). Enjoyed the shuffleboard competition with our newly made friends. (We won a few times, cause "That's how we roll in Jersey"). Afterwards, I understood the draw to the ranch. Family and friends could go somewhere, swim, ride horses, play games, and eat well, and not pull out the credit card once. Kids could wander to each activity and you could watch from a distance. Overall, it was fun. I believe the beautiful weather we had, also contributed to the pleasantness of our stay. We were outdoors most of the time. Food was very fresh and felt clean in the dining room. However, the lodge needed the windows need to be cleaned and carpets vacuumed. Don't mind the smells of rustic lodge, but dirty smells are uninviting.

Room Tip: Request first floor for those traveling with elders. Room 134 was actually on the second floor, no...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
For us...It's about Family Fun!

Pinegrove will never be a luxury Resort or Ranch, however if your looking for an affordable family vacation in the Mountains...Pinegrove does that well.

Guests like you are the reason we are here, thank you for your comments and for staying at the Ranch.

David - Owner

PS....we are working on two rooms each week, just new floors and paint.
Oakdale, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We just got back from one of our best family vacations!! We have two teenagers, 17 and 13! Not easy to find something they both enjoy and look forward to...but for our family there is a place...that place is Pinegrove!! There were some improvements and additions from last year when we were there.. like adding private riding lessons, which we took advantage of. They also changed the menu to have a different selection every night. You leave every meal stuffed! There is so much food and it's delicious. Our server Ashleigh was the BEST! She was super friendly...and really took care of us.. but that is "the norm" with the Pinegrove staff. The snack bar is open all day long... not just chips and soda... but hot dogs, fries, ice cream, pretzels and nachos!! Are you kidding?? All included!! I think my 13 year old son got to know the staff on a first name basis...lol. They keep you busy all day long with activities (if you choose to participate, you don't have to) and there is always something to do at night!! We met some great new friends! If your expecting a 5 star hotel when you arrive... you will be disappointed... this is a DUDE RANCH people! It's rustic... its country!! The rooms are nice and accommodated the four of us comfortably. They may need an update here or there.. but honestly... this did not affect our stay at all!! Our family absolutely loves the ranch... the staff are amazing... The wranglers are great!! Marki, Mia, Julie, Flynn and Mike... and all the others I didn't remember to list! We missed seeing Ashley from last year, but got to see Chrissy who was moved to the day camp dept. My husband and son aren't as fond of riding as my daughter and I... but they went fishing, played softball, paint ball laser tag, swimming, basketball...they had plenty to keep them busy!! I just can't say enough about this place. We will definitely be back. We were so sad on checkout day... last year we only stayed the weekend, this time we stayed 4 nights and 5 days... we will definitely be back next year!! In closing, I just want to mention... my husband has been dealing with some medical issues...issues that he couldn't get off his mind. We were worried our family vacation would be tarnished because of this. For the first time in 6 months, he forgot about his issues and relaxed with the family... Pinegrove gets the credit for that one!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Millie B
Wow...I printed your comments and shared it with our staff. All the employees work really hard here and a post like yours, brings a smile to their faces. 2014 has been very exciting for us, adding new programs, more entertainment and spending dollars on the Ranch. I think we finally got the menu right, it varies each night but always has a Ranch feel to it.

I hope all works out with your husband's health, personal health issues make all our issues seem small. Please let me know if he need's another "break" and spend a weekend as my guests this Fall. Just give me a call and mention this post.

See you soon,

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!