“Great camping experience”

Lake George Escape Campground
nys
“Great camping experience”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We enjoy this campground. It's very relaxing. Pools are heated and the river is fun for tubing. The activity schedule keeps our children entertained all day long. Kids participate in crafts, dodgeball, soccer, movie time and bingo etc. and each weekend there are themed activities. Check out the free s'mores at 8PM every Friday night. Great place to bring your dog while camping.
The minigolf needs to be updated.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank cedarvalley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I booked our trip 6 months in advance. I booked a "River View Campsite on the River" at an extra cost. My site was S30. There was also an additional "fee" of $6 per child to have my 2 children stay at my campsite. I will say that the staff was VERY friendly. That included the people I called and spoke to on the phone to make my reservations to the people found throughout the camp working. I was disappointed that my $80 night campsite that was disappointly small and unable to even see the river. There was NO grass except at the playing field. The campsites were dirt and rock covered. The site next to us was so small and terrible that the 3 families that pulled into it while we were there for 1 week (8-8-09 to 8-15-09) pulled out and refused to stay at that site. The whole time we stayed there we never got a "hot shower". We took showers at different times throughout the day to try and find HOT water. We never did. They were never as clean as I would have liked (and as a camper my standards aren't that high)and the pressure was terrible a trickle at best . There were activites that 1/2 of them were an extra charge. The pools were the size of an average backyard inground pool for over 300 campsites. They should probably put in a bigger one for the amount of people that were crammed in it. The campground was not aboslutely terrible, BUT for the extra cost I could have stayed at a hotel. This place is 3x more expensive than most campgrounds and it was no better than other campgrounds we have stayed at in the past. For my money I thought it would be something special, but it was an average campground at best. Save your money stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Flotsum
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This campground is one we will return to for years to come. The staff is always friendly. There are so many activities for all ages. While we were staying here, they had a band. It was great. We danced the night away. My neice loves the dancing wagon rides. We also enjoyed the tube rides. My favorite thing about this campground is that we never have a problem getting four good sites together. See you next year.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank AMYSON1
nj
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Our family has been camping with a group of friends for 8 years. We have always gone to the same campground, but wanted to try some place new. I started to plan this trip back in Nov. 2008. I called a to reserve 11 sites. The people that I talked with on the phone were very friendly and helpful. I explained how we work out our trip and what type of sites we would need. I was told that there was a site set aside for staff right in the middle of all our sites and next to the extra site. If the site couldn’t be left open, we would selected different sites. After talking with management, they said not to worry and that the staff site would not be there and we would be able to use it. Everyone paid extra to reserve their specific site.
Fast forward to our arrival. The staff site is there, smack dab in the middle of all our sites. One group was switch to the end of the street after paying extra for what ended up being the staff site. There were 3 trailers and it was like we were looking at a giant wall. This site was also next to our community site, that in my opinion is no longer community, because it has strangers next to it. The other sites were ok, but some were very small.
I went to talk to management on Sat. and I was told I would be called to fix the problem. The only fix I am looking for is a credit on the site. Sun. comes and late afternoon I follow up with management. Same story…We will call. Mon…repeat Sun…..Tues…Repeat Mon.
Now I have had it and ask to speak to the GM. I am told he is in a meeting and will come to our site in a half hour. We wait an hour and he finally gets to our site. I explain to him our problem and he asks if there has been a problem with the staff. Well, yes there is a problem. We were told they wouldn’t be there and we paid extra to hold the site. Beyond that I had to walk to security to complain about them singing YMCA in Polish and English at 1 AM. Plus the fact that we are camping with all ages and we did not want our teens witness to the comings and goings of a bunch of young adults.
The GM proceeds to look around at all the empty sites down the road and says why didn’t we just take one of the other sites. HELLO….that is not the issue. The reservation is the issue. Sure lets set up in a site, then move to a new one every time someone else moves in.. What? He also proceeds to tell me that no site is guaranteed… Excuse me, then why do you take extra money to hold a site. He says what if a tree falls in the site, they can’t control that. This I know, but placing 3 trailers in a site that was paid for you can control. After a little more talking I get a credit for the cost of the site. The credit is a campground credit and we can use it anywhere in the campground, but the arcade. Fine. That is settled.

Negatives- It took way to long to resolve our problem. Quit time is not observed very well. Security barely comes around to enforce quit time. We had a huge group move into the site next to us and they were up at 5:30-6 AM loud and laughing. Very rude. When it rained, many of the sites were underwater. We rode our bikes around and saw that some sites were underwater for over a day. Fishing is..blah. The swimming area is very small. The weekend got so crowded, it was uncomfortable. Lots of the sites are very small.

Positives- We always saw the staff cleaning the bathroom and grounds. They camp offers a breakfast buffet everyday. The camp store is stocked REALLY well. The staff is very friendly. The pools were fine and tubing was fun. The older kids loved using the shuttle service to Lake George Village, outlets and 6 flags. Our site were located near the showers and laundry service areas. There was also a large sink outside the bathroom to wash the dishes. There were lots of events for the young kids. The adults enjoyed the bar. The river is very calm.

I am unsure if I would return, but most of our campers had a nice time.

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank njcampers
Camp Hill, PA
Reviewed 17 October 2008

I will start by saying that we stayed during the off season, but had an awesome stay. We have a travel trailer, and requested a wooded campsite on the river-and that is exactly what we got. Site was perfect size-not to big/not to small. My only complaint is that the firering was rather small compared to other campgrounds we've visited. Many of the ammeninities were not available b/c it was the off season, but this was not unexpected. Seasonal campsites well maintained and not rundown and "dumpy" looking. Seasonal campers very pleasant to deal with. Bath houses very clean and modern, although had little need to use them. Some campsites may have some road noise, but we had none from our site. Roads well labeled and well maintained. Overall, had an excellent stay.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — slightly further away from Lake George Village than other campgrounds
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
upstate ny
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I was also hesitant to stay at this campground because of the reviews. We visited it before it was open for the season and I spoke to them several times about seasonal sites. Each and every time, I received prompt and courteous attention.

We stayed four of July long weekend. We camp at alot of different places and there was no comparison. The site was quite large. The personnel were extremely helpful and friendly even though it was a chaotic holiday time. We had family and friends stop by several times so we had more than the # of cars allowed, no complaints from management.

I recently stayed at Adirondack Adventures in Saratoga - probably 15 campsites being used in the whole park, and none near our site and we were spoken to for having 1 extra car at our site. we were spoken to for using paper plates "household garbage" to start the fire. Little did they know, they blew a booking for the whole month of august from their crappy attitude.

This campground was extremely clean, lots of activities, and the activities were reasonable priced as well. I have a 3, 10 and 17 year - so it can be difficult to find a place where all 3 are happy.

Very pet friendly, kid friendly and adult friendly - what more could you ask for.

• Liked — very friendly/ location/activities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank campnfamilyny
Connecticut
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We just returned from this campground...what a letdown.We booked with the 800 number one month in advance and paid in full. When we arrived they had totally messed up, no reservation in the computer, all sold out...would you like an "overflow site"? (in the middle of a grass field by a frog pond or right by the dumping station? The manager steps in after this 30 minute, heated discussion and says we have the site we had reserved, and that this employee had not just told us what we clearly had just heard.....The bathrooms either had no tp or no paper towels or both. Porta-potties (closest to our tent site)..absolutely disgusting. If you use shower #4 in the front section of the camp, don't plan on getting out any time soon...the door lock is broken and you will be stuck in there. The other bathrooms and showers always had huge lines or they were closed for what they called cleaning.The sites were so close together that you could hear every conversation....including the screaming children in the family of 20 next to us.... at 6:00 am, daily. No security.....the first night we had loud drunks sleeping in their cars on the empy site next to us...(I thought they were sold out?) ....they arrived at 3:00 am and left at 6:00 am...Who let them into the park? Not so warm and fuzzy having two children with us. I would never go back there and wouldn't even want a complimentary stay if they offered for such a bad experience. We have camped many places before and had great experiences. This park has a lot for the kids to do, but the lack of customer service and the dirty facilities along with the who cares attitude of the staff there did not make up for it at all.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Not what it seemed on the website.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family