“quaint, secluded lake george cottages”

Amber Lantern Motel and Cottages
Amber Lantern Motel and Cottages
Westtown, New York
“quaint, secluded lake george cottages”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My family and I stayed at the hotel from Aug. 9 thru Aug. 13 2012...we rented 3 cabins and was very happy with our accomadations. We initiallly rented 4 rooms but my one daughter had to cancel and he refunded her money with NO problem! The owner Tom tried very hard to make us comfortable even to the point of taking his fan and giving it to us. Yes, they are old but they try very hard to make them comfortable and clean. If you're looking for the hilton they by all means pay to stay there!! THESE COTTAGES ARE ONLY $129.00 A NIGHT for a 1 bedroom!! This is an old property with, a very friendly family oriented atmosphere. If you look at the dates of these reviews they are from long ago..08', 09' etc. The bathrooms are on the small side, the furniture is older but clean. Ask to see the cottages first!! He doesn't mind showing them first..don't rent it then decide you don't like it and give bad reviews!! Thank you Tom for making our VACATION A WONDERFUL ONE!! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR! :)

Room Tip: cottage number 7 was beautiful! FOR PRIVACY CHOOSE ROOM 14 OR15.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria A

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Latham, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was happy to find a vacancy for 2 nights, last minute that was pet friendly...and we happily headed up for a relaxing Friday and Saturday night. I want to say that the owner was very kind and genuine but the proper thing would have been to refund some of the over $250 I spent for 2 nights. :(
We went to our room, which was stuffy and very old with exceptance once we got in that it's like that in the Adirondacks. Things can be outdated up there and that's not a big deal. The a/c began leaking all over the bed, so he (manager) very nicely offered us the other rooms he had which were upgrades as no cost. We moved into the room and what seemed to be a nicer room, turned out to smell like a horse barn (I ride) and have a severe leak under the kitchen sink. We found a bucket and placed it under the sink, then, I cleaned the mildew off the underneath the sink. The fouton had cigarette burns on it and you could feel the boards in your back. The mattress in the main bedroom was hard as a rock. I ended up cleaning the kitchen floor with the fantastic they had and some paper towels when my feet kept getting stuck to it. The A/C unit kept one room so cold my children woke up in the middle of the night freezing, yet the master room was hot and humid.
We didnt swim in the pool as it looked very old and my kids thought it looked dirty. :(
I did mention to him the leaky sink and he did go in to fix it, but he took the bucket out, didn't fix it and left a small wooden bowl underneath instead. We had to go find another bucket as the huge bucket was filling and needed to be emptied every few hours if I did dishes or ran the sink! After thinking it through, despite the fact I paid for the night, we packed up the car and decided to not stay another night. There was no point in it since no one slept well and our backs couldn't take another night, we have a nice pool in our community and the fridge was barely keeping my foods cold.
The man was very nice and I held off asking for a refund because of it. I hate hurting peoples feelings and he was very apologetic after the 1st incident. But to spend my "relaxing" weekend cleaning and emptying buckets and not even have a decent pool to sit at....too much!!!
The place used to be nice I think, but you have to maintain them or problems occur.
I hate writing something negative and thought about emailing him for even $50 off my credit card, but....so I thought an objective review may somehow help him improve. We had to bring our own towels and washcloths too. No shampoo or conditioner samples either.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne E

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed there during the memorial day weekend. The cottages were very small. They actually are smaller than many hotel rooms let alone cottages. The place appeared very old and run-down. The wallpapers seemed to be 20 years old.The worst was the bathroom. The shower was just about a feet wide! On the whole the place seemed to be built with the intention of no expenditure for it. The grill also was very dirty. The only advantage about the place is its location. If you are thinking of a cottage for a peaceful stay, this is not one. You can for sure rent hotel rooms and atleast get a proper room service and maintenance for this price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thimuth
Standish, Maine
Reviewed 23 June 2012

First time here , We found it to be very charming and cozy ,plus bonus....very quiet!!!! The owners are wonderful , we bothered Tom a few times with extra wants and he met our needs and exceeded them, met lots of other people that stayed at the cabins and it was like extended family, Tom put out his garden hose, buckets and towels for everyone to wash their bikes,We would stay here again and hope to do so next americade . We enjoyed sitting on the porch , to relax after riding all day on the motorcycle, Thanks so much amber lantern , for a stay so well enjoyed!!!!!!! joe and lisa

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
TX
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Have stayed here again ...having stayed a few years back. The cottages are clean and quirky with vintage charm of Lake George's history of a schmaltzy vacation spot. My wife and I enjoyed our stay with the added benefit of not having to share a wall with other vacationers. A porch to sit out on under tall trees is a bonus (although the road can be loud on occasion). The place was a perfect size for us but some have complained about small bathrooms. Very large people might want to stay elsewhere. It is just the right distance from the Lake George Village "circus-atmosphere" to get good sleep. Other than that it was quaint, cool, and clean and we would stay again.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveler1968a
Utica, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My family and I stayed for four nights. My two kids and I stayed int he two bedroom cottage while my parents rented an a-frame and Brothers had two of the motel style rooms. As a family get away we were very pleased. My place was clean and we were helped right away with any questions. The location was exactly what we wanted. If you are looking for modern accomodations this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a rustic get away it will be what you are looking for.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
West Sand Lake, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Well I don't agree with the awful reviews written here about the Amber Lantern - the cottages are typical lake george style - little log cabin types set in the woods, been there for many years, efficiency kitchens, cute, with character, but nothing fancy. Ours was clean and neat and had everything we needed to enjoy some blender drinks and prepare some snacks. However there are a few key things missing - no verizon cell service here! And the trolley, which is supposed to run by every few hours instead of every 15 minutes like it does closer to the village -- which is bad enough -- NEVER CAME. It is also not on the lake side of the road, fyi. Other than that it's a nice scenic 4 mile trip into the village. The people were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends