“Just so-so”

Ranked #69 of 164 Restaurants in Lake George
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I really had high hopes for this restaurant after I read that they use all local ingredients and that all of their food was very fresh. We went in for lunch. The menu is pretty scarce and there really isn't much description given about their menu items. One of the "Bites" listed is pickles. We ordered that thinking what we were going to be served were what you would think of as pickles - bread & butter, kosher dills, etc. However, what we were served were pickled items instead. Pickled string beans, what we thought was pickled squash, and some other pickled vegetable. The vegetables were all very fresh and most of it was tasty, but it would have been better had the menu indicated daily pickled vegetables or some description that would give you a better idea of what you were ordering.

There were 6 of us and 3 ordered various sandwiches, which were all good, and the other 3 ordered cheeseburgers. Two were ordered medium and one was ordered medium rare. All 3 came out well done. Two of them were sent back and the only reason I didn't send mine back was I felt bad sending back a third one also, although I really should have sent it back because it was completely overdone and tasteless. So not sending it back was my fault. However, when the two redone burgers came out, they were juicier and tasted better, but still overcooked and nowhere near either medium or medium rare. We were not looking to be compensated for the burgers, but the waitress later on told us that they had taken the 2 burgers off the bill. So that was nice at least.

The waitress we had was ok as far as attentiveness, but she wasn't familiar enough with the menu items. She had to go back into the kitchen to ask what the different vegetables were that were pickled and there were a few other menu items that we asked questions about that she wasn't sure about.

The view is nice, but out of 6 people, only 3 were happy with their meals. So I think the best thing is to maybe try it again and steer clear of the burgers.

4  Thank CMag_845

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband had made reservations for us after he finished a round of golf. We had excellent service and the food was wonderful! We were pleasantly surprised by the use of many local ingredients. The whole meal from appetizers to dessert was flawless. Amount the favorites would have been a sautéedd selection of mushrooms. If we ever visit the area agin, we would return here.

1  Thank Shannon M
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Its hard to believe that food this good can be found in a golf course restaurant near Lake George. The ingredients were outstanding and the preparation was creative and flawless.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We read some of the reviews and were looking forward to enjoy a great meal with a view. We made reservations but was seated on the patio (felt more like a hallway) supposedly for better view.

For appetizers, we ordered tomato soup, chilies mussels, corn-on-the-cob and the farm greens. The tomato soup was too thick and tasted more like pasta sauce with puréed vegetables. The mussels were good, but the corn was burned and dry.

For main courses, we ordered cheeseburger (medium well) with fries and the pasta. The cavatelli pasta was plain and not very tasty (the smoked tomatoes were the only additions that made this an "edible" dish). The hamburger came out way undercook (with blood dripping) and the bun was very dry.

Our waitress was too busy serving the big group in the patio and never came by to check on us. When she came by to collect the dinner dshes, she asked about our dinner. She did apologize for not checking on our dinner earlier.

For desserts, we tried the chocolate and zucchini cake. The cake was very dry and crumbly. Plating was definitely not from a fine dining restaurant.

The view was excellent -- as we left the parking lot and headed north. From inside the restaurant, the view was nothing special.

Of the half dozen restaurants we visited in the Lake George area, this was neither fine dining nor worth a second visit.

5  Thank Apple J
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is one of the most beautiful spots in the Adirondack Park! Once you arrive, you will have the best view of Lake George, bar none. The restaurant is located in the original building, you can smell the history. Awesome old house. Expansive vistas of the 18-hole golf course, the lake, the adjacent mountains, unbeatable. However, the food... Well, not so great. Just about average. Maybe they lack experience, I'm not sure. Don't take me wrong, it's not bad, but it should be perfect like the location. Burger came overcooked. The fries were steaming hot and perfect. The Kale Caeser salad lacked on the presentation department. It should have been served with some Parmesan crisps and maybe something else to dress it up. The croutons were hunks of bread that lacked seasoning. Service was not stellar, friendly but not polished. I do think it's worth the drive up there. I guess around mid-September when leaf peeping season starts (usually..) should be a breath-taking view, I can imagine seating in the terrace with a steaming bowl of butternut bisque... Would I return? Yes.

2  Thank TSully_07