“First time campers at LGECG and it was a delightful last minute find!! Bring bug spray-a must!!!”

Lake George Escape Campground
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We called the 800 hotline on a Friday for a last minute, spur of the moment decision to go camping with the kids ( ages 16, 14, 10 & 5). We saw the images of the camp and the camp map and thought, well, it's next to a river and near Lake George so we went ahead and booked for a site near the river (Ws are next to the river). We were advised right off the phone that since it's the furthest away from the main building, amenities are also a long walk away. Which were fine with us because we just want to set camp near the river to fish (NYS licensed required). Guest check in reps were very friendly, polite, welcoming and the service were fast. We were in and out of the check-in desk in less than minutes. We got to the site, which were pretty decent and clean but the fire pit did not have a grill to cook on (we went to a local hardware store to buy one because the general store ran out). But the greatest surprise: my kids went to the riverside to scout the area and found a rope swing! There are 2 pools in the vicinity but the kids spent the entire weekend jumping into the refreshingly cool river water. There are plenty of activities for kids (evening dance parties? Karaoke?), volleyball, softball, and the tubing trips where they get picked up by a school bus to dropped them off up river and ends by the beach along the campground. Kayaking and canoeing were also done. Our neighbors (we were fortunate enough to camp with other like-minded campers with kids) were polite and friendly and there were no loud music drinking parties that were heard on this trip. The staff were very helpful especially the kayak/canoe instructor at the boat launch. We did see staff on golf carts doing rounds ever so often throughout the day, not that we needed any security issues or any concerns about our stay. We got up early in the mornings, start breakfast, and hiked Whiteface Mtn near Lake Placid. We also took the time to check out downtown Lake George area one evening and enjoyed our walk, found some great souvenir items, ice cream parlor galore, and local restaurants.
The only negative about this trip were the bugs! Looked like green mosquitoes (never seen the likes of it) swarming all over the campsite. My kids had to wear long pants and shirt to avoid getting bitten especially at night and we went through 2 bottles of OFF bug repellant sprays. There are porta-potties near our site but I'd rather drive my kids down to the main building were the showers and restrooms were decently clean and stocked with toilet papers. Aside from that, my family had a great time (lots of pictures and videos especially since even the PARENTS took part in the river rope swing challenge). S'mores at night, and it didn't rain at all that weekend so one can see the sky filled with twinkling bright stars that my kids enjoyed with their portable telescope. All in all, it was a great camping weekend and we will definitely come back again: bugs or no bugs! I just hope our next trip we wouldn't have to use the repellant sprays.

3  Thank Ti63RLiLY21
There are newer reviews for Lake George Escape Campground

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked 2 cabins for one night on July through Expedia. Got an email confirmation, all good to go. 2 days after, I called up the resort to inquire about the cabins, the front desk person said she cannot finds reservation. I told her I booked the cabins through expedia and I got the confirmation. She asked me to call up expedia, I did but Expedia was unable to reach someone from the reservations office as they were already closed. Expedia did guarantee me that everything should be fine and that it just takes awhile for the reservation to show up from the central processing office ( or something like that). The next day, I got a voicemail message from Lake George escape campground's supervisor stating that the cabins I booked are not available. I called up and spoke to a different supervisor, told her the message that I got from the other supervisor , and she basically told me that it's not available ( without even bothering to double check in the computer- no attempts to see if she can do anything- just cold and unsympathetic about it). Do not book here unless you're willing to risk your vacation. Imagine if I did not call up to ask about the cabin, I would not have found out that our Expedia reservation is worthless!!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jewels0726
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a great vacation! We camped by the river in a tent for a week! Lots of friendly camper as neighbors! Everyone was very helpful and our camp site was perfect :) we will be back next summer for another great week! Thank you again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My family and friends have been coming to this campground for years, always booking a minimum of four sites. The past three years at least one family in our group has had an issue with their reservations. And the staff is extremely friendly...unless there is an issue. Who wants to travel with kids for two hours and then spend another 3 sorting out reservation issues! Meanwhile, you have rude staff laughing and telling other staff that you should just go home!! For the price you pay to stay there, the staff should be friendly and try to fix their mistakes! In the end, my family got kicked out of the campground the last time because we didn't want to settle for less than what we paid for! They wanted to stick us on a site that didn't have the hookups needed for our RV. So needless to say, our vacation was ruined. Unfortunately, as much as we loved it there, we will never go back and have found another campground near by that is just as fun, less expensive and has friendlier staff.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get what you reserved and don't be surprised if the site you're sent to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank gigi315
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here! I love the central location of the playground/pool/tent/gem mining/kid's play area. There are a few sites that are nearby, too, if you want to watch your children while you play. Amazing fields for baseball, kickball, etc. The staff was friendly all around, the grounds were clean, and it was just a fun atmosphere. I love to have activities for my son, and this place had plenty for all ages. Cannot wait to go here again and bring my older nephews.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Beautiful campground surrounded by a river, full of ponds, and tons of activities (live DJ at nights, a bar, pool, go kart bikes, mini golf course, etc). Very family friendly, but also very "friends" friendly too. The campground employees don't hassle you unreasonably about coolers, alcohol, or low levels of talking after quiet hours like other camp grounds in the area. The staff was very friendly. Definitely recommended. Make sure to bring and use bug spray, especially if staying by a body of water!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joe L
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We just returned from a long weekend at Lake George Escape. We had a beautiful site on the water, just as requested, and the owners continue to make upgrades every year. There was a problem with something left behind on our site and someone was there within 2 minutes handle it. Five stars for that. There are tons of things for the kids to do (swimming, fun house, basketball, tennis, volley ball, kids tattoos, hair braiding, gem mining, tubing, wagon rides, themed weeks and weekends, contests, pedal bikes, bonfires, s'mores....) The pools are clean and comfortable -my kids don't want to go back to our "cold pool." We love the loudspeaker with announcements and the staff are pleasant and good at what they do. The clean bathrooms and showers here are unrivaled in camping. The only suggestion I'd make for families with young campers is to request a site further away from the DJ on weekends. We didn't realize there was a DJ from 8-11pm. I really appreciate the extra activities this campground offers that others do not, but maybe there is a way to have a DJ and contain the noise a little better with some structure or something. We were shocked at how loud it was in such a great location for families. Still, we had a beautiful weekend and will be back this summer and fall!

Room Tip: There is a DJ on weekends from 8-11pm, so if you want a quiet site, ask to be away from the activity...
1  Thank gurligyrl