Stayed at this Quality Inn due to a family wedding this past weekend. There were some pros and cons about the whole thing:
Pros: Good location, literally right off the NY Thruway. The hotel is *very* dated, but it appears that they're in the middle of renovating certain aspects of it slowly but surely. They are redoing the pool, which seems to be a good size, and should be open by this weekend.
Cons: I made a reservation directly with the hotel, calling to make arrangements as my cousin had arranged for a block of rooms. They denied he had done so; yet, a few hours later, another family member called and was able to do so. At the time, it didn't matter, as the rate quoted was the same, but when we checked in, we were supposed to be given welcome gifts they refused to release as we weren't on an approved "list." Turns out, talked to the family member who said a list was provided several times AND that he called them to pretty much say, "Hand them out to anyone who provides my name." Nope. Didn't work. In fact, the staff member who refused to hand out the bags was a bit surly about it, from what I've observed personally and from talking to other guests. As a family member, it didn't matter, but I know some of his out of town guests were a bit put off.
The restaurant where they serve "continental breakfast" is pretty shabby looking, and the staff hustles, but it's just a depressing looking place in the daytime.
NO ONE on the staff was wearing a uniform. Not the front desk staff, not housekeeping, no one I interacted with directly. Which subtly added an air of unprofessionalism to the place, in my opinion. There were no children with us, but I could see parents getting nervous with NO staff members being easily recognizable at a place right off the highway ramp where anyone could wander in at all hours.
As others have said, the rooms are dated. The bathroom sinks are a bit lower in height, which makes me think the hotel might have been built in the 50s when folks were likely shorter. ;) The rooms were big, which was fine, but the beds were *hard* (and I like hard mattresses!).
Granted, they're a tourist trap, and pretty much have rooms that will be booked for most of the year because of their location -- but I doubt they'll ever get return visitors. They really should just shut down the whole place for a few months and redo the whole dang thing -- as it is, I doubt I'd ever stay there again...I'd rather spend the extra 50.00 and go 5 minutes more up the road to the Courtyard Marriott (where the rest of the wedding guests stayed -- we had ended up at Quality Inn because siblings could only meet us on Saturday and Courtyard was booked).
Finally: in the restaurant, I overheard a conversation where a table of seniors was complaining about their rooms. One had ants, another had a leaky faucet, and another room had hard beds.
I really try hard to find the best of a property, but staff attitude, apparent lack of professionalism, quirky rooms and depressing restaurant -- this was the first time I had been to a Choice Hotel in years, and now I remember why I don't go to them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Quality Inn & Suites, a Kingston hotel in the heart of the Catskill Mountains. Perfectly located off Interstate 87 near Catskill Park, the Quality Inn & Suites™ hotel is less than four miles from the Hudson River Cruises. This Kingston, NY hotel is within 15 miles of Horse Shows In The Sun (HITS) and Bard College. The State University of New York at New Paltz (SUNY New Paltz) is only a short drive from the hotel. The Dutchess County Fairgrounds, home of the Dutchess County Fair and Rhinebeck Antiques Fair, is just minutes away. The Hudson Valley Garlic Festival, voted the number one Food Festival in the United States by USA Today , is also close by. Several shops and restaurants are in the surrounding area. Be sure to visit Roudigan's Steakhouse and the Hollywood Lounge, located on the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quality Inn & Suites Kingston reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn & Suites Kingston Hotel Kingston
- Quality Inn And Suites Kingston
- Quality Inn Hotel Kingston
- Quality Inn Kingston Ny
- Kingston Quality Inn