“Just average”

Prospect Mountain Diner & Lighthouse Cafe
Ranked #38 of 162 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Plymouth, New York
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stopped the Sunday during Americade week. The place is too small to accommodate a big crowd. Staff very pleasant and worked hard. The food was average. We got the early bird special (before 8:00) and it was very reasonable. Portions appeared average sized. Breakfast menu seemed pricey for anything but the special. Clean restrooms.

• Visited June 2014

Newburgh, New York
“Breakfast at the Prospect Mtn. Diner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had their chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream for breakfast and they were scrumptious. Their menu, however is a little basic and I believe that sometimes, they are closed for dinner. But for breakfast, this is a great place to go in Lake George.

• Visited July 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Standard Diner with the look and feel of it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The service and food was great. Plenty of staff to tend to you and the food arrives quickly. This site wants 50 characters before posting and sometimes, less than 50 is adequate.

Visited April 2014
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Went early for breakfast, was welcomed with a smile, and the eggs were cooked just right...a great place to eat

Visited February 2014
Burlington, Vermont
“Good diner/home cooking food; service a little rushed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stopped in about 1:00 on an off-season November Sunday. We were warmly welcomed and seated in a comfortable booth and offered drinks (non-alcoholic only, of course). The menu is extensive and very appealing; although they do offer breakfast all day with a wide assortment of eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. we both opted for lunch specials that were full dinners. My salad was almost totally curly endive, and I would have welcomed an assortment of greens, but what I got was green, crisp and very fresh and flavorful. I'd only eaten half of it, however, when soup appeared. The chicken noodle was clearly homemade, with a rich broth, elbow macaroni, carrots and chicken; my partner pronounced it very, very good. The clam chowder was just creamy enough - not so thick the spoon would stand up in it, but creamy, not a broth. The flavor was full of fresh clam taste (although I suspect they were canned minced clams), with lots of small clam pieces, potatoes and celery.
Again, lunch arrived before we'd finished our soup. Having just discovered the place, I can't say if that's always the way, or if it was because things were slow. The meatloaf dinner came with two BIG slices of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and broccoli. I'm told the meatloaf was excellent - my partner said he'd intended to save me one slice for a weekday lunch, but it was just too good, and he ate it all. The turkey dinner offered three large slices of breast, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, and broccoli. The meat was moist, flavorful, actually succulent and obviously a carefully roasted turkey. Mashed potatoes were very good, and both gravies were rich and creamy. I found the stuffing a little saltier than I like, but still good. The pale green broccoli cuts were either canned or badly overcooked frozen, and we both skipped them.
Dessert included rice or bread pudding and a variety of pies including several fruit, pumpkin, and Boston Cream. I opted for my favorite cherry, and the cherries were plentiful and nicely tart. The crust was dense rather than flaky (almost shortbread) but still good. The rice pudding came in a large parfait glass, and again was pronounced to be very good.
I would definitely recomment Prospect Mountain, with the caveat to remember that this IS a diner, not a fine dining establishment. If you're like me and think "quick" and "casual" should still be good, check it out - this is food like my grandmother used to make!

• Visited November 2013