“Love This Special Gem!”

Ranked #1 of 26 Lake George B&B and Inns
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
“Love This Special Gem!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I knew that I wanted to visit Lake George again but had never stayed at The Inn at Erlowest. It was a fabulous getaway and gave me a new appreciation of the beauty of the area. This is truly a gem. A unique and peaceful place. Beautiful views, comfortable beds, very personable and knowledgable staff, use of kayaks at no additional fee, outdoor fireplace to sit around at night and delicious breakfast included. Stayed in the Lake George suite and it was terrific! Thank you for an incredible two nights!

Room Tip: Originally booked the Howe room and thought it was a true lake view but you have to go up to the win...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
NY
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Was supposed to have my wedding here - signed contract, left a deposit as they were rushing me saying that the time I booked it for was very busy and many people were inquiring about it. A month later i found out I'm pregnant and due the time of the event. They did nothing for me - refused to return deposit, did not offer even partial credit. Now, I understand it's a business and that no one wants to lose out, but what made it worse is that they avoided returning my phone calls and only picked up ONCE when I was in Lake George and told them I will be stopping by. Tom (the wedding director) told me to write a letter so he can "take it up with management" I did, and still no reply, not in writing not via call. These people just have no common decency and to take that much money for deposit and not even work with me when I told them I was pregnant even BEFORE I told family members just to give them the opportunity to rent it out during their oh so busy time is just bad business. I am VERY disappointed. There are so many nicer places in Lake George where people treat you better that i would avoid this place like the plague. Not to mention the only good person working their Erin has left, hmmm, I wonder why....Thanks Erlowest for leaving a bad memory and taste for your venue. I will be sure to pass this information along at every opportunity I get.

3 Thank kuka
Tom W, General Manager at The Inn at Erlowest, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Luba. We were disappointed to see your review. We had spoken to each other a number of times. We offered to pay back your non-refundable deposit if we were able to book another wedding over the same date that you had contracted with us. We were unable to book another event on the same date that was agreed upon. We had also offered to use that deposit to a future wedding date as well. We wish you all the best.

Tom Wysocki
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This trip we stayed in the Montcalm suite. This suite, though more pricey than the previous suite we stayed at last year (Erlowest), was smaller in size but had its own private wrap-around balcony with breathtaking views of the lake and surrounding mountains. The new chef's creations matched the ambiance of the Inn. His culinary skills are superb! Kudos to the chef in his presentation and preparation of the duck. The staff has won our praises, as well. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The Erlowest and Schuyler suites are larger than the Montcalm suite.
1 Thank ronib0127
Cromwell, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We've been enjoying Lake George since we were children so we're talking almost 1/2 century (boy are we getting old). Being gourmands and world travelers we always felt that the missing link on the Lake was fine wine and dining. A few years back a local suggested visiting the Inn at Erlow West for the restaurant and world class chefs. As hard as it was to believe that such a venue existed on Lake George we thought we would give it a try.

We've been visiting the restaurant now for several years and never come to our property in Huketts Landing without at least one evening of dining bliss at the Inn (which takes us 45 minutes by car and about the same by boat, Well worth the trip). We've lived through several generations of chefs, all of which have been superior and some world class Michelin rated (e.g. Dale Miller now in Sperry's in Saratoga). The new chef is a CIA graduate and only there for a few months. I must say that this young gentleman designed a wonderful meal that was also quite memorable and the GM was very helpful with the wine pairings we requested. In the past they had a wine pairing dinner that was very reasonable considering the quality of food, extraordinary presentation, classic venue and very friendly staff.

Last night we started with a chees plate and scallops. The cheese plate was not the typical exotic cheeses from around the world but some local and common cheeses of extraordinary quality. To my great surprise, a local cheddar was one of my favorites on the platter. The other three cheeses were beautifully contrasted in flavor, texture and aroma making the fig and walnut accompaniments a perfect match. For her appetizer, my wife had the scallops which were large, plump and perfectly seasoned. The beet and fennel salad was refreshing and presented nicely and to use my wife's words it was "right on". My salad was very good also but no match for the beet and fennel which I will get next time if still on nthe menu. For entrees, I had veal cheeks and my wife had a combination filet and prawns. The filet was perfectly seasoned and prepared and the prawns too were prepared just right so that they had just the right pop when you would bite into them. My veal cheeks were tender, juicy and flavorable and served at the perfect temperature. The accompaiments for both entrees were complimentary and we were accommodated as we are trying to control our carb intake!

As mentioned the wine pairings were unique. Each of our courses were paired with 2 small servings (about 3oz) of a red and white so that we had a sampling of 4 wines per course. We enjoyed some more than others but thats expected. The surpise was a Resiling that neither my wife or I usually enjoy but really enhanced the scallops dish.

After the meal, we decided to get another bottle of wine and sit on the terrace overlooking the lake at sunset. The fireplace was started and even though it was very warm outside, the breeze off the lake along with the majestic views made for a wonderful end to a great meal. Oh, we so liked the cheese platter that we ordered 2 more and sat for an hour enjoying the view, the breeze and some nice conversation with other guests doing the same as us.

In summary, if your in the region and are looking for an oasis of culinary perfection I would give my 2 thumbs up to this fine dining venue. There's no place like it, but even if there were, it is worth a visit. Believe me, it would be worth your time. As my wife said at the end of the evening "It was a moment".

One last thing, we were told by some of the other guests that there was a rumor that the restaurant would be open only to guests of the inn in the future. Apparently, the costs associated with the food and preparation along with the staffing makes the restaurant a low profit center for the inn. As a businessman myself, I certainly understand that consideration. That said, the restaurant is the hook that brings people to the venue. It is primarily because of the restaurant that we have recommended the inn to many of our friends. The inn itself is amazing but the restaurant is the leader which brings people in to stay and book the banquets in the wonderful hall that was built from stone quarried from the same stone as the original building. In fact, if it were me, I would open the inn for breakfast or brunch to bring in more folks like us that give as much weight to the culinary experience as we do the venue, service and the many other factors that the Inn at Erlow West has to offer.

2 Thank Steven S
Defreestville, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This was the fourth year in a row that we celebrated our anniversary with a stay at this wonderful venue. It is a beautiful former mansion that has been converted into 10 suites. We stayed 3 nights and hated to leave. They had just introduced a new menu in their awesome restaurant, and the selections were inspired. Wonderful, courteous staff, who treat you like family. If the rate seems high, you must remember that a sumptuous dinner is included, as is a full breakfast. It is close to both Lake George Village and Bolton Landing with many local attractions to visit. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Their web site has photos and descriptions of all 10 rooms...no two are alike. We have stayed in 3 d...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis M
Gloversville, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2013

the location of this B&B is superb. The view of Lake George is beautiful and a short walk to the lake where you can take advantage of kayaks, canoes was great. There's also a private beach area for residents. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Coffee/tea available 24 hrs. complimentary cheese/champagne delivered to room upon arrival, even soup served around 4pm. in common area. We didn't dine here but breakfast was plentiful and good. Would recommend this spot to travelers from near and afar. We only drove 1 hr but it was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: there are 6 rooms available and we chose the smallest but it was beautifully decorated and in no way...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank john k
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Pulling up in the driveway of this beautiful, old stone mansion gave one a sense of America's social history. We stayed in the Montcalm: balcony, windows overlooking the lake, fireplace, jacuzzi and beautiful, comfortable bed. The breakfasts were outstanding but the dinner was sublime. Salad with goat cheese, seared scallops w/risotto, a buttery salmon and a Meyer Lemon blueberry tart. The staff was incredibly friendly. A couple of things that need to be fixed: Make sure a restaurant is open before you send the guest; have better info on things to do in the area and have more knowledge about the history of the mansion. These itmes do not detract in any way from our stay.

Room Tip: The Montcalm is the most beautiful with private balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple