“Good sandwiches - rude & oblivious cashier”

Ray's Helova Deli & Discount
Ranked #59 of 162 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ray's Helova Deli is located on route 9N just north of the Village of Lake George. Conveniently located with in walking distance of the Hearthstone Campground, Ray's is your one stop place for any of your camping and vacationing needs. For your convenience we have an ATM, cigarettes, beer, soda, coffee, discounted rodeo tickets, ice, firewood, propane tanks, fishing bait, toys and water toys, juice, newspapers, charcoal, and much much more! Stop by and check us out, and remember, skip the lines, call in your submarine and sandwich orders for quick pick up! Don't forget the liquor and wine located directly next door!!
New York
“Good sandwiches - rude & oblivious cashier”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Traveling to VT, we stopped here for sandwiches. The young lady that took both our order & made our sandwiches was pleasant and efficient. When I got in line, I let about 6 people ahead of me, bec my sandwiches weren't ready yet & I also had the time. When I approached the counter, I smiled & told the man what I ordered. I also put up a bottle of water and pack of gum. He was very abrupt and told me he wouldn't check me out bec my order wasn't ready and that's just how "we work here". I assured him that of he looked behind him he would see that our sandwiches were indeed finished and he just needed to get them. I told him I also had a 1/4 lb of potato salad. I kept it friendly & commented on how busy the store was, & how that was great! He told me I had to step away bec the girl didn't weigh my salad yet. (But i didn't move bec in 5 seconds it was done.) He told me he just let someone go home bec they weren't busy today until now. He was obviously stressed out but no one deserves to be treated poorly. So I stood my ground, thanked him & checked out. The sandwiches were fantastic but his rude attitude will make me think again about stopping there. A little kindness & professionalism goes a long way, especially when you have a paying customer in front of you. :)

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank PeacenButterflies

“Not Like It Used To Be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We used to go to Ray's all the time for our provisions...ice, coffee, donuts, rolls, etc. However, on this last trip we purchased things in the morning and the donuts were hard as rocks that we didn't realize til we got back to the room...The rolls with butter were like wonderbread with margarine - we had to throw it all away...The coffee was ok, but husband said staff wasn't friendly either and that it seemd Ray's had seen better days....sorry...we wound up getting things from Neuffer's the rest of the trip.

• Visited September 2012
Clifton Park, New York
“Carole R”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I recently had a family reunion and had Ray's do the catering. The food was delivered on time and was excellent and plentiful. Wayne, the owner, was very helpful advising me with the food selection. Everyone was more than pleased with the quality of the food. This was the third time having this deli do catering, and I know I will definitely call on the services of Ray's for any future parties.

• Visited August 2012
Chatsworth, New Jersey
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I went to Ray's for the first time during my trip to Lake George this summer after I heard about how good the food was from some friends. The service is great. The employees are very helpful and friendly, they know where everything is located in the jam-packed store (they have everything!) and, on top of that, they know how to make a mean sub. The subs are great for the value, and all the salads are homemade and fresh. Get there early if you want stuff from their bakery, it goes quick! The liquor store next door is run by the same folks and is a bit pricey even for the area, but it's close by and has a good selection so you're paying for the convenience I guess. My kids love it too, they have tons of toys/novelties to check out and not to mention an icecream parlor too. Anyway, we will definitely be back because it really is a hell of a deli!

• Visited July 2012
Coxsackie, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I went in and bought 2 breakfast sandwiches price was about a dollar more than the expect for the region, however it was on very good bread but the egg ok and sausage was cheap. The service was terrible, the owners son (I persume by how cocky he was) behind the counter micro managing some poor exchange student made me wait in line twice to pay for my meal, I was already at the cash register and then manage to charge me the wrong amount. I the food was exceptable but I will never walk back in that deli and my house is only afew minutes away from it.

• Visited June 2012