We just returned from a family vacation to Lake George where we stayed at the Clinton Inn in one of the deluxe cottages for a full week. There were four adults and four children in our party (4 months, 17 months, 7 yrs, 10 yrs). This was the seventh summer in Lake George for my wife and I, but our first at the Clinton Inn.
First of all, check-in was very smooth. We arrived at 3 PM and were told that our cottage (#15) was not ready yet. The owner immediately sent three staff members down to finish it up so that we could go inside. While waiting outside, we were somewhat worried by the rustic look of the outside of the cottage, remembering some of the reviews that we had read on tripadvisor.
Upon entering the cottage, however, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the interior had been recently updated. It was clean, the rooms were spacious, and there were plenty of electrical outlets (no unplugging the lamp to charge your phone!)
During our one-week stay we were able to use several amenities such as:
1) The pool - a basic L-shape contained in the motel section's courtyard. It was open from 9 AM to 9 PM and ranged in depth from 3 feet to 5 feet.
2) The beach - plenty of room on the sand as well as a dock to jump off of. The swimming area was very sandy (no rocks to speak of) and gradually increased in depth up to about 6 feet and then dropped off steeply. A very nice spot for kids and adults. We spent a lot of time here. (There is a bit of a steep walk to get here, but the owner didn't have a problem with us driving the wives and children down and then parking the car back up at the cottage)
3) The playground - this is a real gem compared to other hotels that we have stayed at. They have a section for older kids (5 - 12) with large slides, swings and other playground "stuff", as well as a gated section for toddlers with smaller equipment and a soft rubber mulch base everywhere. Our 17 month old had a great time playing here with his cousins.
Other areas that we saw, but did not use include:
1) The tennis courts - one was being resurfaced while we were there and was in great condition. The other looked like it was due to be rehabbed soon. We wished that we had brought our racquets.
2) The basketball court - a small surface, good enough for a family 3-on-3.
3) A video game room - not operational when we were there, but it looks like that section is being refurbished.
Being in the cottage, we did not receive daily maid service. However, housekeeping took care of all of our needs whenever asked, and provided clean towels and trash removal every other day. We did not stay in the motel section of the resort, but we did see several guests in that section (around the pool) who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. This was in stark contrast to our accommodations in Lake George the week before.
The only warning I would give is that if you are traveling with someone who is elderly, disabled, or generally has difficulty on uneven / steep surfaces you may want to stay on the first floor in the motel section, or in one of the cottages that is directly next to the motel.
I would also like to mention that in all of our discussions with the owner (Fred) we was nothing but polite, helpful and cordial. All in all we loved our stay and have already booked for next July.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Family-owned Hotel offers a variety of lodging options: Motel, Hotel, Cabin, & Vacation Rentals. Guests enjoy our hometown hospitality, and appreciate the spacious rooms - significantly larger than most Hotels in the area. Though we're not brand new, our rooms are remodeled, clean, and our prices are affordable. You'll see why our guests keep coming back year after year. See you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Clinton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clinton Hotel Lake George