“Perfet location, not perfect food...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Top of the World Grille

Top of the World Grille
Ranked #45 of 162 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palm Beach, FL
“Perfet location, not perfect food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is one of the most beautiful spots in the Adirondack Park! Once you arrive, you will have the best view of Lake George, bar none. The restaurant is located in the original building, you can smell the history. Awesome old house. Expansive vistas of the 18-hole golf course, the lake, the adjacent mountains, unbeatable. However, the food... Well, not so great. Just about average. Maybe they lack experience, I'm not sure. Don't take me wrong, it's not bad, but it should be perfect like the location. Burger came overcooked. The fries were steaming hot and perfect. The Kale Caeser salad lacked on the presentation department. It should have been served with some Parmesan crisps and maybe something else to dress it up. The croutons were hunks of bread that lacked seasoning. Service was not stellar, friendly but not polished. I do think it's worth the drive up there. I guess around mid-September when leaf peeping season starts (usually..) should be a breath-taking view, I can imagine seating in the terrace with a steaming bowl of butternut bisque... Would I return? Yes.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank TSully_07

LG, NY
“Eclectic as h..l ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

De rolls, de rolls

If you have one thing at the Farm House it must be the rolls. Forget about the carbs, white flour or whatever excuse you use to justify not eating "white bread ". Enjoy!!!!

As to the meal - well first class eclecticity. This is the place to find fresh, interesting selections that I guarantee you won't find anywhere else in the Greater Capital Region. I could not get by the starters and ended up having two along with a second helping of - anybody anybody Bueller - yes the rolls.

The Farm House is not the place for your meat and potatoes crowd - you/they will be very disappointed. However, if your adventurous then you will be well rewarded.

As for the service it was quite satisfactory unlike our sometimes erratic experience in years past.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank DJ K
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Out of the way, but a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have been going to the Lake George area for a few years and have been intrigued by the description of this farm to table restaurant. his year I finally had a chance to go. It is off the beaten track for Lake George village and take about 15t minutes top get there but it has a fantastic view and a quiet setting on a mountain top golf club. The restaurant was quiet and elegant. Tables were far enough away that that one felt there was plenty of room. Service was crisp and efficient. Choices were limited to what was fresh and available. but the variety was quite good. Appetizers and salads were inventive and fun. Main courses were well sized and delicious. There were wines by the glass which were quite good and wines by the bottle that were limited in number but the were representative and well priced. Did the four of us like it? All said we would definitely come back again and all were happy wioth their choices and gthe flavors

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Incredible food and a great view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I don't think I've ever given a restaurant 5 dots, but this one earned it. Shows what you can do with fresh, well prepared food. First off they have a very good and eclectic beer and wine menu. We had two small plates: grilled broccoli with a sauce made from anchovies, rosemary, olive oil, and garlic, and grilled calamari with fingerling potatoes. Both were perfectly prepared, and we could not get over how good the anchovy sauce was. For dinner, we had the lamb cavatelli and scallops with mussels. The lamb was like osso buco, very tender with a little kick and the cavatelli was home made. The scallops were seared to perfection with pork belly, all in a great broth with crunchy little noodles - very weird pairing, but it worked and was incredible...I've only really liked scallops twice in my life, and this was one of them. Then had a selection of NY cheeses for dessert that were also local and fantastic, especially the Nettle Meadow Farms kunik. Just a fantastic meal and overall experience that I highly recommend.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank MRKannapolis
Boston, MA
“Food was excellent, service not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Basically, the things holding this restaurant back are lack of trained servers and the atmosphere wasn't our favorite. I thought the food was excellent. Right on par with some of our favorite dining experiences in Boston. Fresh ingredients, great flavors, and nice presentation. Our issues were mainly with the service. Our server was nice and attentive when greeting us, but then it all went down hill. Drinks took forever, then when we got our first course I saw that he must have fired our main course at the same time, as someone started to bring out the plates as we just started the appetizers, and then turned around and brought them back to the kitchen. This caused us to wait forever for our main courses because they needed to be cooked again. At that point our server just started avoiding us. He would look at the table anxiously and then run in the other direction. We were never asked if we wanted another cocktail, and a different server had to clear our meal and ask if we wanted dessert. We respectively declined and asked for our check, which again, took forever! We promptly put our credit card in the server check book but didn't see the server again for another 15 minutes. And what was extremely frustrating was that the other servers kept glancing over and saw we were ready to pay but didn't bring this to the attention of the our server or come to speak with us. I am usually very forgiving and easy on waitstaff revues. I have worked in many Boston restaurants and know we all have bad days and that waiting tables is hard work. But I can not tolerate being ignored or having a server pretend wee aren't there because things aren't going well. I also can't stand when other waitstaff aren't acting like a team being aware of their surroundings. Even if it isn't your table, help out! It was also frustrating because the waitstaff that were on were much more into chatting up the other tables with locals (maybe the golf club members) who were regulars. I know you need to keep your regulars happy, but you could have gained another regular (as we visit this area often) had we had a better dining experience. It's really too bad, as the food was fantastic. But I don't go out to eat just for awesome food. I want the whole experience to be pleasant. Maybe this place is suffering from early season issues. I know they are seasonal, so maybe they just haven't had the opportunity to really train their staff yet.

• Visited June 2013