Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Minnewaska Lodge(Gardiner)(Great Value!)
US$209
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa(Ellenville)
US$200
US$75
US$94
US$88
RodewayInn
All reviewshudson valleybeautiful lobbyminnewaska state parkgreat weekendattendeescatskill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2006

I was there 2 weekends ago for a wedding and expected to be going to a resort and spa...definatly NOT what we got. Upon arrival, the staff at the front desk were incrediably rude and unhelpful and there were no bellboys to help with all of our luggage. And the tacky sculptures all around the hotel give it a lovely touch.

We got their around lunch time and we asked the woman at the front desk if there poolside dining (this is supose to be a resort) and she just kind of laughed at us.
We ate at one of the two resturants and have a mediocure meal in a dark and run-down room.

Our room smelled, there were wall-AC units that made loud noices and the bathroom! The bathroom had mildew in the showers and the bath products they give you are cheap.

The pool looked dirty and the towels they give you at the pool are the size of a washcloth. And the pool is basically in the parking lot, not a typical resort atomosphere.

The day of checkout, we wake up to no electricity...we had my 90 year old grandma and 87 year old aunt with us which meant we had to carry them down 8 FLIGHTS of steps because the front desk people said it wasn't their problem.

If you are expecting to go here for a resort and spa atmosphere and treatment, RUN. It was horrible, drity and the staff was rude.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank MarisaCosco
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I attended a conference this past weekend and though the conference was good the hotel was not.

Seems as though the resort is divided into two parts: the decent part and the old cheap motel from the 1950s. Guess where I was placed? Here's my story.

Room access: My room was below the lobby level (it took me 3 tries to find it) There was no elevator to go down, which is no problem if you don't have any luggage with you for a whole weekend. There was no room card but an actual key which didn't fit very well.

The Room: It had two small beds, no coffee maker, no blow dryer, no iron, and no alarm clock (or any clock for that matter). There was a tv to my surprise. It was dark and dingy and looked very out-dated.

The Bathroom: If you want to learn how to surf, do I have the bath tub for you. The tub was not fully connected to the wall. You could see the space between the wall and tub. When you stepped in the tub it felt like a waterbed (you could hear and feel the water underneath the tub) because of the huge air bubbles. You had to hold on to the bar to take a shower. I reported it to the front desk and the maintenance man came out. He shook the tub and pushed the bottom of the tub down and concluded that since it was a plastic tub and not ceramic it was normal for that to happen!!! Not in my lifetime.

When I went to the front desk to ask for an iron, they asked me what room I was in. I gave my room number and they said that my room did not come with an iron. So I asked if they had rental irons (just a try). They said no and said I could get one at a drug store or Walmart.

The hotel appearance: The lobby wasn't bad. There was renovating/construction throughout the hotel. Ceilings were leaking in different parts (even some of our conference rooms). Smelled moldy in hallways.

Food: I've read the other comments and since I was at a conference we did have breakfast, lunch and dinner. The dining service personnel were great. There were courteous and prompt. The food was alright, not the best but definitely edible. I think there were a couple of restaurants within the resort, but I didn't get to try them.

Overall: The ride up the mountain was beautiful, but that's where it stops. I'm not happy with the fact that I paid the same rate everyone did and received less than even mediocre service/rooms. I would not recommend this resort to anyone ever.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank pphilip
Reviewed 19 June 2006

I should have known when I signed up for a conference at the Hudson Valley Resort and Spa that I'd be in trouble! I grew up in the sticks of upstate, NY, way north of Kerhonkson and even I thought this place needed some help! Some people thought it was great because of the views, not the case! If you don't often see green grass and trees, fine it's nice for 10 minutes, but the hotel itself is not worth it!

I arrived in the afternoon at about 4. Upon my arrival I found out that there was not actually internet access in the rooms. You better have your WiFi card and go to the lobby because that's the only place to get internet. Not good if you need to actually do work, like me. Especially when, as my conference was going on, the entire lobby was filled with a flea market of some sort! The parking lot was filled with antique cars and there were some odd looking men that followed me onto the elevator at 11 pm. the next night!

I've stayed at Super 8's that had nicer, cleaner rooms than this resort! The toilet paper roll had obviously fallen off the wall and been put back in a different place, but the old holes were still there. The same had happened with the pictures. The furniture didn't match and the air conditioner didn't really work either. I couldn't figure out how to work my lights for 2 days.

I figured I'd grab something to eat at the "Resort" when I got there in the early evening, maybe even order room service. When travelling alone to a conference one never wants to be without the option of eating alone in your room! There was no room service and I couldn't find a vending machine with food anywhere. I went to mcdonalds about 20 minutes away. Breakfast for the conference was pretty good. I'm not used to getting a full buffet breakfast, usually its coffee and bagels. Lunch was ok. Pasta and sauce doesn't rank high on my list!

The facility chairs were awful and dirty. I was always afraid I was going to sit on something. There was also loud pounding during one of our sessions. The conference went from 4 pm wednesday to 11 on Friday and I high tailed it out of there at 7:30 a.m. on Friday. I just couldn't take the lack of phone calls, (local calls on the room phone are .50 cents a minute!), and the odd balls that had arrived for the flea market/car show anymore.

I grew up in a small town, but I don't think anyone wants to vacation where getting away from it all is so far from civilization and so poor on accomodations!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank InternetSavvy
A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 11 June 2006

Where do I begin?

Stayed at the HVRS as the back-up location for a conference recently due to the fact that the place we were going to stay at had a fire.

The HVRS is nestled in Kerhonkson, NY a short haul (though very picturesque drive) from New Paltz, NY. Upon entering the facility your first warning sign to go back will come thanks to the faux Italian sculpture gracing the grounds... it's gaudy, but we were hoping that everything else would be OK. Wrong!

Check-in was average ... the large lobby was frequented by locals who were there to play golf and just hang. The original room we were assigned (my wife and I) had 2 double beds and was equal to, if not worse than a rundown Motel 6 or Super 8 Motel ... pretty shabby for a "resort." The windows to the room (with a very beautiful view by the way) were BROWN! I kid you not!! They were gross and some former occupant/guest who stayed in the room actually fingerpainted the dirt and grime on the window to make a happy face. The bathroom was dark due to 1 overhead burned out light.

The floor to the room was not clean and we actually found a bobbypin and a used AA battery just lying next to the bed. I immediately marched down to the lobby front desk and demanded a different room. Apparently most, if not all rooms have the same bed layout (2 SMALL double beds - you're reading my mind "just perfect for a romantic evening - NOT!).

Our second room was marginally better (same bed layout) but lacked a view. There are only two lamps in each room plus a desk lamp ... the 2 bigger lamps have 40 watt bulbs and everything is dark (maybe to hide the age of the facility). Carpeting is old, pictures are missing from frames and it is a very tired place indeed. The beds are terrible and very uncomfortable ... many folks from our conference complained and were uncomfortable - conference facilities were average. Hotel management seemed somewhat OK (though indifferent) ... dining room staff were quite pleasant to deal with and eager to please.

P.S. Someone should tell the facility management that it is not wise to let rainwater puddle on a flat roof ... this was the view out of our window. All night long the windows rattled thanks to the gusty wind and believe it or not, the resort's fire alarm went off at 5AM in the morning for no apparent reason and we were awakened but then the alarm mysteriously stopped (no explanation for that at checkout).

The hotel food was actually not terrible, but lacked flavor and spicing (there are very much better cheap eats and ethnic restaurants in New Paltz), although the HVRS kitchen gets a thumbs-up for serving decent coffee at the right temperature. The hotel is mostly very dark looking indoors and has a decidedly musty smell. I'm told that the indoor pool is pretty awful (lots of chlorine always spells trouble in a pool for sanitary reasons).

Note: there is literally almost NO cell phone service at HVRS unless you go to the tip top floor of the tallest building ... the locals seem to enjoy watching tourists lose cell phone service over and over again. I got lots of laughs from some of the locals who were watching me fiddle with my phone which kept dropping calls. Be forewarned.

I have heard that the HVRS has just been sold to a gentleman who wants to convert it into a resort for vacationing Hasidic Jews. Regardless of who the resort is intended to serve, I'm VERY glad that I will never return and that it was a free night. The worst place I've stayed at in many years. Avoid it BIGTIME! You have been warned ...

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business