“Never Again”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
Needham, Massachusetts
“Never Again”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stay in the Kingston area a few nights per year when visiting family and I all I need is a comfortable and quiet room. The Courtyard and the Hampton Inn across the street are the only two name brand hotels in the area.

This past stay at the Courtyard hit rock bottom. When we first got to our room (337), we were happy. It was on the top floor and at the very end of the hall. The room seemed quite clean.

The first bad thing we noticed was this dark black mold ring along the shower bottom. That was shortly followed by realizing the bed was hard as a rock and quite worn out. There was a super light blanket on the bed and some paper thin sheets.

It was quite late, so all we did was go to sleep and the first thing we heard was the wind whistling outside. It was windy, but not windy enough to cause any real noise. Not sure what caused the whistling noise, but it went on all night long and it was quite loud. Then like clockwork, every hour or so, the train across the street would go by blowing its whistle as well.

All in all, we had a terrible night’s sleep.

They have done a great job maintaining the central hotel areas which are quite nice, but are clearly doing it at the expense of comfortable bedding and quiet rooms.

There are not a lot of choices in this area, but this hotel is no longer one of them.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the front of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bw411
Shiona H, General Manager at Courtyard Kingston, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I do apologize for the inconvenience you have occured during your stay. We strive to make your stay a comfortable home away from home. We have looked into the issues that you have stated and took care of them immediately. We are having a room remodel as well starting in January, we we are looking forward to that. When coming back to the area please call me directly or Lara Hart in sales and we would love to be able to make this up to you. Look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I guess it was a perfect location to spend few days of work around the area. Groceries, gas station, restaurants, mall and few more things are just nearby. As for the hotel, room is spacious, clean and quite. Hallway is clean. Cafe restaurant is presentable and clean. Fitness gym is better. Although the bathroom is spacious and clean, the only thing I don't like about it, is the glass mounted beside the bathtub. It is quite scary since accidents happens and if you slip while you are taking a shower, and if you are not careful enough, you might hit at the edge of the glass. Just be extra careful when taking a shower. But overall, I like the hotel. I would love to stay here again if I have that chance in the future, staying or just passing by.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GTCube
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We will look into the shower area and will take action, I do appreciate that you pointed that out to us. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Springfield Gardens, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were tired after driving to Kingston, and looking forward to dropping our bags and resting. When we were checking in, there was some confusion with our reservation and we were at the desk for some time. Fortunately, the staff was wonderful! Not only did they resolve the problem, but we were given complimentary cocktails.They completely transformed what could have been an unpleasant situation, and we forgot about the long drive immediately. Lovely hotel, and terrific staff!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! I am so glad our wonderful staff took great care of you! We strive to be your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A great hotel with a great breakfast located in view if the Catskills Mountains. It is located at the side of the mall and moments from throughway and the Hudson River. They also have great staff. It is located about 5 minutes from Rhine-cliff bridge and 5 minutes from the city of Kingston, 10 to Saugerties and 15 to Woodstock.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank DeltaBiker
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! We appreciate your kind words about the hotel and staff. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!
Hillside, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stopped for dinner on a Thursday night at an AppleBee's,before checking-in at the Courtyard Marriott Kingston. In AppleBee's and the Courtyard lobby, there was a heavy emphasis on Football themed decorations and large screen TV's :-).

This was my third visit to the Courtyard by Marriott Kingston. In the past, my biggest challenge was just finding the hotel and the local diner to grab breakfast. Stumbling off the street into the Courtyard by Marriott's version of AppleBee's was a little bit jarring.

When I sat down to plan my layover in Kingston, I had decided to ante-up for the higher-priced room rate that included the breakfast buffet. As I walked-up to the [breakfast buffet] Cafe style dining counter to put in my breakfast order, I was thrown a little off-guard by the Ala-Carte menu. The open breakfast buffet that I had enjoyed at other hotels had disappeared. Instead, like MacDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King, I got the pleasure of walking-up to the counter and putting in my order.

The StarBucks coffee was a delightful surprise. But, the tasteless overcooked microwaved sausage was a dis-service to any and all food service kitchens. What's the old expression, "I've met John Kennedy, and you're no John Kennedy :-)?" Certainly, to charge Cafe prices, an eatery should have more than a microwave (?) behind the black curtain :-).

At breakfast, the "Monday Night Football / AppleBee's" decorations had been retired. As I checked-out, the staff were kind enough to brew me another cup of StarBuck's coffee for the road.

Any Cafe that get's the coffee right can't be all bad :-).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lutillman
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback! We really appreciate your input. We are glad that you enjoyed our rooms and our Starbucks coffee. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!
Ithaca
Reviewed 31 October 2013

No surprises here, but I guess that's a good thing. The room was fine, the breakfast was really not bad, everything as you would expect from a Courtyard Marriott. The price seemed on the steep side for this type of hotel, there must be some kind of demand for the area. The location is a bit hard to find, as others have noted, it is deep within a strip mall and easy to miss.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write feedback on our hotel. We appreciate you staying with us at the Courytard! If there is anything my team or I can help you with, please let us know. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!
Connecticut
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this Courtyard and found it to be a typical experience. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was clean and in good condition. A small refrigerator is included as is a coffee brewer. All of the employees at the front desk were helpful and friendly. A few small complaints. This hotel is not easy to find. It is located in a shopping center next to a Target store in a large shopping mall. Entry and exit is a bit of a chore. Also, ask for a room on an upper floor and in front of the hotel. A rail line is directly in back of the hotel. It is well disguised by landscaping. The train passes by about four times a night. The engineer blows the warning whistle several times as the train passes. If you are a light sleeper this will be a problem.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ARJACT
Thank you so much for the feedback that you have left. We appreciate your kind words about our rooms and our hotel staff. We strive to be your home away from home. In regards to the train noise, we do apologize about that. If you would like to make a reservation with me directly or with Lara Hart in our sales department, we would be happy to put the request for a room in the front of the hotel for you. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
Super 8 Kingston
Super 8 Kingston
#5 of 10 in Kingston
Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

Been to Courtyard Kingston? Share your experiences!