“Breathtaking views!”

Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
New York City, New York
“Breathtaking views!”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

My friend and I wanted to getaway for the holiday weekend and I found Sun Castle online. Debbie Regan, the manager made sure everything was perfect ,down to flowers my friend ordered to have in the room before we got there. The villa itself was adorable and very homelike but the views from our porch were unbelievable. We were ON the water and we could sit and listen to the water breaking under us. The villa was incredibly clean and had everything we needed down to coffee filters!
We are already planing our next visit!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We've been staying here for years and each year it gets progressively worse. Definitely the last year here. When the townhouses were new, they were decent, but now they are approaching budget motel status.

They are old and dated. They simply do not update or maintain them. Windows were broken and AC note working when we arrived. Within a couple hours they were fixed.

A few things to note.
-If you want to go to sleep before 1am on the weekends look elsewhere. They have weddings which a obviously big money for the inn, but bad news for the people who spend $400 a night to relax.
-They no longer service the units daily, so you are expected to use your towels for as long as you plan to stay.
-The place is simply dingy. Mold in the showers, stains on all the furniture, etc. Everything you would expect in a budget motel.

Look next door for newer and more well kept accomidations. I would rather spend a couple extra bucks than waste $400 a night at this place.

• Stayed September 2010
6 Thank A2TB
New Jersey
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I just wanted to say that my husband, daughter and I stayed along with another family last month and we all loved it. The townhouses were so clean. I am very picky and would recomment this place to anyone looking for a nice quiet relaxing vacation. The staff is very friendly and helpful too. I look forward to going back next summer!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank djsNewJersey
NEW HAVEN
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to a wedding at the Inn at Erlowest. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Sun Castle Resort's Villa #1 (owned and operated by Inn at Erlowest's proprietor). The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked.

The food was very good at the inn.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank ruffmo
NEW HAVEN
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to the Inn at Erlowest for a wedding. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Villa #1. The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked. ¶ The place is putting all of it’s money into its wedding business and recently added 2 large ballrooms to the inn. We were wedding guests and were in an awful “villa” without a full length mirror and with a very rocky incline to the inn (not conducive to wearing high heels). ¶ The service was sad. The employees had no personality and not once were we asked if we were enjoying our stay. Check-in was negative and awkward. ¶ The food was very good. ¶ I finally got the proprietor on the phone after our stay. While I kept my cool, she was rude and disinterested in my comments about the villa – and actually hung up on me. Among many jaw-dropping comments she made, she did explain if I had contacted her Friday night about the condition of the villa they would have offered me a different room – for more money – or suggested we leave.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank ruffmo
PA
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We recently stayed at the Sun Castle Resort in a townhome. I was a little reluctant to pay $3400 for a 2 BR for a week but I did anyway. First the positives- The view was awesome. It was very close to everything and on the trolley route. The home was beautifully decorated.
Now for the negative

When we arrived it looked like the unit had not been cleaned completely. There was dirt and hair on one of the bedsheets. The one pillow had black hair on it and (this is disgusting!!) but the sofa sleeper sheet had old bloodstains on it. In addition, 1/2 of the light bulbs were burnt out and the smoke detector in the LR was missing.

We called management and they did send someone over right away to replace the bulbs but we were told that they would have to order a smoke detector. Imagine our surprise when they happen to quickly find one when we threatened to call and report them for safety code violations.

The lady in charge of housekeeping personally came to the unit and apologized profusely for the poor cleaning service. She had the maids come back and remake all the beds. During our stay we saw her several times and she made it a point to check in w/ us almost daily to see if we needed anything.

During the beginning of our trip we went to the gameroom as they advertised a pool table and other things for the kids. When we walked in it looked like a tornado had gone through there.

Trash was all over the tables and floor and the ping pong table and paddles looked like some woodeating animals devoured them. The paddles were broken and the ping pong table had exposed wood on one whole section. There were old bottles and plates and trash on the floor and all over. We left and mentioned something to the lady in charge of housekeeping when we saw her. She said that staff cleans it "when it needs it." She promised she would send someone over to clean it. A few days later when we returned it was the same and nothing had been touched.

While we were in LG, we checked out some other resorts for future visits. There were quite a few that were a lot less expensive and were much nicer and CLEANER> Honestly, I don't expect to pay $3400 to walk into a townhome where the sheets are stained w/ blood and covered in hair and 1/2 of the lightbulbs are burnt out and the smoke detector is missing. BEWARE

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Poor maid service/ poor rating for cleanliness (blood/hair on sheets),
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank PAtravelinmomma
Vermont
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We had planned a family vacation at Lake George at a resort recommended by a friend of the family. I booked two adjoining condos (there are eleven of us) in February for a week in July at The Quarters at Lake George. When I arrived to check in, they had only one condo reserved for us and at that late date, of course, they had nothing else available. I was understandably distraught, but felt I had only myself to blame as I had not looked at the confirmation they sent. I know I had booked two condos on the phone. The person at registration was unsympathetic about my dilemma and less than helpful. I asked if she could recommend another similar resort or if she could call an Inn across the street to see if they had any availability. She offered no assistance what so ever. I would lose my $1400 deposit and even if my condo were to be rented to someone else, I would get nothing back.

I called members of my family who were to arrive the following day to tell them the sad news. I had my car packed with coolers of food for the week and was facing the prospect of returning back to Vermont and canceling our whole vacation. In the meantime, my daughter-in-law looked online and found another resort, Sun Castle, just up the road. She called and found they had two adjacent condos available. Cheryl, the proprietor, was so wonderful. She was totally understanding of our situation and even gave us a discount for late booking. In fact, she was surprised the Quarters hadn't offered to call her as resort owners often help each other out.

Even though the Sun Castle was slightly more expensive, the difference was well worth it. The 2-bedroom condos were large and very nicely furnished. There were two adjoining covered decks off the living room and upstairs bedroom overlooking the lake. The kitchen was large with a roomy breakfast bar and a large dining table. All eleven of us were able to eat together. The property is well-maintained with lots of grassy areas, flowers, and walking paths. There is even an old stone mansion which operates as a bed and breakfast and serves lunch and dinner on the porch. Gas grills were provided for each unit, linens, towels, paper towels, toilet paper, dishwashing soaps, trash bags were all replaced when needed. After checking out, we realized some clothing had been left behind. Cheryl packed it up and sent it to us at no charge.

As you can see our worst nightmare turned out to be a fabulous family vacation, thanks to the Sun Castle Resort at Lake George.

• Liked — Roomy, clean, free Internet, lakeview
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank VermontNanzie