“Beautiful resort with some aging issues.”

Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent 5 days here for a family reunion. Our group had a private dining area for breakfast and dinner. The food was wonderful and there was more than enough of everything. Our waiters were extra helpful and my coffee cup did not stay empty for long! Our whole group was on the 7th floor and all of the rooms were clean and very spacious. There were small refrigerators in each room that could hold a few supplies and water bottles. There was no safe in the room, but we did not need one anyway. The rooms do have some issues, cracks in the wall and such, but nothing dangerous or not acceptable. Our window was cloudy between the layers of glass and distorted one of the most beautiful views we have ever had at a hotel.

As for the amenities, we used the tennis courts (there are 4) which were acceptable, but had some cracks. The indoor pool was a bit cool for some of our group, but we still spend a good amount of time there. The outdoor pool must have a leak and it constantly has a hose refilling it...that makes it very chilly, especially this unusually cool summer. The pool area has plenty of seating available and even a few tables in the back where we had a picnic lunch of pizza, delivered from a nearby pizza shop.

The lobby is immense and "gloriously dilapidated". The couches were comfortable and plentiful, but the roof leaked during the one storm and the carpet had a few wrinkles that could be a tripping hazard for some.

Only a few negatives: Wifi was not available in all rooms and frequently was overloaded, kicking some of us off. In this electronic age, it is a necessary "luxury" to have dependable wifi in all rooms. The only other negative was the lack of food available for other times. The small food service they called the cafe was not open until 2 pm.. a little late for lunch...and had a very limited selection. Those who looked for coffee during the day were also frequently disappointed as there was no coffee available.

All in all, it was a nice place and suited our needs very well. If you are looking for a fancy, updated hotel with all the amenities, this is not it. If you want a clean comfortable place to stay with amazing location views and lots to do, this is your place. We will be back.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and all of our rooms were comfortable, with working air conditioner and ref...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank numberslady61

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Every year I attend the North American Jewish Choral Festival at the Hudson Valley Resort and Spa. The good news: the staff is cheerful, helpful and eager to please. The housekeeping staff cleans the rooms and common areas as best they can given what's there. The bad news: even the "updated" rooms are moldy, soiled, depressing. Every chair and couch is broken in, stained, falling apart. Every carpet is of an indeterminate color and moldy with stains on the stains. By the end of the 5-day conference, nearly all my friends and I felt like we were coming down with colds because of all the dust and mold. My room had lights that flickered on and off, a cracked air conditioner (mine worked, my friends' didn't), cracked tiles, peeling wallpaper, a very slow shower drain (I hate showering while standing in dirty water). Such a beautiful locale - a fix fix-up would do wonders.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank segalfam
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the details of your visit to our property. We apologize that your experience was not what you expected, and we regret if we failed to live up to our own standards of excellence during your stay.

The Hudson Valley Resort is a historic property. At one time, the Catskills region was a very popular vacation destination, and a great number of grand resorts were built to accommodate the millions of travelers who came each year to enjoy the peaceful natural setting and majestic mountain scenery.

But times have changed, and in recent years tourism to the region has declined significantly. We’ve watched the river of travelers which once flowed to the Catskills slow to a trickle, and many of the grand old resorts have been forced to shutter their doors.

We’re proud to carry on the great Catskill resort tradition, however, and we work hard to ensure that each of our guests has an exceptional experience. As one of the only Catskills resorts remaining in operation, we’re faced with the tremendous challenge of maintaining an enormous property built to accommodate many times more guests than the number of travelers we see today.

We still accommodate tens of thousands of visitors each year. The overwhelming majority of our guests truly enjoy their time with us, and we love having them return year after year. The observations made in your review are the exception to the rule, and we do apologize for your inconvenience.

I can assure you that our resort is continually maintained and improved. Do a few minor problems escape our careful eye from time to time? Undoubtedly. With more than 350 guestrooms and 40,000 square feet of public area, we encourage our guests to report any deficiencies they may encounter during their stay so that our maintenance team can quickly remedy the situation.

We work hard to constantly improve our property. It is regretful that you did not allow us the opportunity to address your concerns while you were staying with us, and that you have neglected to include your room number in your review. Without this information, it will be difficult for us to evaluate and rectify your concerns.

Again, we are a historic property carrying on a proud tradition of excellence as a locally owned and independent hotel. Our guests do not come here expecting the Marriott. They come for an exceptional experience in a beautiful natural setting where they can step back in time, and enjoy the simple things in life.

While your experience may not have met your personal expectations, we do hope that you will choose to return. We would welcome the opportunity to show you just how enjoyable a visit to the Hudson Valley Resort really can be.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The staff at this hotel is great, however that is where the positive experience ends. My room had a gross, musty smell, there was a large dead bug on my bathroom floor, wallpaper was peeling and stained and the beds were very uncomfortable. Oh and it was freezing and I only had one small blanket. I made the mistake of staying here the night before my wedding to save money, big mistake. It was also very embarrassing that I used them for a room block so I had some out of town wedding guests staying there as well. I overheard one of my wedding guests say "I'd rather sleep in the car". It could be great, but it is in desperate need of refurbishment.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
3  Thank loves2trvl924
Jason K, Manager at Hudson Valley Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Where to begin...

I'll start with the positive: Great water pressure (that is, if you don't mind standing in a disgusting bath tub to enjoy it).

After reading the reviews, you might be tempted to think, "Oh, it can't be THAT bad; I'll try it and see for myself." DON'T DO IT. The reviews are true: This hotel is filthy, looks like it hasn't been updated in decades, stains on nearly every wall and piece of furniture. See photos of mystery masking tape on the walls, a burn hole behind a lamp and fantastically-decorated corner of our room). If I wasn't staying there for proximity to a wedding, I would have demanded a refund and left. I had to do some serious deep breathing in order to relax enough to sleep in room (I still get chills just thinking about it).

Additionally, I found nearly every hotel staffer to be rude and uninformed. Upon checking in, I asked where we could get some food, and I was told that "The View" might be open. Might? I had to ask the staffer to find out — turns out the restaurant wasn't open, and we were pointed to a "snack bar" with a few bags of chips and candy (it wasn't open, either).

As far as the food — I was disgusted. We arrived at The View for a free breakfast and found a guy wearing a stained apron, cooking up omelets and openly hacking/coughing all over the place.

Seriously, this is the worst hotel experience I've ever had — and it's not over. I have some $7.50 mystery charge on my credit card that I'm trying to figure out. Called to inquire on a Monday and was told I'd have to leave a message for someone in billing who "might" be around by Wednesday. Great.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Just don't.
4  Thank downgirl06

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My mother, sister and I stayed here this past weekend as part of my 30th bday celebration and it was a HUGE let down. Unfortunately we didn't look at reviews beforehand and boy were we sorry. The hotel is COMPLETELY run-down. It was like a strange time warp. Nothing has been updated since the 70s and because of that items are breaking (e.g., terrible beds and sheets, leaking ceiling in gym, missing light bulbs, wood paneling, AC wall units.. list goes on and on).

We arrived late Saturday night, right in the middle of a Polka convention, 2 weddings and Bat Mitzvah. They put us in the room right above the bat mitzvah and it sounded as if we were on the dance floor. After trying to sleep on the cement slabs they call beds, we couldn't stand the noise anymore (@ 12:25am) and asked for a room change. They told us 2x that there was nothing they could do for us, then finally after the 3rd attempt (and going down to the front desk) they put us in the wedding suite in the "luxury tower". Whomever named it the luxury tower must be blind or on drugs, because it was just as rundown as the rest of the resort. The room they moved us into was a suite, but only had a king size bed, so I was forced to sleep on the couch. I should mention that this "luxury" room comes with a jacuzzi in the bedroom and 2 sofas, one was an old lazy boy couch (which seemed so out of place, we were thinking an employee must have donated it).

We got massages which were ok - not bad, but not great. The masseuse was very sweet, but there was NO staff so we started my appointment 30 minutes after it was scheduled (because she had to set everything up herself). The locker room was again, SUPER outdated. You need locks for the lockers, so you have to bring your stuff into the service room with you. The steam room is broken and the water pressure is terrible.

We did spend some time at the pool which was clean and quiet - again outdated. It was a little difficult to relax over the Polka music that was STILL going on.

Overall, this place was run down and creepy. It was like being at the shinning. They said the place was sold out, but I don't know where these people came from cause it was terrible and I would never go back or send my worst enemy. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Robyn R

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I ended up at this hotel because it was the chosen hotel for wedding guests at a nearby wedding. I wish I would have read Tripadvisor before that and saved me a horrible night at a this broken down hotel. Perhaps it once had a heyday but it has been decades since then. There is no hiding the flaws. Even in the beginning -- when you walk in -- you will be greeted by big stains all over the couches in the lobby. Then you go upstairs and it gets even worse. The hallway is something out of a horror movie with marks all over the room doors (see pictures). Then you go in the room and there are stains galore. The air conditioning filter probably hasn't been changed in years - the quality of the air is horrible. It just felt dirty and uncomfortable. Once of the worst places I've been to in a while. Spare yourself!

4  Thank TravelLoverNYC

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice people, potential for a great resort, but completely rundown. Golf course was a goat pasture and the pool wasn't even open. I couldn't believe the standards of the rooms. Nothing has changed since 1975...sleep with one eye open. Don't let their website fool you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank cpeek

But times have changed, and in recent years tourism to the region has declined significantly. We've watched the river of travelers which once flowed to the Catskills slow to a trickle, and many of the grand old resorts have been forced to shutter their doors.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Hudson Valley Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!