“Bare bones, but clean.”

Superlodge Kingston
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I agree with the other reviewer: You get what you pay for. Our budget was around $100 for the night, no frills needed. - We had checked ahead through our local friends: The ongoing renovations at the Garden Plaza Inn made that venue unacceptable for us (and they didn't lower their $165/night price over there despite the dust and racket). So, we expected not much and had an ok stay.
The rooms on our floor had all recently been renovated, and it was clean -- all we asked for. There was no coffee maker, no shampoo, and the towels were the thinnest, smallest, and scratchiest I've ever seen. At least there was a mini-fridge. For our on-the-road trip it was ok.

The rooms facing the busy Route 28 get traffic noise. You may want to ask for rooms in the back, which should be quieter and look out on a strip of grass at least.
I looked at the indoor pool but didn't use it.
The Family Diner next door is awful. Don't bother to stop there for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, not facing busy Rte 28.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chrisjazz

Reviewed 25 August 2013

You get what you pay for with this place. It is one of the least expensive hotels in the Kingston area, and there is certainly a reason for it. The hotel is very dated and needs substantial renovations. The comforter on my bed and furniture in my room could have been 20 years old, the sliding glass door had gaps that let some mosquitoes and small bugs into the room, and the facade of the building could use repair in places - some cans of paint would sharpen up the back of the building substantially, it makes me wonder why the hotel does not invest in even the cheapest of materials - paint - to improve the look of the place. This signals to me that the owner has largely stopped trying and caring. Like another writer, i also struggled to open the shampoo and don't think I could have done so without scissors. The towels were very thin and need replacing.

That said, my room looked clean to me. If you are price conscious and want the bare minimum - a cleanish room - and can put up with a lack of charm, old furnishings, and a place that seems to be on it's last legs, this is a good option for you.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MRT2000
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Entrance on the side near "Diner" was always open. My room was on the ground floor side/back and had a patio door that overlooked a broken looking railing. And some man walked by the window a couple of times going into a side door or something. The room was dated, dank and dirty. I booked a 4 nights and left after the first night. No coffee in the room, and when I went to the diner for a cup, the lady asked me if I was a motel guest and when I said yes she said I got the special rate. $2.00 for a cup of dishwater? Never again. It makes the Quality (which aint so nice) across the Street look like the Plaza. AND they BETTER not try to bill me.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank D
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Inn is past it's prime but if you only need a place to sleep this inn is located minutes from the Thruway. It was the cheapest location in the Kingston area about 40 miles south of Albany. There are several historic places in Kingston and you can see elements of the Dutch influence from 1660's. If you have the time for breakfast or lunch eat at Desing's Bakery in town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jack E
Reviewed 4 August 2013

When I saw the entrance sign was spelled "enterance", I knew attention to detail wouldn't come into play.
Smelly, dirty carpets throughout, worn out blanket, every thing in the room is stained, chipped or old, and not that clean.
No wifi to be found, shampoo in little plastic packets that are UNOPENABLE, the only way I would stay here again is if nothing else was available.
The mattress was ok, and the AC worked well.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I need a place for 5 nights near Rhinebeck, and decided to stay at the Superlodge in Kingston since everyplace else seemed so overpriced. I did not have high expectations, as I am a bit of a hotel snob, but figured it would just be a place to shower and sleep... I was VERY pleasantly surprised on every level. First, when I arrived very early on Sunday and there were no rooms available, Dawn really went the extra mile to try to get me a room as soon as possible - and I was in my room at 11:30 AM - you really can't ask for more than that - actual posted check in time is hours later than that, and they were actually sold out the night before. Dawn was polite and hospitable, and told me where to find a good breakfast while I waited.

My room was very clean - the bed comfortable - everything you need is there. My only "complaint" was the curtains need cleaning. I did mention that to one of the young men manning the front desk at night/early morning (all very nice - I talked to three of them during my stay and they are all great - BK and Steve and sorry-I-forgot-your-name!!!
My room had a sliding door on the ground floor and I loved being able to open it for fresh air. So many hotels make you feel like you are trapped in a hermetically sealed box - it's great to be able to open up and breathe the air! :)

The lobby is immaculately clean and full of windows so even though it's not luxurious, it has a happy vibe. The coffee machine grinds the beans fresh when you order a cup, and the result is great - and I am VERY picky about coffee! :) I brought my own mug and tip: you need to press start twice to fill a regular sized mug but it's hot and fresh and perfect.
My room had a small fridge which was important for storing snacks and drinks for a 5 night stay....

...which, due to a family member health emergency (everything okay now) I had to cut short after only 3 nights. I left in kind of a hurry first thing in the AM, and forgot my memory foam pillow which I always travel with. Dawn and BK (sp?) took care of it by making a special trip to the post office to send it home to me, and did not charge me a cent. Now, I ask you, is this service, or is this SERVICE? And with a SMILE - they are both the nicest most sincere people, and I want to publicly thank them!!

I would absolutely recommend the Superlodge in Kingston NY for anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms I had was toward the front with a sliding door to the outside, and it was quite noisy (fro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DJEVirginia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Kingston is my home town so I've never had a reason to stay in a hotel until I moved northwest and visited for Father's Day. The Superlodge is exactly what it reads - convenient and cheap - and at $99 a night for a queen-size bed it does the job for either overnight or if you're staying in the area for the weekend. A major plus is that the hotel is right-off the NYS thruway. But unless you're looking for local fare, the downside is you'll be travelling via highway 209 at least 10 minutes to find a variety of places to eat.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Residence Inn Kingston
Residence Inn Kingston
#3 of 10 in Kingston
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Superlodge Kingston? Share your experiences!