“just average”

Ranked #29 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
york, me
“just average”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I recently stayed at the Mohican at the recommendation of a friend. I was a little surprised at to how outdated the rooms were. Curtains, bedspread, lighting fixtures look like they all date back to the 80's. We had a table in our standard room but there was no room for it. it was pushed up against the foot of the bed and in front of the ac. No water pressure in the shower because there is no real shower head. No shampoo or lotion. While I was checking out another guest came to the office asking for shampoo and they gave it to him. No hairdryer. I found the mattress very hard but my husband did not. The maid service was very slow. We would leave our room mid morning and return 2-3 hours later and our room was not cleaned, and this was with the sign on the door asking for the room to be cleaned. You could also hear the traffic on the main road. The best part about the room is that it was clean. Maybe a little dust on the fake flower arrangement on the wall but overall clean.

However, we ran into car trouble and the owner extremely helpful with our problem.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cc0525

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Waldoboro
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We traveled with a toddler and gave the Mohican a try. We were very pleased with their "condo" that has a King size bed upstairs, queen down stairs. Excellent place for children, two pools plus a wading pool. Plenty of room for kids to run and play. Attentive staff, clean rooms. Mattresses are a bit tired and some uncomfortable but we will return

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Just returned from a three-day stay with 26 family members ranging in age from infant to 93! This was our first (but definitely not our last) visit to the Mohican. All of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our accomodations ranged from standard rooms with 2 queen beds, to family condo's and efficiency units. Not one complaint from any member of our group. Facilities were spotless, grounds, pools, game room and playground met and in most instances, exceeded our expectations. The lovely folks that run the Mohecan couldn't be more efficient, helpful or accomodating. The ladies in charge of housekeeping were a delight and as we used the picnic areas and BBQ's at the back of each efficiency daily for breakfasts and one evening for a family BBQ, these folks went out of their way to make sure our trash was disposed of promptly and our rooms cleaned and stocked with fresh supplies.
We thank the management of this fine motel for their hospitality and look forward to spending another family reunion with them again next summer.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Kahuna'sWife
dianeNY2
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We just returned from Lake George. After a horrible night at The Georgian, we were able to aquire last minute reservations at the Mohigan. For the same price as Georgians so called resort, we had a private bedroom for my husband and myself. A queen bed and a pullout sofa in the living room. A kitchen with fridge, oven, microwave. There were enough dishes and utensils to make a meal and stay in to eat (although we did not). Coffe and tea were available in the lobby. As were pool towels.
The rooms were small , but very clean and updated. Most units were on ground level. AC's worked well. and I liked having a front exit as well as a back door from the bedroom which had a picnic table and BBQ for each family.
The best part was the indoor pool, the motel is small enough that it seemed like a private pool for our family (and it was fully booked for our whole stay) The indoor pool was large, the best I have ever seen,with a nice jacuzzi. It had an attached game room with a pool table, and was located so I did not have to worry about my children at all. The outdoor pool was just as nice.
The staff was helpful and friendly. The location was right between Great adventure and the lake. and near food options not located on the strip.(which were very pricey restaurants).
Now for the downside, No, it does not have a view of the lake. (but neither did our very expensive mistake at the Georgian, unless you walked a confusing blocks distance) The mountains were very nice to wake up to. If we did not have the AC's on I think the traffic noise may have kept me awake.
Overall the motel was so nice we decided to stay an extra day. Hope this review helps someone make a decision as there are endless amounts of lodging and choices.

3 Thank dianeNY2
western ny
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We just returned from a trip to Lake George. We rented a 2 bedroom at this motel purely from the reviews and the location. It was a it pricey for what we got. The staff was pleasant so no complaints there. Internet was difficult to obtain unless we took our laptops outside the office by the pool. I guess my only real complaint was the speed of the cleaning staff. We left eery morning for outing , returning around 2-3 pm and our room did not receive maid service yet. We stayed a total of 3 days and our rooms were not cleaned due to the fact that we liked to rest before nighttime activities. I would definetly look for something on the Lake . I wished that I did

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I have been going up to Lake George for decades...since I was a kid. I've seen many changes in the area, from a quiet little village on the lake to a full-blown tourist trap. For several years now we have stayed at the Mohican on our trips to Lake George. The rooms and grounds are always spotless and the staff pleasant. There's something comforting about going somewhere that doesn't change all that much. However, after many many years, it does become time to upgrade the rooms with better furniture, working air conditioners, and mattresses that don't ruin your back.

I haven't been to Lake George in about seven years, so you can imagine my surprise when I checked in to find that the rooms looked EXACTLY THE SAME as the last time I was there (and the time before that and the time before that....). It's no longer charming or quaint, especially at $185 per night.

Pros
Very nice pools both indoor and out. The indoor pool and jacuzzi have been completely redone.
Game room for the kids.
Clean rooms and clean grounds.
Good location close to many attractions, the village and the lake itself.

Cons
No extras in the room like shampoo or hair dryers.
Furniture needs to be updated.
Mattresses need to be replaced.
Air conditioners need to be replaced.
Low-flow showers made showering unpleasant.
PRICE....too expensive for what you get.

Lake George is a great place to visit, but I'd stay elsewhere to get your money's worth. The rooms are simply not worth $185 per night.

1 Thank Todnick
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Bottom line, not worth the money.

Our family loves Lake George, vacationing several times a year. Our one big complaint is the quality of the hotels. Most have not changed since 1973, (except for the prices). At the Mohican we paid $180 a night for an old room with mattress that felt like it was stuffed with popcorn. The rug is red and old as is the furniture. The place is somewhat clean but old and worn. The room is basic, no hairdryer, a small frig that does not work, in the wall A/C that causes extremes (freezing-to hot) in room temperature.

What infuriated us was the brand new beautiful “Clarion” next door (the same owners), that went for the same price ($180 a night,). We found out an hour after checking into the Mohican, I tried checking out and into the Clarion but that did not work.

That is a big issue in Lake George, paying top prices for old beat up hotels. (We stayed at the “Georgian” early this summer for $200 a night, another rip off). Several new chains have opened up next to older hotels. I highly recommend the Quality Inn, Wingate, Clarion, Hampton Inn over some of the “older dives”.

If the price was $89 a night the Mohican would be fine, an old nostalgic Lake George family motel. The outdoor pool was good, a nice indoor pool and game room for the kids. The location is outside of the village but around other sites such as “The Great Escape”, outlets etc. Again, our family loves Lake George and will continue to return, I am just tired of paying top money for low quality

• Liked — Nice pools and grounds, near everything
  • Disliked — Old rooms and high price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)