“Quite good”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bangalore, India
“Quite good”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I Liked this location as that entire street was full of eateries and a mall right across the street. Macy's as well. There was a Wendy's too right across.
There is this small thai place beside this hotel and I loved the food there.
Rooms are good., nice pool, very hospitable staff.

Room Tip: No room service, bur the location has a lot of eating places around it
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Anusinghs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here when visiting West Point and the FDR Library. This is one of the nicest, best run Hampton Inns that I've stayed in. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank roadtested
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2012

What was Hampton Inn thinking when they chose the location for this hotel? They couldn't have found a more picturesque place? This is the Catskills after all. But this locale could have been anywhere USA and industrial/retail at that. (If I pressed my face to the glass and looked to the right I could barely see a mountain.) Don't get me wrong--the place itself is fine, once you're inside. The location is funky, however: in back of the CVS and Taco Bell, up against active freight train tracks, and across the access road from a supermarket. We stayed a Monday and Tuesday night. Yes, the staff is nice. Yes, the rooms are Hampton clean and appointed. Up side: it's close to the thruway and bridge. Hate to knock the Hilton chain since it's usually my first choice when booking, but this Kingston location is not their best moment.

Room Tip: Try the front side rooms if you don't want to hear the train. Don't expect a vacation-type p...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2012

After a long and very warm day on our motorcycle, we pulled up to this hotel and were treated like royalty. Kudos to Sandy, the DOS for her kind and very hospitable way. This is a beautiful property and very well cared for. The General Manager and Sandy were both present in the breakfast room in the morning mingling with the hotel guests. The suite we had was immaculate and very comfortable. The front desk staff were friendly and obliging. Thanks Hampton Inn for a lovely but very short stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We visit NYC every year for a month (April/May) and like to do a quick trip out of the city for a few days (DC, Boston, Chicago).

This year we thought we'd try upstate New York after hearing it was beautiful, green, scenic with lost to do. After I learnt Joan Rivers was performing in Kingston, that was it. We were going. I checked all the reviews on Tripadvisor and it was evident Hampton Inn was the best in the area, so I booked it. The drive up was quite pleasant - until we rounded off the highway and straight into the Taco Bell carpark (also the Hampton Inn). We were a little shellshocked, to say the least.

Once inside the hotel, everything was certainly pleasant - bathroom was nice, room was certainly large enough and the bed was comfortable. Complimentary wifi was a nice touch, too. Previous reviews had suggested getting a room at the front of the hotel to avoid the sound of the trains - but is the view of the carpark really the better option?

Maybe my gripe is more with the Kingston area (at the risk of offending the locals - and maybe I should have done more research but all the local tourist websites imply there are heaps to do) - it felt like I was staying in a roadside highway in an industrial area. I'm sure the Hampton Inn is a great option during winter when folk go up to the Catskills to ski...but I have no idea what goes on here during Spring/Summer.

We drove down to the waterfront area in downtown Kingston..which was fine for 30 mins. If you're into arts and crafts, I'm sure you'd love it here.

But we won't be coming back.

We ended up checking out the next day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marika_G
Vermont
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We were impressed with how nice this hotel was and what a good value it is. There was a plentiful and healthy (and varied) breakfast, and nice workout room, and incredibly friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vermonter2010
Dayton, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife I stayed at this hotel recently. The place is new and it's located in a very busy retail area. I thought we were in a right location until at night we could hear all the traffic in the area. Not only the traffic around, but I was shocked at the noise that woke me up in the middle of the night, it was a train that was going right behind the hotel. The crossings are right next door and every time the train goes bye it blows a loud whistle. I would think twice before I stay at this place again. You would never know this until the middle of the night.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank John G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Hampton Inn Kingston? Share your experiences!