“The name does not say it all”

Quality Inn & Suites Kingston
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family and I had the opportunity to stay here during May 31 for a family wedding nearby. Let's just say my disappointment with this place started the minute I walked in. We were greeted by a young man in jeans and tshirt, which is fine, but his jeans were half way down his buttocks exposing his dark gray underwear. Really?!?! That's some customer service. He checked us in fine and directed us to our non-smoking room (263) which oddly enough came with the worst smoke smell I've ever experienced. It it also came with 2 ashtrays, in case I wanted to add to the aroma in the room. Not a single bottle of water in the room, the bathroom door would not shut (usually not a problem but I had my 2 daughters, and the best yet, I only paid $220 for 1 night. Without a doubt my worst hotel experience ever. I would have been better off sleeping in my car.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
2  Thank runningonq
QualityInn12401, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

We would like to express our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience during your stay. It is saddening that our staff was not able to give the best impression during your visit. This will be discussed with them- courtesy, efficiency as well professionalism in the way they dress. Your concern regarding the non-smoking room with be immediately attended, we want you to have a stay that is worth the value you’ve paid for. The details that you’ve mentioned will be focused on and necessary improvements will be implemented. We sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future. Please do consider us again on your next trip.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Kingston

Reviewed 29 May 2014

As my husband I meandered home to Ontario Canada from a cruise ship, that docked in New Jersey, we stopped in Kingston New York. Finding the hotel was little complicated but our tour through the city was interesting and the hotel is actually well situated outside of the city.We were weary travelers and happy to find a hotel with a restaurant that we most thoroughly enjoyed. Our room included a discount at dinner and a complimentary breakfast at Roudigans. The woman who checked us in and the next morning also checked us out was delightful. She was helpful giving directions, making sure that we accessed all discounts/deals that we were eligible for and went out of her way to ensure our stay was enjoyable.She is an excellent ambassador for the chain and this hotel.Our stay was only the one night so we did not interact with other staff but if she was any indicator of the quality of staff this hotel provides exceptional training. The room itself was only fair and the decor and furnishing are a little tired. The pool area looked dreary and we did not visit the work-out area.The WIFI however was amazing and having been away for a couple of weeks it was nice to reconnect with friends and family from our hotel room. I am not sure that my travels will take me this way again but if it did I would probably return to this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
QualityInn12401, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

It was a delightful experience serving you during your recent stay in our Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the services provided by our staff, the discount at dinner and complimentary breakfast. Your feedback will be shared with our Front desk staff and rest of the team. Our aim is to ensure that your lodging experience is exceptional and we are happy to know that we were able to exceed your expectations of our services. We will be looking forward to your next stay next time you are in Kingston.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent two day here the second night they did not clean our room, front desk said everyone leaves at 3 pm.. So tough...gave us some clean towels and clean it yourself.. Hey for 189.00 a night next time I will stay elsewhere, we ask for a manager, and several days later no manager, nor call no email, just took our money in full..
Never experienced this type of service, spend 45-50 night a year at Hilton's and Marriotts, they are far superior and this would have never happened at there hotels..
Keep you Quality in Hospitality!!!,,
It is a shame this hotel could care less about its customers.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, go elsewhere.
2  Thank tinkerman33

Thank you for taking the time to write us an insightful review. It is indeed saddening to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on Housekeeping as well as Front desk assistance. We have checked what happened from our Front desk staff and they said that our Housekeeping saw that there was a Do Not disturb sign on your door. We dearly value every customer who visits our property. Our staff and team will always be more than happy to ensure that your needs are properly attended. Rest assured that these comments will be discussed further with them and corrective changes will be implemented to ensure that these will handled differently in the future. We sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future. Please do consider us again on your next trip.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed at this Quality Inn due to a family wedding this past weekend. There were some pros and cons about the whole thing:

Pros: Good location, literally right off the NY Thruway. The hotel is *very* dated, but it appears that they're in the middle of renovating certain aspects of it slowly but surely. They are redoing the pool, which seems to be a good size, and should be open by this weekend.

Cons: I made a reservation directly with the hotel, calling to make arrangements as my cousin had arranged for a block of rooms. They denied he had done so; yet, a few hours later, another family member called and was able to do so. At the time, it didn't matter, as the rate quoted was the same, but when we checked in, we were supposed to be given welcome gifts they refused to release as we weren't on an approved "list." Turns out, talked to the family member who said a list was provided several times AND that he called them to pretty much say, "Hand them out to anyone who provides my name." Nope. Didn't work. In fact, the staff member who refused to hand out the bags was a bit surly about it, from what I've observed personally and from talking to other guests. As a family member, it didn't matter, but I know some of his out of town guests were a bit put off.

The restaurant where they serve "continental breakfast" is pretty shabby looking, and the staff hustles, but it's just a depressing looking place in the daytime.

NO ONE on the staff was wearing a uniform. Not the front desk staff, not housekeeping, no one I interacted with directly. Which subtly added an air of unprofessionalism to the place, in my opinion. There were no children with us, but I could see parents getting nervous with NO staff members being easily recognizable at a place right off the highway ramp where anyone could wander in at all hours.

As others have said, the rooms are dated. The bathroom sinks are a bit lower in height, which makes me think the hotel might have been built in the 50s when folks were likely shorter. ;) The rooms were big, which was fine, but the beds were *hard* (and I like hard mattresses!).

Granted, they're a tourist trap, and pretty much have rooms that will be booked for most of the year because of their location -- but I doubt they'll ever get return visitors. They really should just shut down the whole place for a few months and redo the whole dang thing -- as it is, I doubt I'd ever stay there again...I'd rather spend the extra 50.00 and go 5 minutes more up the road to the Courtyard Marriott (where the rest of the wedding guests stayed -- we had ended up at Quality Inn because siblings could only meet us on Saturday and Courtyard was booked).

Finally: in the restaurant, I overheard a conversation where a table of seniors was complaining about their rooms. One had ants, another had a leaky faucet, and another room had hard beds.

I really try hard to find the best of a property, but staff attitude, apparent lack of professionalism, quirky rooms and depressing restaurant -- this was the first time I had been to a Choice Hotel in years, and now I remember why I don't go to them.

2  Thank Altosong
QualityInn12401, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. It is good to know that our location provided convenience when you needed to attend a wedding during your stay. Your valuable input determines the quality of service we provided during your visit. We are saddened to hear that our staff’s demeanor was unlikely and that our accommodation was not what you have expected of from our property. Rest assured that these will be immediately attended and necessary improvements will be made to ensure that our changes will provide a much better stay in the future. Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

After having the worst experieence of my life at the Rodeway Inn in kingston ny. I found this quality Inn. Everything was great! Friendly staff great large and clean room. Bathroom was flawless. If you're staying in kingston ny, and want to stay at a choice hotel the Quality Inn is your best option. The rodeway inn is a dump! Choice hotels is downgrading their selfs by letting the Rodeway Inn be apart of their chain.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank john s
QualityInn12401, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for finding the time to share about your stay. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. We are pleased to know that we were able to accommodate you accordingly and was able satisfy you by exceeding your expectations of our Hotel’s services and facilities.

Thank you for the insight on how to grow and improve more, we certainly hope to be of service to you again very soon. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel needs a little TLC. Rooms are large but dated, could be cleaner too. Pool was dated, exercise room was dated the place just looked tired. Heater was loud and ran constantly, kept me up all night. The staff was okay but what bothered me the most was the price. Priced way above what you would expect to pay for how the place looks. There is a restaurant attached which looked dated as well but the food was not bad. Friendly staff too. There are more options near by that you may want to consider.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
QualityInn12401, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

We thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and feedback regarding your recent stay in our hotel. Our hotel is constantly looking for ways to enhance the positive experiences of our guests and your valuable feedback will assist us to correct our deficiencies. Rest assured that your feedback regarding improvements and updating our accommodations and facilities will be highly considered for a more likely stay in the future.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The king suites are spacious and comfortable, with exceptions, but are in need of makeover. Having two bathrooms is a plus. Staff polite.
Heating thermostat did not do the job; either fully on or off, no auto cut off. Hot water too slow to warm up for shower even after 4-5 minutes. Tub drains and toilets not efficient, just did not work very well.
Had flat LED TV, definitely no HD reception in sitting area, TV reception not so hot, and old tube TV in bed area just ok.
Big nuisance was room lighting; just skimpy. Entry way dark by "closet" area and dressing area had no light.

Room Tip: Get king suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
QualityInn12401, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. Your kind words towards our staff will be forwarded to them as it is rewarding that their efforts were acknowledged by our dear guest.

On the other hand, we apologize if there has been an inconvenience with bathroom as well as TV reception. Your suggestions will be considered to ensure that we are providing the best stay that our guests expects of our hotel and even exceeding those expectations. We are very open to suggestions and comments as your voice is very important to us.

We hope to serve you even better on your next stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Residence Inn Kingston
#3 of 10 in Kingston
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston-Ulster
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Kingston? Share your experiences!