“Great Time”

Amber Lantern Motel and Cottages
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I went here last summer for a getaway weekend and this place is very accommodating and very close to the village. There is a nice restaurant right next door for late night snacks and love the secluded feel in the woods in a nice cottage. Would definitely go there again to stay and recommended to my friends/family as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kmac27
There are newer reviews for Amber Lantern Motel and Cottages

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Stay away if you don't like mold. After staying the night we had to leave, the thought of having to stay another night (we booked two) made me want to cry. Spongy wet carpet in front of the door, the tiny shower uncrusted with black mold, broken sink, toilet that ran, soggy bed linens and blankets, fuzzy t.v. w/few channels, greenish and cold pool,... I felt ill after spending the first night. The motel next door was clean and friendly- suites w/ kitchenettes, working A.C., beautiful heated pools w/ fountain, BBQ and fireplace- SAME PRICE!!!

Room Tip: go elsewhere!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PetenErica
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My family and I stayed in amber lantern from 8/22/12 till 8/28/12 we were suppose to stay another day but left a day early because of our overall experience!

Let me 1st say I had stayed there as a kid 25yrs ago & it was great BUT Nothing has been updated since then! The cabin was filthy musty riddled with bugs spiders and dust! The shower was do small my 8yr old had trouble using it! The BBQ area was dirty there was trash everywhere on the grounds! The pool was a filthy Cesspool crawling with flies the smell of horse meneure from the stable up the road was over powering! The website advertises table tennis but there were no ping pong balls, it advertises a tennis court that does not exist as well as a volley ball court which is nothing more then a net that is dangerously placed next to the busy high way & we had to go buy our own ball!! My kids bought pool toys they couldn't use due to the pools filth they also bought lawn toys plastic horse shoe pit that they left behind so the next kids could use them because they said otherwise new kids WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO! the full kitchen advertised was a NOOK with a sink, 2 burner stove top (no oven) dorm style fridge COMBO!!! Tv was old and staticy THE MOTEL WIFI WAS LOCKED & there was NO CELL RECEPTION so no Internet at all oh & the tv is BASIC CABLE ONLY at $150 a night I expected what was advertised and got NONE OF IT!!! I've been to lake George at least 30 times and this was by far the worst stay I have had not only on lake George but anywhere I've stayed ever & I travel often!!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Joenick5518
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My family and I stayed at the hotel from Aug. 9 thru Aug. 13 2012...we rented 3 cabins and was very happy with our accomadations. We initiallly rented 4 rooms but my one daughter had to cancel and he refunded her money with NO problem! The owner Tom tried very hard to make us comfortable even to the point of taking his fan and giving it to us. Yes, they are old but they try very hard to make them comfortable and clean. If you're looking for the hilton they by all means pay to stay there!! THESE COTTAGES ARE ONLY $129.00 A NIGHT for a 1 bedroom!! This is an old property with, a very friendly family oriented atmosphere. If you look at the dates of these reviews they are from long ago..08', 09' etc. The bathrooms are on the small side, the furniture is older but clean. Ask to see the cottages first!! He doesn't mind showing them first..don't rent it then decide you don't like it and give bad reviews!! Thank you Tom for making our VACATION A WONDERFUL ONE!! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR! :)

Room Tip: cottage number 7 was beautiful! FOR PRIVACY CHOOSE ROOM 14 OR15.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria A
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was happy to find a vacancy for 2 nights, last minute that was pet friendly...and we happily headed up for a relaxing Friday and Saturday night. I want to say that the owner was very kind and genuine but the proper thing would have been to refund some of the over $250 I spent for 2 nights. :(
We went to our room, which was stuffy and very old with exceptance once we got in that it's like that in the Adirondacks. Things can be outdated up there and that's not a big deal. The a/c began leaking all over the bed, so he (manager) very nicely offered us the other rooms he had which were upgrades as no cost. We moved into the room and what seemed to be a nicer room, turned out to smell like a horse barn (I ride) and have a severe leak under the kitchen sink. We found a bucket and placed it under the sink, then, I cleaned the mildew off the underneath the sink. The fouton had cigarette burns on it and you could feel the boards in your back. The mattress in the main bedroom was hard as a rock. I ended up cleaning the kitchen floor with the fantastic they had and some paper towels when my feet kept getting stuck to it. The A/C unit kept one room so cold my children woke up in the middle of the night freezing, yet the master room was hot and humid.
We didnt swim in the pool as it looked very old and my kids thought it looked dirty. :(
I did mention to him the leaky sink and he did go in to fix it, but he took the bucket out, didn't fix it and left a small wooden bowl underneath instead. We had to go find another bucket as the huge bucket was filling and needed to be emptied every few hours if I did dishes or ran the sink! After thinking it through, despite the fact I paid for the night, we packed up the car and decided to not stay another night. There was no point in it since no one slept well and our backs couldn't take another night, we have a nice pool in our community and the fridge was barely keeping my foods cold.
The man was very nice and I held off asking for a refund because of it. I hate hurting peoples feelings and he was very apologetic after the 1st incident. But to spend my "relaxing" weekend cleaning and emptying buckets and not even have a decent pool to sit at....too much!!!
The place used to be nice I think, but you have to maintain them or problems occur.
I hate writing something negative and thought about emailing him for even $50 off my credit card, but....so I thought an objective review may somehow help him improve. We had to bring our own towels and washcloths too. No shampoo or conditioner samples either.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed there during the memorial day weekend. The cottages were very small. They actually are smaller than many hotel rooms let alone cottages. The place appeared very old and run-down. The wallpapers seemed to be 20 years old.The worst was the bathroom. The shower was just about a feet wide! On the whole the place seemed to be built with the intention of no expenditure for it. The grill also was very dirty. The only advantage about the place is its location. If you are thinking of a cottage for a peaceful stay, this is not one. You can for sure rent hotel rooms and atleast get a proper room service and maintenance for this price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thimuth
Reviewed 23 June 2012

First time here , We found it to be very charming and cozy ,plus bonus....very quiet!!!! The owners are wonderful , we bothered Tom a few times with extra wants and he met our needs and exceeded them, met lots of other people that stayed at the cabins and it was like extended family, Tom put out his garden hose, buckets and towels for everyone to wash their bikes,We would stay here again and hope to do so next americade . We enjoyed sitting on the porch , to relax after riding all day on the motorcycle, Thanks so much amber lantern , for a stay so well enjoyed!!!!!!! joe and lisa

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Golden Sands Resort on Lake George
Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge
Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge
#3 of 9 in Diamond Point

Been to Amber Lantern Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!