“Another great stay at Sundowner”
Review of Sundowner Motel

Sundowner Motel
Ranked #43 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed 17 October 2013

After the Oktoberfest of last year, I wrote about this place. It only gets better. We have stayed here a number of times and have never been disappointed. So much so that we have contacted my sister-in-law in North Carolina about a family reunion next year here at the Sundowner. Only this time it will be with our kids and their spouses and children and her whole family. This place never disappoints and the owners are very willing to answer any question you may have or just shoot the breeze with you. Much better than any big hotel chain. I like the "Mom & Pop" style that Sundowner has. No big chain "get them in & get them out", type of business, but a nice casual relaxed atmosphere, to start a relaxing vacation. We will always come back to Sundowner as long as it remains this way.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane O

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Had another great stay at Sundowner this past weekend while going to Warrensburg Garage sale. Stayed with five friends and had the efficiency apt with 2 double beds and full bath on one side and the LR with pullout couch ,kitchen table and chairs and half bath on the other. The kitchen is fully equipped and the place is spotless. Great location at a great price. Owners are onsite and very helpful. Only thing I would comment on is newer and bigger towels. I am a lover of nice linens and this would be the icing on the cake !!! :):)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cindyd56
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights recently. Room was comfortable. Bathroom looked freshly painted and new sink. Knotty pine on the walls of the bedroom. Bed was very comfortable. Baseboard heat which worked wonderfully on the cool nights. Has air conditioning if needed. Chairs provided on the porch outside the cabin for enjoying the mountain air. Flat screen TV with plenty of channels if you get stuck inside due to the weather or just need to rest from all the shopping in the Village. Friendly front desk staff and housekeeper. My only faults with the room are the small refrigerator which sat on the floor. Would be better if it was sitting up on a table. Also, no indication of where the ice machine was located. Would stay here again. Budget priced, but a good value.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the lake, be sure to ask for one as not all rooms have a lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We originally booked 2 nights over the Labor Day weekend but we were enjoying ourselves so much that we booked another night and stayed a total of 3.

It was our first time in the Lake George area so I booked this hotel solely based on reading the reviews here on TA. We booked the lakefront king room #228.

The room was very large as was the deck overlooking the lake. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was large with 2 sinks, the tile work looked new and shiny. There was plenty of drawer space and a good sized closet, a desk and chair, a couch, coffee table, small dining table and 2 chairs, small refrigerator and a bit "dated" television set. The deck had 2 lounge chairs and 2 adirondack style chairs.

The room does not have an iron, ironing board or coffee maker. (see below "tip")

My only complaint and it's a small one....the towels are SO thin and undersized. I asked Heather our room attendant to leave some extra towels and she did, which helped. An upgrade on the towels is definitely needed.

The heated pool was wonderful as was the hot tub (be careful stepping down into it...the step is steep) We took advantage of the free kayaks and had a great time out on the beautiful lake.

The family that runs the hotel are all very friendly and we felt like we got to know them a little better by the end of our 3 day stay.

We were there Labor Day weekend....Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and from Monday (labor day) evening on we pretty much had the entire hotel to ourselves....at least it felt that way. Lake George was very busy on Sunday but most people left by Monday afternoon.

The location of this hotel is great and within a 5 to 10 minute walk to all of the shops and restaurants. I like that it's at the end of the strip a little bit away from all of the hustle and bustle.

We will definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting the area for the first time. You can read my many other reviews on here and know that I try to give an honest and fair review of each property that we've stayed at.

I am very picky about cleanliness and you can rest assured that if I say this place is spotless....I mean it. Our room attendant Heather did a great job keeping our room clean!

Oh....one final "tip"....we brought along a small 5 cup Mr Coffee because the room did not have a coffee pot (although they do serve free coffee in the lobby each morning) I like to make my own and sit on the deck in the morning with a nice cup or 2 of fresh coffee.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and book the lakefront room...you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkelly27
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Second year staying there. Nice motel maintained by the family. Cleaner than most motels. You always see the maintenance guy, Eric, and owner cleaning up. Eric was also very nice and helpful with nearby attractions and restaurants. Heated pool and jacuzzi a plus. Will be back again next year. It's now a family tradition :-D

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a great time at the sundowner! The room was very clean! Location was great too! A short walk into town. We used their free kayak's twice! The pool was nice too. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I first stayed at the Sundowner Motel in June 2013, out of season, and it was nice and quiet & relaxing. I returned once again in August and got a bigger room with a view of the lake in season and just $112 for the night. Best rate for right on the lake. It has a private beach, grassy area with picnic tables and bbqs, a heated pool, hot tub & kiddie pool. You can also use their kayaks and canoes on the lake for free. The rooms are nice, clean and well maintained. It's a perfect location because it is on the main street but just north of all the activity so peaceful sleeping. The traffic during peak season is non-stop and very hectic so it was great to be able to park my car at the Motel and walk to all attractions. Upon check out at 11am, I asked if I could leave my car in my parking space so I could shop before departing and was told that would be fine as long as I was gone by check in time of 2pm. So that was very nice of them to allow me to do that! I would recommend staying there. I am hoping to return next summer and I'll be sure to stay at the Sundowner.

Room Tip: Rooms 201 & up are little log cabin rooms with private decks & closest to the pool & bea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo