“The Best Place in Lake George!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
The Balsam Motel & Cottages
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed 6 January 2009

My boyfriend and I decided at the last minute we wanted to get away for the Columbus day weekend. We were lucky enough to find The Balsam Motel. The owners were extremely friendly and welcoming. Our room was very clean and homey. The Balsam Motel is an amazing place. I guarantee we will be back to stay again at the Balsam!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveslakegeorge

Reviewed 6 October 2008

This is about our 5th stay at the Balsam. We would never stay any where else. George and Sue make you feel that you have known them your whole life! This trip we had the pleasure of meeting their 3 grown children who were as friendly and warm as their Mom and Dad.

Both mornings I wandered out early looking for a cup of coffee and there was George with a pot, which of course he offered, along with conversation and suggestions for the best places to eat, and the best way to get to the garage sale

The gounds of the Motel are beautiful. The cabins are rustic but clean and very cozy.

We will return again and again!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tornese
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The Balsam is definately the best if you want to have the convenience of staying in the Village of Lake George, but yet you want to feel as if you are in a country setting. While there are many many hotels/motels/cottages in the village surrounding this little gem, all the others seem like "concrete jungles" compared to The Balsam.
Beautiful wooded, landscaped grounds with a very nice pool, picnic tables, and grills. We were even able to enjoy making a campfire in a fire pit to roast marshmallows and just kick back and enjoy the evening. We have to agree with all the previous reviews concerning the owners/operators of this motel, George and Suzanne. They are the kind of people that make you feel as if you have been friends with them forever. If there is anything that they are able to do for you, consider it done.
The only negative part of our stay at The Balsam was having to leave. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Dawn B
Reviewed 9 August 2008

We stayed at the Balsam Motel and Cottages July 18-25, 2008, and had a wonderful time! George & Suzanne are the owner/operators of this site, and are on the premises at all times. They take great pride in their little slice of the Adirondacks, and it shows in the lovely plantings and atmosphere of the place.

We had a wonderful cottage complete with a kitchenette, with the true feel of an Adirondack cabin. One wall of native stone, the others of log....we loved it! Please understand, this is a simple place, not a 5 star hotel....but who goes to Lake George for that kind of experience? The cottages are neat and clean and supplied with everything one would need.

The Balsam has a lovely pool, and is only a two minute walk to a lovely little beach, that is not used very much so it is never very crowded...it is lined with a beautiful flower garden....just great!

The location is great, not only so near the lake, but also within walking distance of Lake George Village, which is a big plus as parking is at a premium there. It is also located right next door to the Tamarack Inn, a great place for breakfast, lunch, dinner...looks like a log cabin inside...great food and service!

The Balsam also has outdoor barbeques, picnic tables and tents for shade from the sun. Though right off the main road, it is in a little pine grove which gives the feel of being further out of the Village.

We loved George and Suzanne, they are "real people", who have put a lot of love, pride and hard work into the Balsam. It is a great place for anyone who is looking for a peaceful, clean cottage or room, especially if you have a pet. We will certainly return, we would not go anyplace else in Lake George!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank GailMarie47
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My husband, son and I recently spent three days at the Balsams. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as if we were the only guests at the facility. The owners went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. Every day we were asked if we needed anything. Can yoiu imagine that? I do not recall ever being asked in a hotel/motel environment if we needed anything. Both owners were exceptionally friendly and very helpful with tips about the local area.

The facility was very clean and well kept. My husband, who can be quite anal about neatness and cleanliness, commented that the owners were more meticulous than he was. Believe me, that is quite a complement! Additionally, the facility stands apart from the area motels because of its grounds. You feel that you are in a country setting with the beatiful trees, landscaping and barbecue equipment.

At the same time, you are minutes away from the prettiest beach. The flowers in the entry way to the beach are spectacular. Also, you can walk to some excellent restaurants. My husband and I look forward to another week end getaway at a great facility!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank LoverOfLeisure
Reviewed 19 June 2008

The other reviews are sort of correct: the property is clean (a bit dusty, the blind were filthy) and convenient but I have a problem with how they conduct business. After calling 2 times and leaving a message during the winter to leave a deposit, the third call I spoke with someone who said "well we got your messages and figured you were coming so did not need the deposit" This should have been my first clue. I gave my deposit and informed them that we would be cutting our stay from 5 nights to 3. Keep in mind this is in early March for a June stay. Upon arrival we were told that we were a day late and we were still booked for 4 more nights (5 total.) I mentioned the conversation we had months ago and was told "well there are no notes here in the book so there is nothing I can do" After discussing the difficulties of being a small business owner and the nastiness of an adjustable rate mortgage gone bad I offered a solution, pay for 4 nights even if I was staying only 3 (perhaps being overly sympathetic to the plight.) In retrospect I should have stuck to my guns and either paid for 3 or left immediately. It was a family vacation so I wanted to stay near my nephews. The next day I went to pay and was told that I would have to pay for 5 nights and they would see if they could sell the other night. This is after we agreed to a 4 night payment and a 3 night stay. I am not pleased and feel I should not suffer financial due to a bad mortgage decision and their need to pay bills. I clearly canceled 2 of my five nights long in advance and because of their lack of writing something simple down or forgetting I am penalized. Did it ruin my trip: NO but I will never again stay at that place and would never suggest it to anyone. I may raise the issue with the Better Business Bureau as I do not believe they listened nor cared about anything but their mortgage problems. Just because you are a nice person does not give you the right to take advantage of someone, especially if you go out of your way to offer a mutually beneficial solution when it was not your fault to begin with.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank aefor
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stay at the Balsam nearly every year for the Americade Rally.
George & Suzanne are great hosts who go out of their way to help
ensure you have a nice experience. I had the unfortunate luck of
a bike/deer accident. They let it be known that they would help in
any way possible. George took me up to the market for groceries
for the cabin. The Balsam is a shady and relatively quiet spot in
the town of Lake George. Most restaurants and stores in easy
walking distance. We hope to be back again next June. The rooms
and cabins are rustic but are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends