“Good view but management is horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sun Castle Resort

Sun Castle Resort
Ranked #24 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good view but management is horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

So we came here a week ago and we are leaving tomorrow and its about time to write this review, the resort has a nice view to the lake, property is better than expected, nice size town homes and villas, BUT, the management and service is HORRIBLE, and I am serious, the first concern was the staff, they didn't clean our rooms, on,y one thing they did is gave us some towels and nothing else. Second thing is our friends' fridge got broken, and they asked for second one, couple hours later it got broken once again, basically their hardware is very cheap and poor maintained. The third is, I got really pissed off, is about the manager o_O, yeah right "the property manger who is disorganized, delusional, uneducated, doesn't know what is a costumer service is, she needs education before getting this job title. We were grilling on the gas grill, we removed the gas tank from this cheapest grill you can ever buy, and we put charcoal and some wood pieces inside the grill, and we started cooking steaks, so she comes to us, she was rude to us and didn't follow the job customer service policy again she was rude, dis respective while talking to us about cooking on that grill, she said its wrong and cooking on a gas grill steaks is wrong, we removed the gas tank and she still was rude to us, she is stupid, overall it's a disorganized service that needs majority of improvements. If you ever want to stay here, my advice to you is to save your money and choose the hotel that is right next to it, they got better amenities and a nice restaurant right on the lake, forget about this one, not even a Four Star Resort, that's nonsense!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael A
zoopo, Manager at Sun Castle Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for your comments. Our staff is committed to excellent customer service. It is New York State law that if we provide any room service, we must charge sales tax. Most of our guests choose the towel exchange service only to save the 11% sales tax. We do have both options available to our guests.

Although maintenance issues do happen from time to time, we quickly address all issues.

The safety of all our guests is the highest priority. Our insurance policy holder along with the fire department consider our gas grills, purchased new each july, to be the safest option for grilling.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Derby, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Does anyone know that Real Housewives of New Jersey filmed an episode on this property? Well, I am sure that the Bravo Network did quite a bit of research before hand and found out that this is the best property on Lake George.

My husband and I returned to Sun Castle July 13th to 18th. Every time we go it is like going home (except better). We have stayed in one of the villas in the past but, last year we had the opportunity to move to one of the townhouses. The town house that we stayed in this year was even better than the one last year. The extreme positive about Sun Castle is that just about every town house and, villa have a direct lake view. Vacationers need to appreciate this and, to keep the memories going when they return home. I have read some less than positive reviews of the villas. I think that what trip advisor readers do not know are about the families that return to this resort after 20+ years and, stay in the villas. We see the same groups of people every year since we started staying at Sun Castle in 2005. They can say nothing but great things.

The other new addition this year was a 2nd beach. No, the beaches are not large but, how many properties have 2 beaches? The new beach is great. Smooth sand and, no rocks. A good diversion from sitting by the pool. We usually sit at the pool. This year we were at the beach every day enjoying the lake.

Next, the housekeeping and, maintenance staff is outstanding. Mary and her crew will take care of anything that you need and go the extra mile and, this includes Shannon who is in a class by himself. Maybe he can be the next Iron Man!!!

Lastly, I cannot forget my soul mate Debbie who runs the office and, manages things throughout the resort. Debbie, I would be remiss if I did not tell you what an excellent job you do. You will never know how much I appreciate everything. This goes for anyone that is thinking of and/or going to this resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simone C
zoopo, Manager at Sun Castle Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we certainly value your input. We look forward to your return, see you next summer!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My family just returned from a very enjoyable week at Suncastle. Debbie and her staff were courteous and very attentive to any if our needs. The location is perfect. Beaches are small, but not rocky. The Monday night BBQ was a nice addition. The villa was clean. Each room had a tv. Furniture was dated, but fine for a rustic getaway with young kids. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed in one of the villas for one week. The villas have a nice layout with large windows facing the water and a huge deck and great views. As mentioned by others the furniture of the villas is quite old and outdated (one lamp not working, loose tiles in the bathroom, ...) but the beds have been comfy so we didn't care much. We only had tiny fridge (dorm room type size) which was quite annoying, just not enough space to store the food for four people!
Towel service did not work only after calling twice!
The front desk staff for the villas and townhouses was unfriendly and kind of rude.
Our biggest problem were the docks. They are old and not well taken care of and there are constantly waves coming in because of all the boat traffic on the lake. If you have a larger boat you will get the docking space facing the lake and the waves will constantly rock your boat and push it against the dock. So you need to bring lots of fenders or you can forget it.

The storage area for the kayaks and row boat war really filthy.

In general, this place appears run down. This would not be an issue for us because it is still a nice location but for the price we paid you have to expect more. The more accurate rating would be 2.5 but lets round up.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank rennsemmi
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed in one of the villas the week of June 9, 2013. Generally, the villa was in a state of disrepair:

- Dated furniture and stained carpeting.
- Screen door was not closing properly - scraped the deck preventing it from closing
- Entrance steps flooded when it rained causing us to get our shoes drenched. To maintenance's credit they came out to dig a trench to relieve water backup.
- Bedroom light bulb burned out (was replaced by maintenance with another CFL but replacement bulb was also malfunctioning - we gave up)
- Outdoor gas grill was never cleaned - still had burned food on bottom of grill - really disgusting

Towel service was poor. We were given specific Instructions to leave towels on front porch which would be picked up daily between 10 am and 1 pm. Never picked up. Had to call to get service.

Wi-Fi was atrocious. Did not work well at all as it suffered from slow speeds and constant disconnects. We had to go to Glens Falls Verizon store and purchase a Jet pack added to my cell phone plan to get internet service.

General hint to those thinking of vacationing in Lake George - This in not Nevada or Southern California where the weather is generally not a concern and booking months in advance is a "safe" bet. Your experience is going to be totally dependent on the weather. Except for quick showers, rain will spoil your vacation as there is practically nothing to do indoors in Lake George or surrounding areas. Therefore, I would not book in advance hoping to catch a streak of good weather. Play it safe and book only when the forecast is good for your time there. You'll pay more for last minute bookings but it beats being rained out for several days as happened to us. It rained 4 out of 5 days the week we were there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeTweed
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed in the townhouses for the second year in a row and had just as good an experience as the first time around. We have also stayed at the Inn at various times of the year and love the ambiance, service and food. We celebrated my 50th birthday dinner at the inn and were treated to the private dining room for six of us...and this on very short notice. Food was some of the best we have had, anywhere, so just be sure to make your reservations for dinner ahead of time just as you would for any upscale restaurant in high demand and there should be no problem. Also, we rented dock space for our boat...be sure to bring bumpers...you will need them as the Horicon and Mohican create large waves as they pass by on their tours of significant properties all day. We have always found the staff responsive to our requests and our townhouses have always been immaculate. Since we were there last August (2012) around the same time as some of the other folks, not sure why their experiences differed so much.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I had a terrible experience trying to make reservations here for my wedding. When I originally booked my wedding in the area, I was told by the reservations manager, Debbie Regan, that she could reserve as many townhomes or villas as needed for my wedding guests--and to simply let her know when we had more information. She provided me with all of the prices and information to secure reservations, all of which I typed up and entered into our wedding website. When I tried to contact her two months later to secure the townhomes and villas (10 months before the wedding), I was told she no longer worked there and I was informed that the entire property was placed on hold due to an event the owner was holding the same weekend. I asked when the hold would be released and if I would still be able to reserve rooms there, and was told they did not know, but that I would come second to the other guests. As a bride-to-be, it was incredibly frustrating to be told they would accommodate me one month and then tell me I'm no longer a priority the next month. I was then encouraged to reserve rooms at the business owner's other property, which is a fairly run-down motel in town. We had several family members and friends coming from out of state--some in the military coming from other countries-- and the last thing we wanted was to be pushed to the other (and frankly, cheaper) property. Why would I support the business of someone who disregarded my prior request and placed me on the back burner with no notice? As a result, I had to start from scratch and find a completely different property (which has been wonderfully accommodating). If you're a bride-to-be who does NOT want to be a priority, this is the spot for you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple