“New Years 2012 with Impressa Club”

Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Brooklyn, New York
“New Years 2012 with Impressa Club”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I usually don't write reviews but this time I had to. WOW! We had such a great time here at the New Years celebration hosted by Impressa Club. As soon as we came in the lobby had a DIY coffee stand with cookies (which were amazing, I highly recommend the chocolate chip!)

We were quickly approached, and given keys and directions to our room. We unpacked, and spent some time in the gym/sauna, which was quite nice. Later at night we joined everyone for a delicious dinner, and a show in the hotel room a bit later.

My kids were worried they would be bored or not know anybody, but they soon made friends with the other 20+ kids in the resort, and I ironically was starting to get worried because I barely saw them at all. They really enjoyed the snow tubing outside the hotel, and the campfire organized by Impressa Club one of the nights, with the fire-grilled kebabs and wine.

New Years night was unforgettable, everyone had a great time, everything was included, and needless to say the bottles we brought with us in case there wasn't enough provided, never had to be opened. And just when I was starting to get tired around 4-5am a cook in the back started making omelets (free).

Oh, and we also went snowboarding nearby during the day. And my kids are teenagers more or less, but I noticed there were activities organized for younger children to take part in as well.

I might be forgetting some stuff as I was drinking most of the time, but I definitely remember having a great time, the entire time, and would recommend coming here strongly!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vitaly K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Jackson, NJ 08527
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed one night recently at the Hudson Valley Resort and Spa.
Based on other reviews I was a little apprehensive about what I would find when I got to the hotel but it actually was a decent place to stay. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating (we were originally given a room without a good view plus it was right above their air conditioner compressors which were very noisy. They moved us without a problem.

The hotel does need some TLC. It looks like they've done some renovations in the rooms but they still look somewhat dated though they were very clean and comfortable. Fixing little things like ripped wallpaper, bulbs out in some of the elevator numbers so you don't know what floor it stopped on, weeding the gardens outside, etc.

The free breakfast was good. They had a chef making omelets. The only complaint was there was only the one chef so it took a while to get your omelet.

The main building is in a U shape so if you get an inside room on the sides, your view is of the other rooms only (plus the sound of the A/C compressors) so ask for an outside room with a view of the countryside.

The room rate was lower than other hotels around the area (not much around it unless you travel into New Paltz, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie or Kingston) but they also have a "resort fee". So once you add on the resort fee and taxes it comes out to be priced comparable to the other hotels.

The hotel is minutes away from the Minnewaska State Park which is why I chose it to begin with (fall foliage time). The park has get hiking and biking trails with spectacular views of the valley.

Overall the hotel was not bad for the price and you can't beat the location near the mountains.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the countryside. If you get a room in the main complex, don't ge...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Millville, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We came here for a Country Line Dance weekend. The weekend was great and the facility worked out beautifully for this event. Food was served in a timely fashion (a bit of a snafu with our table's meals on Sat evening) but for the most part more food than you could eat in a day! Wait staff could have been a bit more attentive; the bar staff was friendly and helpful.
On the negative side, many areas of the facility smell musty/moldy. Several others in our group had the same complaint. Reading reviews here we were prepared with allergy meds. Our room was a bit musty smelling but not so much that I felt ill; I have to wonder how often these rooms are used/cleaned...maybe that is part of the problem. Our room was comfortable but the rug hadn't been vacuumed before our arrival; all sorts of stuff on it. Bathroom appeared to be clean and ready for use. Our A/C unit worked but the temperature dial was broken...just spun around and around. Could only control temp by turning the fan up or down.
Overall this once beautiful facility needs some serious TLC (paint peeling, rugs dirty and worn, (paint on our ceiling was two colors), rooms were poorly lit), and to discover why it has these areas (example near the theatre) that smell so moldy. Does the health inspector not notice this?
One of our lightbulbs was burned out and we asked cleaning staff for a new one on Sat a.m. but never got it. Room was tidy enough but definitely did not smell as if it has been recently been cleaned. The pillows were flat, bed was o.k, but not great. We stay at Hampton Inns a lot and compared to their rooms, this place was far inferior. Also, no coffee pot or mini fridge in room. I guess for 10.00 extra a night you could have a small fridge brought up.
Not sure how busy this place is when not hosting an event such as this, but could be an awesome place to stay if they poured some repair dollars into it.
Had we not been here for this fun event we would have checked out and found another facility. We most likely will return for this event again, hoping maybe things will have improved a bit?? But after seeing so many poor reviews I feel this is not likely.

Room Tip: Heard that perhaps there is a newer section. Not sure where we were so can't say for sure if cou...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JeanCG22860
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Booked this place last minute because it was the only room I could find. I was scared by the reviews but usually give a place the benefit of the doubt. The lobby looked decent so I was ok at first. I remembered reading in a review that the "old" section was real bad. The lady told me right away I was in the old section, so I said if I dont like the room I will be back up here for a different room. Walking to it was disgusting. Paint peeling off the wall, stained rugs all throughout the halls, moldy smell. At one point my DH said "i feel like we are in the movie The Shining" and he was right. We dealt with the next room in the "new" section. The positive would be a great view and nice barmaid at the lounge.

Room Tip: Ask for the NEW section !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I had our wedding at the Hudson Valley Resort & Spa recently and everything about this place was amazing. Not only was the location in the Catskill mountains beautiful, but the staff and service was impeccable and made our event go perfectly. Not be to jaded by our own experience, all of our guests raved about the hotel's accommodations, service during our wedding, and friendliness upon arrival. I would highly recommend this Resort and Spa to anyone wishing to plan an event here, enjoy a scenic and enjoyable day on the golf course, or just a weekend to get away. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Not sure how this place can call itself a Resort and Spa! The musty smell and mold and mildew were so bad that we only stayed 1 out of the 2 nights for our conference I witnessed a chair break as someone went to sit down for breakfast , the food was horrible! while the room may look clean it definitely needs some updating, wallpaper peeling huge stains on the carpet not to mention the stains on the wall paper. couldn't keep the window open for fresh air there were no screens so you took the chance of insects flying in. the A/C in the room was broke tried adjusting the control and it just kept spinning, wore my flip flops for fear of what was on the carpet! STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank mamdog1006
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We work hard to provide each guest with an exceptional experience, and I sincerely apologize if we failed to live up to our own standards of excellence during your stay. We strive to constantly improve, and your feedback is an important part of this process.

Please understand that the large group conference you attended was sold beyond the capacity of our regular renovated guestrooms, a situation which forced us to locate you and several other guests in the historic section of our property. While these rooms are not a regular part of our inventory, we took care to ensure that they exceeded industry standards during your stay.

While the classic charm of the historic section of our resort may not be to everyone’s liking, I do feel that your description may be somewhat misleading. It is regrettable that that you didn't bring your concerns to the attention of our Management team during your visit; we would have welcomed the opportunity to remedy any deficiencies and to help you make the most of your stay.

Again, I apologize that your experience at our property did not live up to your expectations. I do hope that you will join us again in the future so we can show you just how enjoyable staying at the Hudson Valley Resort & Spa can be.
Cohoes, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. This hotel has so much potential and is huge. It is very obvious that the owner puts no effort in updating the facility. The rugs are disgusting and old. The smell through out is horrible. The rugs are old and stained and in certain areas bunched up. There seem to be a big restaurant that was not open at anytime that we were there. There was no coffee available to the guest unless you wanted to pay for it. The area outside of the indoor pool area looked disgusting. You can tell at one time this place was beautiful but now it has chipped paint, holes, old furniture, horrible windows and the list goes on. When I made my way to the spa I was shocked that area was so nice that it didn't even look like it belonged to the building. When I left this facility I felt dirty. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The sad part is the view is so beautiful this time of the year that they could probably get more guest if they made the hotel more welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank funnygirl827
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013

While we’re thrilled that you enjoyed the beautiful view afforded by our property and found our modern spa to your liking, I am extremely concerned by your report regarding the condition of your room.

Please understand that the large group conference you attended was sold beyond the capacity of our regular renovated guestrooms, a situation which forced us to locate you and several other guests in the historic section of our property. While these rooms are not a regular part of our inventory, we went out of our way to ensure that they exceeded industry standards during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Hampton Inn New Paltz
#1 of 5 in New Paltz
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Hudson Valley Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!