“Inexpensive for Lake George area, but not comfortable for non-smokers”
Review of Doray Motel

Doray Motel
Doray Motel
Ranked #62 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Inexpensive for Lake George area, but not comfortable for non-smokers”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I had an early morning meeting in Lake George and needed somewhere to stay for one night. In the summer most Lake George hotels are expensive and many require multiple night stays. I figured I would stay at the Doray Motel because compared to other Lake George properties it is cheap. It was a very basic old-fashioned motel room with very dated and simple furnishing. That was OK with me. The best things to say about it was that it was quite clean and the proprietor was friendly. The problems were: Right on the road and very noisy - although the air-conditioning fan provided some white noise. It was very difficult to breathe because the room reeked of cigarette smoke from prior occupants. The mattress was very soft. If you need someplace cheap to stay a night in Lake George you may not have better options, but this hotel still cost about $100 for the night. Anyplace else I would expect to cost half that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank andy j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Last time I visited Lake George, NY was about 20 years ago and my my.... how things have changed!!! Lake George is sooo much more of a tourist trap and commercialized than it used to be. They certainly do not make it inviting by the need to have buckets of quarters at your disposal just to park anywhere. It is no longer a relaxing place to visit. Don't get me wrong, the place is still very beautiful but not really an attraction unless you are young and like to get drunk and stupid.

As for the Doray Motel I wish I could say more positive things about it since the owners appear to be real nice people. My overall impression was that Hotels on Lake George are way overpriced and so Doray is one of the few that is reasonably priced. But, Doray could use a few updates. For instance, the room heaters produce a lot more noise than heat. On cold nights you will not find any extra blankets in the room. The TV was a good size and has many channels to choose from. The room itself is vintage 1950s knotty pine walls so it looks both rustic and dated at the same time. This is a typical 1950 era motel. The room was clean but the carpeting is worn and cold. The bathroom is clean but the shower is very very small. Don't look for a pool here but if you are young and in shape it is about a 15-20 minute walk to Lake George beach.

Overall, if you are on a budget, staying only a night or two, or not looking to impress anyone than the Doray is your place to stay. If you are looking to relax and really see nature and the Adirondacks than I suggest you not stay around Lake George at all. If you still want to visit Lake George take plenty of quarters with you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank UR_Hotel_Critic
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The Doray has a lot of potential as a charming little 50's style motel. The owners are courteous and friendly. I would love to stay when the place is up to snuff. It falls a bit short when it comes to updating for now, though. Repairs seem to be the minimal - the outdoor steps up to the rooms 14-16 had riser repairs on the bricks - but they were dangerously positioned to worry about a potential fall as one would descend them. One of the window panes was repaired with a piece of plywood and the toilet leaked heavily upon flushing - from between the bowl and the base. The heat was very difficult to control, as well. Ask to stay in one of the buildings that are detached from the main one - as the cooking smells from he owner's quarters waft into the 3 rooms behind them - and linger quite long. That was not pleasant when we had returned from our own dinner ready to turn in for the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently updated room in a detached building. Request a refrigerator, if needed.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank w m

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Johnstown, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayedhere last year when they took over I stayed for 10 nights. Then this time I stayed again for ten nights they are great people. If you have an issue they fix the issue on the spot. I would recomend you to stay here it would be a good experince for you. Any ?????????
Jim jdh32969@yahoo.com

Room Tip: Its close to everything walking distance.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank James H
Homosassa FL
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at the Doray over this past weekend while in town for a family wedding. It was 101 the day we arrived and the owners had gone in and started the AC units an hour or so before we arrived- MUCH appreciated! We were having a problem with one of the units keeping up with the oppressive heat- the owners came in and set up a fan perfectly so the room cooled down in no time. I loved this hotel with it's 50's charm (with all new bedding,) very accommodating owners, and great location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank brittenkHomosassaFL
NH
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Doray for a weekend. In total, there were 4 of us and we stayed in two rooms connected by a bathroom. The rooms are small and basic but they do the trick. The tv and air conditioning worked and we had no issues. I would recommend staying there. The owners are very courteous and responsive.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Itsamystery_tm
Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the Elvis Festival and were treated like royalty! We have a little dog (Monte) so we were put into a cabin instead of a regular room. We had a bit of problem with the plumbing, but the managers fixed the problem right away and discounted our hotel bill. While we were attending the Elvis Festival (Where my husband was competing and performing), the managers took care of Monte, letting him play in the enormous yard and playing with him. They bent over backward to please us!

The cabin itself was older and certainly could do with a makeover, but for the price, it was well worth it. We'd stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple