“Awful Experience”
Review of Clinton Inn

Clinton Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Lake George B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had two rooms between us and our freinds, office was closed when we arrived to check in (around 6:00pm) but there were envelopes on the door with our names (along with others) and instructions to our rooms. So we went and everything seamed fine!
The next morning I got up and around 6:45 walked to the restaurant for an early coffee and it was closed and absolutely no sign of life, now mind you there was supposedly breakfast included!
We all got ready to leave at 8:15am for a car show and tried the restaurant again but no luck! So we went about our day. When we returned there was a note on our door (as well as other doors) requesting that we check in; I wnet down there and office again closed but there were three (3) phone numbers posted so I tried all of them and never got through except for on two of them I was able to leave a voice message (One to a Rebecca and the other to a Fred!) and I did with my own cell ph number for them to return.
The next morning we were scheduled to leave so we packed up and tried the office again at 8:30 and nobody there! (and Still no return call from my previous message), we ended up just leaving the keys on the same table in our rooms and just left.
I tried calling later that morning as we were on the road by than and I finally got through and Rebecca answered the phone, boy what an attitude!! Her implication was thet it was our fault that we did not check in - but as I started to explain, she hung up. I suppose we were to hang out in front of the office untill someone decided to show up!! (By the way, throughout this there was no information posted as to the office hours).
We were definately short-changed from our expectations based on their representation on the Web Site!!
This is not our first time away! and for the size and scope of this "so called resort" I can't believe this type of operation with no on site representation.

And by the way, still no return call from Fred, whom I found out later is the owner!!!
I wouldn't even have expected this from a Mom and Pop Roomimng house!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jero75

Reviewed 20 August 2011

The room was clean and large as it advertises. It may be a bit more expensive then others in the area, but worth it. The beach was small but not crowded and very enjoyable. The pool was clean and not crowded. The trolley picks you up right at the hotel. We had family staying at the campground next to the Clinton so it was convenient to walk over.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We just returned from a family vacation to Lake George where we stayed at the Clinton Inn in one of the deluxe cottages for a full week. There were four adults and four children in our party (4 months, 17 months, 7 yrs, 10 yrs). This was the seventh summer in Lake George for my wife and I, but our first at the Clinton Inn.

First of all, check-in was very smooth. We arrived at 3 PM and were told that our cottage (#15) was not ready yet. The owner immediately sent three staff members down to finish it up so that we could go inside. While waiting outside, we were somewhat worried by the rustic look of the outside of the cottage, remembering some of the reviews that we had read on tripadvisor.

Upon entering the cottage, however, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the interior had been recently updated. It was clean, the rooms were spacious, and there were plenty of electrical outlets (no unplugging the lamp to charge your phone!)

During our one-week stay we were able to use several amenities such as:

1) The pool - a basic L-shape contained in the motel section's courtyard. It was open from 9 AM to 9 PM and ranged in depth from 3 feet to 5 feet.
2) The beach - plenty of room on the sand as well as a dock to jump off of. The swimming area was very sandy (no rocks to speak of) and gradually increased in depth up to about 6 feet and then dropped off steeply. A very nice spot for kids and adults. We spent a lot of time here. (There is a bit of a steep walk to get here, but the owner didn't have a problem with us driving the wives and children down and then parking the car back up at the cottage)
3) The playground - this is a real gem compared to other hotels that we have stayed at. They have a section for older kids (5 - 12) with large slides, swings and other playground "stuff", as well as a gated section for toddlers with smaller equipment and a soft rubber mulch base everywhere. Our 17 month old had a great time playing here with his cousins.

Other areas that we saw, but did not use include:

1) The tennis courts - one was being resurfaced while we were there and was in great condition. The other looked like it was due to be rehabbed soon. We wished that we had brought our racquets.
2) The basketball court - a small surface, good enough for a family 3-on-3.
3) A video game room - not operational when we were there, but it looks like that section is being refurbished.

Being in the cottage, we did not receive daily maid service. However, housekeeping took care of all of our needs whenever asked, and provided clean towels and trash removal every other day. We did not stay in the motel section of the resort, but we did see several guests in that section (around the pool) who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. This was in stark contrast to our accommodations in Lake George the week before.

The only warning I would give is that if you are traveling with someone who is elderly, disabled, or generally has difficulty on uneven / steep surfaces you may want to stay on the first floor in the motel section, or in one of the cottages that is directly next to the motel.

I would also like to mention that in all of our discussions with the owner (Fred) we was nothing but polite, helpful and cordial. All in all we loved our stay and have already booked for next July.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and try to speak with Fred. The deluxe cabins offer a lot more room for a l...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Unbelievable stay. Originally booked for 3 nights, we had such a good time instead of checking out we asked the owner to stay an extra night. He informed us of his policy if you stay 3 nights, you recieve a 4th night free ! In addition to this, we recieved a 20 percent discount because we were repeat customers, so the value of the four nights we stayed was great. The rooms were as clean as ive ever seen rooms in a motel. The housekeeping service was great as we returned to our room in stellar condition. People will be deterred by the hill leading down to the lake, but this didnt bother us one bit. We had the entire sandy beach to ourselves all day. If you bring all the stuff you need for a day at the lake, you will only need to go up the hill once, which is not too bad plus its a good workout. I was amazed how many people were at the pool when you have the most beatiful lake at your fingertips. We go to Lake George for the lake. I dont have to drive 5 hours to swim in a pool. I have been coming to lake george as a kid and adult for 20 years and the Clinton Inn far surpasses any place ive stayed at. I cant wait to return in September. If you are a lake lover like I am, or just trying to get away from everything for a little while, I 100 percent advive you to stay here. I never wanted to leave.

Room Tip: Any room but the corner queens you cant go wrong with.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lgdhbk
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed in the hotel for a couple of days this summer. The pool was FREEZING!! It was supposed to be heated and it was not! The lake was warmer, but thats all the way down a very steep hill so we only went there once, because it was almost impossible to walk back up. It is pretty on the beach and the view across the lake is awesome! They have a parking lot down there but when we asked, one of the staff told us we weren't allowed to drive. (I think thats what she said because she didn't speak English very well. We tried to ask another girl but she was foreign too. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it makes it hard to get info when there's a language barrier.) We went into LG town one night, but when we returned to the inn, there was a big tractor trailer parked on the grounds. No offense to any truckers out there, but if we'd wanted to stay at a truck stop, we would have! This place advertised itself as a resort, and semi truck rigs and resorts don't mesh! Our room was allright but it was musty and a bit dusty. The TV was small and there was no WIFI. The ac smelled very stale. We tried both beds but neither one was comfortable. This place wasn't horrible, but we'll not break our necks to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ranger834
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Great to be able to unplug from the world and really get away from it all. Which is my idea of a true vacation. No phone, no internet, no distraction from the beauty of the Lake and location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Stayed here in August 2010, in one of their cabins. The accommodations were unacceptable: dirty and dilapidated. Stains all over the furnishings and carpets. When we arrived we found food on the carpet and straw wrappers on the floor. Complained to the staff: they were nice and sent someone over, but she just said it looked fine to her and took off.

Dust on top of the TV so thick it was like a joke. Dried spaghetti or BBQ sauce (I hope that's what it was) splattered on the paneling by the front door (???). The screen door was missing a panel. One of the window shades had fallen to the floor and had just been left there. The large window in the kitchen area was not flush to the frame: there was a gap where bugs could get in. The refrigerator did not work properly and our food spoiled. The pool was not heated. Turning on the A/C resulted in a plume of dust shooting into the air. Allergies bothered me all week, but only when I was in the cabin. Disgusting all around.

Never again.