“Horrible”

Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. This hotel has so much potential and is huge. It is very obvious that the owner puts no effort in updating the facility. The rugs are disgusting and old. The smell through out is horrible. The rugs are old and stained and in certain areas bunched up. There seem to be a big restaurant that was not open at anytime that we were there. There was no coffee available to the guest unless you wanted to pay for it. The area outside of the indoor pool area looked disgusting. You can tell at one time this place was beautiful but now it has chipped paint, holes, old furniture, horrible windows and the list goes on. When I made my way to the spa I was shocked that area was so nice that it didn't even look like it belonged to the building. When I left this facility I felt dirty. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The sad part is the view is so beautiful this time of the year that they could probably get more guest if they made the hotel more welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank funnygirl827
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We work hard to provide each guest with an exceptional experience, and I sincerely apologize if we failed to live up to our own standards of excellence during your stay. We strive to constantly improve, and your feedback is an important part of this process.

While we’re thrilled that you enjoyed the beautiful view afforded by our property and found our modern spa to your liking, I am extremely concerned by your report regarding the condition of your room.

Please understand that the large group conference you attended was sold beyond the capacity of our regular renovated guestrooms, a situation which forced us to locate you and several other guests in the historic section of our property. While these rooms are not a regular part of our inventory, we went out of our way to ensure that they exceeded industry standards during your stay.

While the classic charm of the historic section of our resort may not be to everyone’s liking, I do feel that your description may be somewhat misleading. It is regrettable that that you didn't bring your concerns to the attention of our Management team during your visit; we would have welcomed the opportunity to remedy any deficiencies and to help you make the most of your stay.

Again, I apologize that your experience at our property did not live up to your expectations. I do hope that you will join us again in the future so we can show you just how enjoyable staying at the Hudson Valley Resort & Spa can be.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

September 23, 2013. After checking in and going up to our room we became aware that staying on our floor was a large group of golfers who were playing at the hotel golf course the next day. They were drinking and making a lot of noise. I assumed this would go on all night and we would not get any sleep. So I called the front desk about it and they gave us a suite on another floor for the same price. They also gave us a free round of golf. The views from the rooms were amazing. The golf course also had great views and was beautifully maintained. If you like hiking and golfing this is the place to be. It's so close to Minnewaska State Park and the Shawangunk mountains. New Paltz is minutes away and has great restaurants and unique shops. We will be back in the spring.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course side
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The staff was very courteous, professional and friendly. All requests were honored with a smile. The food was delicious and the grounds were beautiful and well kept. Fitness center was well equipped and those in my group that used the pool and hot tub only said great things. Looking forward to revisiting the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cocosmom2
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Aug. 3 of 2013 my wife and I stayed here while visiting relatives. The room across from us had several loud screaming people who partied till 5:00am. I called front desk 3x during the night, to no avail. I visited the front desk in the AM, and they said someone would call later in the day. Called the next day and returned 1/2 of our room charge. That was not fair; but, the hotel never returned any more calls.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I don't have alota time, so I'll just write the highlights.
great service
great staff
comfortable
homie
nice
actually beatiful
12 out of 1 to 10
thank you staff of hudson valley I had the time of my life

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this place! Highlights:

* free, good coffee at 4pm -- NICE
* relaxed vibe all the way around; very welcoming
* every single staff person was super nice and helpful
* the breakfast was included and delicious! The fresh fruit was really high quality and the eggs made to order had a lot of choices
* despite the high activity with the all the convention groups, the hotel staff planned the layout of room assignments really well -- our end was very quiet
* this place is an excellent location and close to everything
* the air conditioners were easy to work
* we had fresh chocolate covered strawberries in our room when we arrived! That was so cool and wonderful!

Suggestions:
* oatmeal as a choice at breakfast would be really great
* more help cleaning up the lobby areas in the early a.m.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monique A
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a very nasty and unkempt Hotel. To call it a resort and Spa is a lie! This faciity is outdated and filthy. THe carpeting through out the facility is disgusting. The facility is dank and dark with very little natural sun light inspite of the beautiful grounds. The rooms are infested with Bedbugs and the Linen appears to be dated and poorly maintained. While staying in this terrible location on a group trip many of the person who attened were plaqued with bedbug bites. Many people had to return home to be seen by physicians to address the issues.
The Spa area and the gym that supposedly consists of pingpong tables and indoor pools is so old it appears to be ready to throw in the trash. The pool area is adorned with furnishing that it old mildewed and stained. All of the furiture in the facility is adorned with stains. Sitting on the furniture that is couch like is risk. During my stay every area promoted me to itch and feel uncomfortable.
The areas set up as a restaurant is not well maintained. The chairs are stained in this area as well. During my stay a hair was even found in the food. The wait staff while very nice appeared to be very dirty . They were seen dealing with food without hair nets or gloves. The kitchen area had a roller bed, microwave and stained chair adorned by a old disgusting blanket sitting right outside the kitchen area near the bathrooms.
I would not recommend this location to anyone. The facility is a dump. Dont bring you or your family here unless you want to leave with extra home quests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lesia S
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback. We take reports of pest activity at our property very seriously, and we sincerely regret if your stay was anything less than exceptional.

I must assure you that our property is absolutely 100% free of bedbugs. We contract a professional pest management company to provide regular inspection and service of our hotel and guestrooms each week, whether this service is required or not. While this aggressive program is a considerable expense for us, the health and safety of our guests remains our absolute priority.

I have reviewed the incident report you completed while staying at our property which indicates “two insect bites: left forearm and right ankle”. I also noticed that this report was filed at 3 AM on the first night of your stay, immediately following your group’s late night party with open bar which occurred at our outdoor pool.

According to the CDC’s bedbug fact-sheet, bites will not become apparent for at least 24 hours after exposure, and typically appear in clusters of 3 or more. This suggests to me that the discomfort you experienced was likely due to mosquito bites acquired poolside.

I personally inspected the room number listed on the incident report, and found absolutely no evidence of insect activity; in an abundance of caution, however, we have asked our pest control company to treat the room regardless.

I do sincerely apologize if our décor was not to your liking, but I must take exception to your repeated exaggeration of fact. The Hudson Valley Resort & Spa is a historic property, and we take pride in providing our guests with an exceptional experience.

Our maintenance and housekeeping staff work tirelessly to ensure that all articles and areas are clean, orderly, and in good repair. While we have received nothing but thanks and accolades from the other attendees of your group’s event, we do regret that we failed to meet your personal expectations. However, your descriptive portrayal of the condition and cleanliness of the Resort is simply inaccurate and is clearly intended to offend.

We invite our guests to inspect their room and the property at check in, and to speak directly with Management if they have any concerns. This allows us to immediately take corrective measures to address any problems before they occur, and helps to ensure the continued comfort of our guests and their enjoyment of our resort amenities.

We are a service driven resort, and are happy to go out of our way to help each guest make the most of their stay. I do hope that you will choose to return to our property and see for yourself just how enjoyable staying at the Hudson Valley Resort & Spa can be.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Hudson Valley Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!