“Nice rooms”
Review of Sundowner Motel

Sundowner Motel
Ranked #45 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed the first 2 nights of our Lake George vacation at the Sundowner. When I called to make the reservation, I was told we had to get 2 rooms for our 6 people. It really didn't make sense because the rooms were a good size and big enough for all of us with room to spare, but, ok. The rooms were clean and smelled good. The bathrooms were spacious. The view from our room couldn't be beat and you can see the fireworks from the beach, which was great. My only complaint was with the hot tub. Watch the step going in! It is deep! I about fell in! The drop was bad. Other than that, our stay was good and the view was great.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank HillarytheTraveler
There are newer reviews for Sundowner Motel

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a co worker. We were initially just going through the states on a road trip and were going to end up in Maine on the coast somewhere. We stopped at the Sundowner and were going to spend just two nights there initially, but after the first day we liked the area and decided to spend the rest if the eek there. We had a king room across from the pool which made it nice and easy access for both the pool and the beach. The water in both was excellent, clean and warm. The rooms were a little dated, but everything was clean and comfortable. It was nice having the fridge so we could always have cold drinks and put some food in. They had bbqs for anyone to use and some did. It was nice not having to go to a restaurant if you did not want to. The motel was within easy walking distance to the downtown even in the extreme heat,

The only draw backs were not having a microwave in the room, the ice machine was way up at the entrance of the motel and the A/C would not shut down once the room was down to temperature. My wife found the noise of the fan annoying when trying to sleep, we were there during the heat wave so turning it off was not an option.

Overall I would say I will definitely be using this hotel as a stopping point in the future when we go on our road trips east. This hotel is made for couples, families or groups. I don't like noise and even with all the families there I had a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: If possible, definitely try to get a room down by the pool/beach. It's not real noisy during the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First, the positives: The room was dated, but big and clean, the beds were comfortable, there was a little fridge in the room, which was handy, and there were plenty of towels. The staff was friendly and helpful and seemed almost obsessive about keeping the pool and private beach area clean, there was a terrific view of the lake from our balcony, and this motel is in a GREAT location.

You'll read all about these things in the 5 star reviews. Those people are not making it up. But I am pretty sure that all of those people smoke. They don't smoke in their rooms, which are in fact non-smoking, but they smoke on the beach, at the pool, in the parking lot, and on the chairs right outside their rooms. They leave the butts floating in cups or bottles on the little tables outside the doors. All fine, I guess, if you smoke or for some bizarre reason, just really love the smell of cigarettes.

If you don't smoke, however, this is most definitely NOT the place for you. The only way to avoid second hand smoke at the Sundowner is to remain in your room with the door and windows closed. Needless to say, for us non-smokers hanging out on a beautiful lake on a hot summer day with our non-smoking kids, this was not optimal. Soooo....

Instead of sticking around enjoying the pool or the beach, we "ran the Marlboro gauntlet" (as my husband termed it) from our room to the road and we spent all our time elsewhere.

To sum up: If you smoke, or love smoke, or want to start smoking, or want to breathe smoke without having to actually buy cigarettes, this is the place for you.

If you don't, there is an absolutely lovely looking place that you can see from the balcony of the Sundowner on the beach end. It's called the Shore Meadows Lodge. We stopped by on our way out and I spoke to the owner, who told me that they do not allow smoking anywhere on the property. Next time we visit Lake George, we'll stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ChrisWesternMA
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

We do not live too far from Lake George and wanted to take our kids up there for a night away to celebrate the start of summer. After checking out some of the websites of local motels/ hotels, we decided to take a look for ourselves and not reserve ahead. So glad we chose to do that! After seeing some other places that looked great on their websites but not so much in person, we decided on the Sundowner. Located in the Northern End of the village, we could walk to everything! The entire property, the rooms, pools and beach area are pristine. The business is family owned and operated and we enjoyed talking with the owners. After looking at both the standard rooms and lakeside rooms, we chose the lakeside with two queens ( our kids were so excited about the pool being right there!). Both options were very clean, comfortable and up to date as far as style and
amenities. Our room was spacious and for the price, we couldn't pass it up! This is by far one of the cleanest resorts I have ever visited- including high-end chain hotels. The owners are constantly making updates to the property and keep it in very good condition. I can't say enough about our stay- we will be back in the fall. My husband and I would love to stay in the lake view private balcony room!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank KAS2880
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Checked in and the staff suggested we look at room 228 since we were on our anniversary trip and we did take it because it had a private balcony overlooking the lake. The room is spacous, spotless and well appointed. The staff seems very nice one guest said he and his family have been coming here for more than 10 years. The motel has free kayaking and canoeing for guests. The only issues are there is no on property breakfast and the parking is tight, but managable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I love the Sundowner. Very friendly staff and wonderful rooms. Always my first choice of stay in Lake George. Great beach and nice pool. Great location. Just far enough outside of the village while still being in the village. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Cborie77
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Have stayed at the Sundowner for the past 3 years when coming up for the Warrensburg Garage Sale and Flea Market. This place is great. !! The owners are so friendly and helpful...the rooms are roomy and comfortable, location is so convenient. It is located at the end of the "strip" so it is very quiet, but it close enough to walk to and from the village. Have met lots of nice friendly people while staying there, too. And their prices are SO reasonable...what more can you ask for ?? Already have my reservation for October...can't wait.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends