“Big Rooms and No Smoking Motel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rodeway Inn Springhills Lake George

Rodeway Inn Springhills Lake George
Ranked #65 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Maryland
“Big Rooms and No Smoking Motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at this motel for 5 days after leaving another motel I had booked. This is a pretty generic motel. The rooms are generous (at least as compared to the tiny old motels also found in Lake George). The whole motel is non-smoking except for a small area on the grounds that they have designated as a smoking area.

I think the staff was friendly. I got a great price on a weekday when lots of other motels in town also had vacancies. This is not in the center of Lake George, but very close and also very close to the highway, so for excursions, it is very fast to get out of town. Restaurants are close as are Lake George attractions. But it is also not far from Queensbury, which has restaurants and retail (because it is outside of the park).

I guess I would say that they need to pay more attention to housekeeping. The housekeeping is laxidasical. But the room had two queen beds, room to store our bikes, a fridge, microwave and a small table and 2 chairs.

The beds were comfortable, but they had mattress covers which felt like a plastic tarp, so that is really something that needs to be upgraded. But the bathroom was all new with new granite sinks and tile. It looks like they are upgrading the hotel.

The pool was pretty big, and heated, which I guess is a must in this part of the country, even in July. The only issue I had with the pool is that only 5 feet (lengthwise) was 3 feet deep. Five-sixths of the pool was > 3 feet deep, so my 6 year old, who is not a very good swimmer was mostly confined to 1/6 of the pool where he could stand up.

This motel is rated as #62 out of 88, but I liked it more than the motel rated #13 of 88. So I guess everyone has a different opinion. It was a good base for our vacation.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were going to Lake George for a family vacation and most of my family was staying at another hotel. The other hotel offered more in regards to extra amenities but in the end, we needed a room to stay in for two nights. We wanted to enjoy Lake George so we weren’t going to spending a lot of time in a hotel room or at the hotel.

Here are some “highlights” to help you with your next travel plans.

- Check in was easy, staff was friendly
- Room was clean and it was apparent upgrades were just made (new counters, newer mini-fridge and microwave).
- Morning coffee was fine for us since we brought our own breakfast (bring creamer if you don’t like powdered creamer). They did recommend local breakfast options.
- Housekeeping came around 3 and we were back at our room to take a break before dinner. They asked us if we needed housecleaning services but since we were letting our children rest so we said no. We asked if we could have some fresh hand towels since we used ours and she came right back with them.
- You will be charged $2 a night for the safe. We didn’t use it. For all the other fees that other hotels charge for amenities not used, it wasn’t worth the fight to try and get it off the bill.
- Although we didn’t use these things, they looked clean and maintained – pool, grill area, playground area.
- The lake isn’t walking distance to the hotel which was fine with us. If you want a lake view from this hotel, you aren’t going to get it. You pay for the view and short distance at other hotels.
- We do plan on returning to Lake George in the future. We may want to stay closer to the town and lake at that time but we would definitely consider this hotel again.

It’s unfortunate that other people had a bad experience at this hotel and you really can’t please everyone (although their issues with the hotel seemed valid). We were very happy with our stay (with the exception of the loud family across the hall who had two rooms and thought it was ok to go back and forth between the rooms allowing the door to slam from 12-2am.) I let the staff know that we enjoyed our stay and everything was great. It was obvious that they were trying to make changes and upgrades based on past negative reviews. I hope others try this hotel and bring up the rating because we feel it was worth the money (about $95/night compared to $100-150 more a night at other hotels).

Edgewater, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I spent the Saturday night at this hotel. After disastrous preceding reviews I was on high alert for trouble, but I am pleased to report that nothing went wrong and we had us a good weekend getaway.

The main reason I chose this hotel was because our getaway had to happen on a short notice and hotels where we stayed on previous visits were not available. Reviews for other hotels that had availability were even worse. My wife and I haven't stayed in a jacuzzi suite in a while. I've read a previous review which mentioned a condom on a picture frame, and it sounded like this place might be a good time!

When we entered the room, it looked neat and clean to me. Furnishings seemed to be in a good condition, all appliances and switches worked. The bathroom countertops were granite, and tile was in good condition. Sheets and towels were fresh. The bed was adequately comfortable, and it was quiet in the hotel at night, so we slept well.

The jacuzzi was clean when we arrived, and jets worked great. The only thing that confused me at first were electric switches, although by now I am used to hotel rooms where placement of switches makes no sense. To turn the jacuzzi on it was necessary to flip a switch on the wall above the jacuzzi, in addition to pushing the button that starts jets. Switches to turn on or dim the lights above the jacuzzi were on the side wall. I am posting a picture of the switches that I hope will help future guests. I am also posting pictures that show the condition of the room.

In my view the only reason NOT to recommend this hotel is its location. This hotel is located right off the on I-87, while the actual lake is about a mile further north on Route 9. This means that it is likely necessary to drive in order to get to the restaurants, shops and beaches. When in Lake George I recommend staying in the center of the town. In my opinion the hotel with the best location is Fort William Henry, because not only is it on Canada Street, which is the main shopping strip, but also it is right across Beach Road from the lake.

In summary, my experience in this hotel was positive. While it's not a five star resort, I think it's perfectly adequate for a night or two, and $200 for a jacuzzi suite during the peak season is a fair price. I am satisfied with my stay there, and I am happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: Take the jacuzzi suite :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Belgrade, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

There is an odor that I smell in certain hotels. It's a stale smell. This was in the lobby. Its just not fresh, but it was clean, not white glove clean but acceptable. The pool was very clean! The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. There is no breakfast - only coffee. The beds are comfortable and who has time for TV when Lake George is so beautiful and there is so much to do! It is quiet as well when you need to sleep. This hotel is away from the honky tonk which we appreciated.

1 Thank MajorJoy
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

First off, We only chose this hotel because it was cheap but also backed by Choice Hotels so we assumed it'd be fairly decent. We booked a King room with a Jacuzzi for almost 200 bucks after taxes and WHAT A WASTE!

The first room they brought us to was filthy! Before we even put our luggage down I went back to the front desk and requested another room. The second room was just as bad but I said whatever, this is as good as it gets I suppose? I went out of my way to go to a local store to pick up cleaning supplies to clean the room myself (Pathetic, right? Cleaning on vacation? What vacation?) I cleaned the soap scum off the Jacuzzi with clorox wipes and brought it to the very polite woman at the front desk to show her! She was just as disgusted! She kept the filthy wipes and wrote a note to show the general manager. I then went back to the room and realized the door wasn't latching! I couldn't lock it! I had to bother the nice woman at the desk AGAIN and she had to lock us in from the outside! OMMMMGGGG?!!? I was then going to grab a shower when I realized the bathroom smelt of urine and there was hair in the bathtub? You have got to be kidding???? What a nightmare!

Regular cable, no breakfast?

The only good thing about this hotel was the woman at the front desk was very friendly, polite and apologetic. She was just as disgusted with our room as we were! As I'm sure anyone would be!

Spoke with the "General Manager" MJ??? What a piece of work, I'm telling ya! His only response was they fixed the situation when they brought us to the second hotel room! That was obviously just as filthy. We should've stayed in the original room they gave us. I'm sure the door would've at least locked!

I filled out a complaint form on Choice Hotels and I'll be calling them on Monday. I don't know which makes me more upset? the filthy hotel room, wasting $200 or the way the bogus "GM" handled the situation. I hope Choice hotels makes this right! I would never recommend this hotel to anyone! Seriously unsafe, unsanitary and unacceptable!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rose1105Ny

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Walked into room, daughter noticed balloon on picture frame, which turned out to be a condom.
Was quoted one price then charged another on bank statement.
Bed sheets stained, carpet was not vacummed , and room smelled. Go else where

2 Thank Nany E
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I am spoiled by my travels, with staying in Marriotts, and Hiltons, that Its hard to even think about staying in a place like a Rodeway Inn. AS I was looking for a place to stay, this was the cheapest place, as this area seems to be a beach town, and we all know beach towns inflate their rates during the summer time... Obviously I wasn't here for all that... but the room was pleasant, The Lady that checked me in was exceptional. The bed was comfortable, the TV had plenty of channels to choose from, and the parking lot was large enough for me to get the bus in.

The good part is, I'm back again for my second visit in two weeks, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks again Rodeway Inn!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business