“Great Place for Families”

Lake George Escape Campground
NY
“Great Place for Families”
Reviewed 24 June 2007

We just came back from Lake Geroge Escape and it was very nice. We rented a 24' cabin which has a capacity of 5 people but that would be very tight. I would say two small kids would be the most. It was my husband, myself and our 2 year old in a pack and play. The cabin was clean and came with glasses, dishes, pots/pans/steak knives... all the stuff you need to bbq. You need to bring your own sheets/towels. It was away from most of the other sites so except for the birds chirping away at 5:30am it was quite peacful. The general store has everything. The activities are completely geared toward families. If you have kids over the age of 5 you could stay at the campground all day and they would be entertained. We didn't go swimming b/c it was not hot enough but the pools looked nice. There are kids everywhere and lots of them are riding bikes. You have to go very slowly when driving through. It looks like a giant daycamp. There were lots of staff driving around in golf carts and everyone was friendly. .It's an easy drive (10 minutes) to Lake George village or Bolton Landing. Overall it was nice to stay someplace other than a hotel (it's mostly motor lodge type motels in town) and we weren't roughing it.

• Liked — That is was family oriented.
  • Disliked — The mattress was not that comfortable and the futon mattress was really soft.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 17 July 2006

I I stayed at Lake George Escape for the first and last time July 2006. The sites are muddy with a little stone where you park your Rv. It is in need of maintence. The grass and weeds are out of control. We went to Walmart and bought Hedge trimmers to cut down the weeds around our site. I would not go there again. There are alot of other campgrounds around Lake George in better shape. Look around and be careful where you stay...

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2006

Wow let me tell you this campground is amazing! Not only is this campground family oriented with things to do for all ages but its right next to dozens of fun places including six flags great escape, restuarants that are to dye for, the town of lake george and a wonderfull golf course. NOTE TO CAMPERS: although this place is a blast for all ages it is not quiet all secluded which in my case was perfect for my rambunctious kids but if you are looking to get away and just relax in the woods i think you might want to rethink your stay here. With so many attributes you would think there has to be some downfall and the only one i can think of is its a little bit dusty but other then that its a wonderfull place to stay!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Franklin Square, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2006

We camped at Lake George Escape the week before Fourth of July. We camped along the river(W98). Nice spot, far away from the bathrooms and showers. did have porty pottys nearby. We enjoyed the campground as a whole. This is no longer run by a family but a corporation bought the campsite. The employees are a little lost. Not friendly or helpful at all. The pros:

-very clean bathrooms and showers.
-has activities for the kids but for a price(train ride$1,push pedal carts)
-2 pools. 1 heated

cons:
DO NOT STAY BY THE RIVER. BEWARE OF THE MOSQUITIOS. We were the only ones near the river for two nights and could not figure out why we were walking around with long pants and shirts and everyone else had shorts.Those things were bighting that my kids legs and arm were swollen. We asked to move and they said "when your camping there's always some mosquitios." Well there wasn't "some". I have been camping before and have never ran from the car to the tent fearful of being bitten. We were moved to a new site(827). Good thing because two days later the river overflowed with the heavy
rains at night that many campsites were 3 feet under water .

Overall I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank zack728
Monroe, NY
Reviewed 8 August 2005

If you are going here and camping in a tent forget it..THE DUST IS THE WORST!
I have to say there are allot of positives about this place. Great amenities for the kids, Clean Rest rooms and showers for about a 1/2 an hour or so..Really nice staff.
But if you are camping in a tent or a pop up this place is the worst for dirt and dust. The big Bus campers come by every few minutes and the DUST is UNIMAGINABLE (how about Diesel fumes in your face). I have been camping all over the West in a tent (Tuson, Sedona, Grand Canyon) and I have to say this is the WORST for trucks and cars kicking up dirt and dust. They put the Tent sites on a main road that gets heavy traffic there was so much dust in my Tent in my food, on my clothes...my Dog was gagging. They should put the money that they make into paving the roads that would have helped.

Another thing this place is soooo overpopulated you could not move in the pool. I could not figure out if it was chlorinated or salt water it tasted so nasty?? The sites are on top of each other.

If you are looking for Amenities this is the place...but forget the tent. Not a place to relax and enjoy the Adirondaks..Its basically a Tourist camping hotspot..This was my first and last time..

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Mark Q
Reviewed 27 July 2005

Stayed the week of july 11th. Granted you cannot control the mosquitoes and the heat and humity, but this place was the worst "camp" grounds i ever visited. My site was just down the right from the entrance and you can see AND hear the cars and trucks on 87 all day and night. The sites are the size of postage stamps and they squeeze you in everywhere. When you make reservations ask if you are on the site RIGHT next to the propane filling station, which im sure the small wooden fence makes a big difference. Also where in the world do you have a kids train drive up and down every street of the site from 11am-1 pm and then 4-6pm and have the bell clangging and a golf cart following the train with a whistle blowing, good luck trying to catch a quick nap after a long day at this dump. The bathrooms and showers on the other hand are the cleanest ive ever seen at a public facility, but other than that dont say you werent warned.

Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2004

We stayed at Lake George Escape campground with two other families. We had a great time! We loved the campground! Everyone was soooo friendly. It was very clean and there was plenty for the kids to do every day. Would love to go back.

6 Thank PeachyKeen4
Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Lake George RV Park
Lake George RV Park
#2 of 32 in Lake George

Been to Lake George Escape Campground? Share your experiences!