“The Erlowest is Miss leading”

The Inn at Erlowest
Ranked #1 of 25 Lake George B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My husband has just recently returned home from the war in Afghanistan & we also have five children. We needed to get away for a weekend for my husband to come some what back to reality. I made reservations for March 26Th -March 28Th at the Inn at Erlowest. Their staff informed me before I made the reservations that a 3 course dinner & breakfast for both days were included in the price of $300.00 per night plus tax. The staff member assured me that we could definitely relax at there facility. Our stay was no where near relaxing. The 3 course dinner on the first night that was included in the price cost us an additional $45.00 & they informed us we only receive a $90 credit towards dinner. Not told to us at the time of booking the room. There was a beautiful outdoor fireplacee with a view of the lake. The first night we were unable to enjoy it because of weather conditions & we looked forward to the second night. My husband just returning from the war, still has his days & nights all mixxed up,we attempted to nap during the day of the 27Th. There was a wedding being held at there establishment, so there were children & adults running in the halls & up & down in the elevator, laughing & doors opening & closing. I am understanding , its a wedding , but the Staff should have informed us that there would be a wedding going on that weekend & see if I would be interested in booking a different time to stay. Insted we were assured that our stay would be restful. We quickly gather our selves & left the facility to go relax someplace else. We later returned in the evening, having had dinner out because of their scam, only to return to the wedding and no parking. Our goal of relaxing by the fire by the lake was now gone because the fire was surrounded by a wedding party. So we returned to our room , to listen to the loud guests talk about the wedding & all that they had drank & how intoxicated they were. We couldn't wait to leave this atmosphere, it was no where near relaxing. When we returned home I called The Inn At Er lowest & spoke to the owner (Cheryl). She said she was sorry that the wedding party was loud & we should have told her of this at the time, I pleasantly told her that the error was on her part. She should have informed us that the wedding was being held that weekend. I am a considerate person & if I were having a wedding starting my new life with my husband the last thing I would want is someone to tell me or my guests to be quiet. I also informed her that she should not tell her guests that dinner is included. Insted she should tell the truth & say that there is a $90.00 credit towards their dinner. The only thing she had to say to us is that she is sorry & she will consider this in the future for other guests. She offered us nothing for all that we had gone through. Frustrated beyond belief I hung up the phone & decided to contact the BBB.The staff at the time of our stay was very nice & the establishment was beautiful. It was just very miss leading & I feel that we should have been informed there was a wedding being held there the weekend we were booking so that we could consider changing our dates. I also feel that we should have been told that the "included dinner" was really a $90 credit. When presented with the bill upon check out I noticed a fee for service on the room. Thats a joke! The same glasses we had from the first night were there on our 3rd day, not to mention the "cerimic floor tile" we were servered on the first day was still there when we left. Yes they servered us a few crackers, cheese, 1 strawberry, a few nuts, 7 grapes, 4 olives, and 1/2 a teas. of jelly all directly on a cerimic floor tile that you would buy at Lowes. I would not want to stay in this facility again nor do I recommend it to anyone. The owner showed no concern for our troubles & offered us nothing. It is so sad to know that my husband risks his life for our freedoms here in the United States only to return home to this. It was kinda like a slap in the face. Over all we had paid over $700 for two nights of nothing but frustration and one dinner. This weekend was to help my husband relax, insted he encountered even more stress. Being away in the conditions he was in he really needed this weekend. I could have booked a room anywhere but decided to go to a higher end facility to ensure that we have no problems. Now I see that we would have been better off staying at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Layla83
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Erlowest

Reviewed 16 February 2010

My husband and I booked an overnight for Valentines' Day. When I made the reservation I was given combined price for the room, dinner and breakfast. I thought I was all set. When I received my confirming email it split the charges between the room and the Valentine dinner. The dinner cost more than the room..$290.00. Anyway we decided that was fine and we looked forward to our visit. We stayed in the Erlowest Suite. A lovely room but it was the lack of attention to detail that spoiled it. We found a nice selection of cheese and chocolate covered strawberries along with a small bottle of champagne upon entering our room. Unfortunately, the cheese looked liked it had been sitting for awhile and there were no napkins an no knive to slice the cheese. No phone in the room to call and ask for the items so I went downstairs and asked from them. The suite has a very small TV, I noticed others had flat screen, our room did not. There was a large stain on the baseboard near the bed, perhaps someone spilled wine? The lovely light fixture in the bath had two burned out bulbs. The lovely antique furniture was nice but no pulls on the draws made it difficult to manage. We found the bathrobes rolled up in the top of the closet which made them a little uninviting. The wallpaper in the bath near the jacuzzi tub has begun to curl and one of the fancy ceramic handles on the sink fell apart in my hand.
The dinner which was unique but I was disappointed to find out that for $145.00 per person it was a fixed menu and gratutity was not included! I felt for $145.00 I should get to decide what I wanted to eat. There was no mention of the fixed menu when I made the reservation.
Upon returning to our room after dinner the leftover cheese was still on the table along with the empty bottle of champagne. My husband ordered roses for me and they were in our room upon arrival. The cost for 1/2 dozen roses, $50.00 which I guess is reasonable but at dinner each woman received a rose. I couldn't help but wonder if my roses were just an arrangement made with the roses that were given at dinner and probably not worth the $50.00 paid. Upon checkout we asked if any gratutity was included we were told no. So an overnight for Valentine's Day that I thought would cost around $500.00 ( I agree, a littel pricey )with dinner and breakfast cost quite a bit more when you add on gratutity on a $290 dinner and a gratutity for breakfast though you have to guess how much because you have no idea of the cost but they make sure the menu states that gratutity is not included. We left the maid a tip and then found a housekeeping gratutity was on the bill. I doubt I would stay here again but I did appreciate the chance to see the Inn.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lanahn
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My husband and I were looking for a nice night away to celebrate our anniversary. A family member told me about the inn and I looked it up. I couldn't believe what I saw on the internet. If you think it looks beautiful online, let me tell you, It is absolutely spectacular! From the moment we drove up the the minute we left we were in heaven. We arrived to a fire going in the foyer. We were quickly greeted and brough to our room. I had a reservation for the Howe Suite. After getting our luggage, we were greated outside the elevator my the hostess and said they were upgrading us to a different room. We were brought to the erlowest suite. It was magnificent! Huge king size bed, fireplace and a bathroom to die for. We light the fire and enjoyed our complimentary champagne and fruit and cheese. Dinner in the restaurant was 5 star! The waitstaff was very professional. The next mornings breakfast that was included wasn't just muffins and bagels. It was a sit down breakfast that you choose. It ranged from vanilla pancakes to eggs and home made potatoe hash. DELICIOUS!! when we checked out we were given a momento gift. A nice set of glasses from the Erlowest to think of them. I haven't stopped thinking of them. Trying to figure out the next time I can get back up there for longer. It's a sure thing!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My husband suprised me for our 20th Wedding anniversary. It was so nice to getaway for 24 hours. We are from the Albany, NY area and Lake George is a short drive, less than one hour. We were greeting by a lovely gentelmen who escorted us around the building and told us we had the run of the place, sharing it only with one other couple. We were allowed to view an room that had an open door. We stayed in the Erlowest Room and it was so large! Kings size comfortable room, beautifully decorated. Bathroom was to die for! So large and elegant! Dinner was no my favorite, but it the service was good. The chicken didn't taste like much but the beef was excellent. The pumpkin soup was my husband's favorite. Desserts of chocolate molten cake and creme brulee were amazing! We asked for our coffee and dessert to be served in our room and they were very accomodating, making us a large silver tray of coffe and dessert to go. Breakfast was tasty and elegant! The only complaint we really had was the tv in the room was too small to properly view the World Series. To that, I say, who cares!!! Management offered my husband any room he wanted to view the game in and he changed his mind and decided to stay with his wife for the night. Good choice!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We had a very nice time at the Inn at Erlowest/Lake George in general. The property is beautiful and located right on the lake. WE had a great view from our room (Horicon Suite). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and we loved the jacuzzi bath. The bed comforter was a little dated and kept falling off the bed - but it's a minor complaint. The inn was overall very cozy & charming.

The restaurant was incredible - amazing food, if a bit heavy. The sommelier also recommended up incredible wine (not too expensive, either) to go with our food. I am still dreaming about my meal here.

The only reason I am giving it a 4 and not a 5 (the restaurant easily gets a 5) is because It's a small B&B with a small staff, so it's not a full-service place. One day we missed breakfast because we woke up 20 minutes later, and we couldn't get any food on site. Also, I asked the hotel staff for advice on hiking trails in the local area and they didn't seem to know much. Lastly, after exploring the area more, we wished we stayed further away from the town of Lake George (e.g., in the town of Bolton Landing) because it is more quiet and less kitschy.

But the Inn is beautiful and we'd easily go back; if we don't stay there next time, we'll at least eat there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I have just returned home from our second trip to the Erlowest Inn. Our first visit was in October, and we enjoyed in so much we went back. This time we did a chef's tasting table, that was amazing and worth every penny. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is very helpful, and willing to do what ever they can so you enjoy your stay. We just booked a third trip to go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I booked this Inn one month ago for 2 nights. A week before arrival I emailed them to confirm my reservation. They emailed back that I was booked for only one night and that I should call. So, I called and spoke to the lady whom I had booked through and she said it was their fault and to compensate me , she would "upgrade " my second night to a townhouse. When the morning to move came my wife and checked out the town house. It was a moldy, smelly cheapo type of beach house vs the elegant room that I had booked at the castle. A minimal apolgy was offered but no compensation. We got our money back and had to cut our vacation short. I will never return
The room at the castle was beautiful but the A/C could not be turned off or down.
Dinner was pretty good. Breakfast was excellent.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple