“Wish I could rate lower than 1”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Depe Dene Resort

Depe Dene Resort
Ranked #59 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Pompton Plains, New Jersey
“Wish I could rate lower than 1”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

It was awful. The beds sunk in the middle, electric wires exposed, leaks in roof and less than responsive staff. The room was next to a propane tank and a trash area so there were garbage trucks early in the morning.

5 Thank dpb_10

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The view is gorgeous and relaxing. The lake beach is very accesible. Chairs available on the beach. Kids love swimming out to the dock and using the paddleboats. Tubing (pulled on back of motor boat ) was great fun for all. Depe Dene has lots to do and is located near down town Lake George and Bolton Landing. We never run out of things to do whether it is relaxing or horseback riding. Something for all ages.

Cabins located on beautiful Lake George are a bit rustic but well equipped. No daily housekeeping and I prefer to do a quick wipe down /cleaning upon arrival. We enjoy grilling outdoors and going into town to eat.

A great vacation for families with a variety of ages.

1 Thank eschlack
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

The location on the lake is beautiful and my son, son-in-law and grandsons say the fishing was great. The office staff was helpful to us. These are the 3 good things about Depe Dene. It is expensive even when not in season and I could not imagine paying full season rates. It is not handicapped accessible and, we had a handicapped person with us. They have a pet free policy, except for therapy dogs, Iand guess this policy went out the window. People even brought them to the beach to do what they need to do. I used one of the washing machines and did not notice that it didn't empty until I had to put the cloths into the dryer. I guess I washed my clothes in the dirty water of the person before me. Seems like almost everything we touched was broken or didn't work. The owner really needs invest the money needed to revitalize the place. We were told the swimming pool was heated but I guess the heater was broken and the pool was dirty. The spa water was murkey. My daughter's rooms had ants. Like I said it needs a lot or work and could really be beautiful because it is in a beautiful spot. Internet shopping is very hard because many times the pictures you see are not what you get.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank loveslakegeorge34048

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

West Orange, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

The accommodations at this place were just awful----filthy, falling apart and all around gross. My husband and two young sons stayed there last week with my parents to celebrate my mom's birthday. We couldn't have chosen an ickier place if we tried. There was mold on the shower curtain and in the bathroom. A drawer face fell off within 5 minutes of arrival. There were exposed wires sort of taped to the baseboards of various rooms. The mattresses, single couch (for a townhouse that slept 8-10) ,and carpet were ridiculously old and filthy. The roof leaked. Let me repeat that part---THE ROOF LEAKED. After we complained about it, we then had to spend the next two days of our vacation as they hammered away for hours on end. If we grew tired of the noise, we could walk out on our balcony that overlooked an overflowing dumpster and the maintenance shed. It was a dump.

I've never written a single online review of any product, resort, or anything in my entire life, but this place was so unbelievably awful that I feel compelled to tell people to spend their money elsewhere.

5 Thank cjb62
metuchen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We decided on a last minute vacation for the fourth of July weekend in Lake George and booked the first availability for a resort on the lake. The lake access was awesome. We stayed in the roundhouse (aspen - 2 bedroom) which was a hop to a beach leading into the lake. We have a toddler under 2, and she had an epic time. Someone from the resort helped us out with lifejackets and a paddleboat. The full deck view from our room was unbelieveable and we saw fireworks right over the lake in front of us! The service responded to my requests and needs in a very timely manner. The internet signal flaked out on use (hey - we are in the mountains) and place is a little dated, but we had a great time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Yorktown Heights, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

Our extended family have been coming here for 16+ years for an annual family reunion. It's been getting better and the last few years, it's obvious that renovations and updates have been taking place. Our cabin hasn't been updated much and the couch is still pretty old and saggy, but for a 3 day weekend, I think it's fine. I've always found the plates and general kitchenware to be clean; you do need to pack a lot of your own things if you plan to eat there. What many of our family members do is eat at the Lone Bull, the restaurant right next door, which works well for a short stay. The pool was updated a few years ago and is really nice, you wouldn't even know you were just feet away from busy Lake Shore Drive, it's nicely landscaped, the pool is big, there's lots of chairs and lounges and the hot tub works and is nice. The water is clean and not strongly chlorinated. You do need to bring your own beach towels. The lake is beautiful and the beach is well maintained. Overall, I would recommend Depe Dene; I have not stayed at any other establishment. One thoughtful touch was, my daughter left a sweater there. I called and they had it, and had laundered it and said they would send it to me, no charge.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
North Hampton, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

We were staying at Depe Dene during Americade and had booked one of the two Mountain Cabins. The first night everything was fine, but then on the second as more of our group arrived and used the toilet more, our toilet overflowed, and our tub started filling up. We called the office around midnight, not realizing they weren't on call 24/7, which is understandable, but we couldn't flush our toilet or put toilet paper in it for the rest of the night, which obviously was pretty gross! The next morning the maintanence man came and thought he took care of the problem, which in the mean time they let us go down to one of the empty cabins to shower and use the bathroom, but not 10 minutes later when we where doing our dishes in the kitchen, the tub and toilet both filled up again. It was agreed that the problem was going to take some time and work to resolve, so we would need to be moved. The cabin we were in had 3 bedrooms each with 2 double beds. At first they suggested we move to a cabin with 3 double beds total and put my daughter on the couch, but to us that was not an option, so they came up with a much nicer solution, one which will keep us returning as customers for many years to come. They moved us to the owners private estate on the lake, where he has a guest cottage, which they rent out as part of the hotel. The cottage itself was a generous upgrade compared to our other cabin. It was 2 stories, with 4 bedrooms, 6 beds in total and huge kitchen and a livingroom with 3 couches plus 2 bathrooms. The 2 downstairs bedrooms both have sliders out to a stone patio w/ tables and chairs set probably 30 ft up the hill from the lake. Absolutely beautiful! Then we found out after that that we also had the use of the nearby gazebo, and beyond that a fire pit area with chairs and a 4 person rocking chair swing, and the farther down, we were also aloud to use the private beach. I have to thank Ana...she was nothing but helpful and out of the 2 women working in the office, she was extra friendly and outgoing, and really seemed to care that we got what we paid for and more, and that we were truely satisfied customers, which we were. Ana...thanks again and can't wait to see you again next June! I encourage more customers of Depe Dene to write in there good expierences because it really is a great place to stay. Only one little complaint...it said the pool is heated, but it was a cold as the ocean...if your going to advertise for a heated pool, you should let your customers know ahead of time if it isn't before they all jump in and freeze to death! :) Overall though, great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends