“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
San Diego, United States
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This was far and away the best of the 4 hotels we stayed at in our week of traveling. The room decor and the breakfast were outstanding. The staff was helpful and courteous. I can't think of any negatives other than the noisy bathroom fan that ran whenever you turned on the light. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

SamLuciano, General Manager at BEST WESTERN of Lake George, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Hedy P,
Thank you for advising other Trip Advisor patrons of your stay with us. In regards to your comments on “Great Hotel”, we appreciate your kind words.
Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. It is always nice to hear that our efforts are not only noticed, but appreciated.
We hope to host you again.
Again, thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.
Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

If I could give this property 3.5 stars I probably would, but 3 it is.

We stayed here for one night to attend a function elsewhere in Lake George. We ended up booking last minute-ish, probably 3 or so weeks out, which, combined with the minimum stay requirements at many properties left us with few affordable options. Although the Best Western was perfectly adequate, it was not worth the $190+ we paid for it. We wound up in this annex building on the left of the property that is detatched from the main hotel and has outdoor entry rooms as opposed to the indoor entry rooms of the main hotel. This was perfectly fine for us as it allowed for very convenient access to the parking lot. Now for the rundown:

The Good:
-The location was fine. On the outskirts of Lake George it was an easy drive anywhere we wanted to go in any direction. There's also a mini-golf place right next door that you could conceivably walk to if you're feeling a little brave (steep incline down from hotel). No complaints there.
-The staff we encountered were universally friendly and helpful.
-Clean looking / feeling duvet bedding.
-Good water pressure from the shower and ventillation in the bathroom
-Free breakfast was adequate and exactly what you'd expect (powdered eggs, microwave sausage, make your own waffles). One complaint was they didn't have any water available! Granted I didn't ask, but there should always be water available, either in a pitcher or through one of the drink machines. Coffee was of the gross instant, but I can't fault them for that at a free hotel breakfast.
-Safe and empty mini-fridge available in the room, both very useful.
-Some evidence of recent renovation*

The Bad:
-We were in our room for about 5 minutes when we were convinced that our upstairs neighbors must be Eddy the Elephant and Ruby the Rhino. STOMP STOMP STOMP. Later, we came to realize that they were just normal people who had the audacity to walk normally around their hotel room. The issue wasn't them, it was the building and its exceptionally poor soundproofing. Just walking around above us made a tremendous amount of noise. I can see how this could be a problem if the people above you are night owls (fortunately they weren't) and if you're a light sleeper (fortunately I'm not).
-If you've stayed in a lot of mid-scale hotels as I have you're familiar by now with the continuing saga of the huge noisy AC / heat unit that invariably lives below the main outdoor window. Our room at the Best Western Lake George was no exception. This beast was particularly moody and fired up / shut off loudly intermittantly throughout the night. Again, I'm not a light sleeper so it didn't bother me, but if you are it probably will.
-*Above I noted the evidence of recent renovation. Unfortunately, they only half renovated. They clearly updated bedding, lighting, and bathrooms, but inexplicably put the same old crappy furniture right back in the rooms! Sure, it probably saved them a lot money and it didn't adversely impact my stay in any meaningful way, but the room would have looked a lot nicer and less dated had they gone ahead and modernized the furniture. Cheap move.

Bottom line: would I stay here again? Sure, it was perfectly adequate for our needs and if the stars aligned I'd return. However, the property wouldn't be one of my top choices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DaveM1985
Dear DaveM 1985,
Re: comments-Perfectly Adequate, etc…
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, good and bad, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests.
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like we fell short. I will certainly bring your comments and concerns to the attention of our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff, as well as Senior Management. We are constantly renovating areas of our hotel. Although we certainly don’t consider it “cheapening out”, we do go through a budgetary process which dictates where our money is best spent.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0265. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Peabody, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a short trip to Lake George. The hotel has a lovely indoor and outdoor pool, amazing breakfast buffet and is located minutes from the village center. There is a running/bike path very close and a mini-golf course within walking distance. The staff was helpful with recommendations.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

SamLuciano, General Manager at BEST WESTERN of Lake George, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Micahel T,
Thank you for advising other Trip Advisor patrons of your stay with us. In regards to your comments on “Great Location, Great Value”, I would like to thank you for your kind words.
We look forward to hosting you again.
Thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

You can do better. The motel had an unpleasant odor (cleaning products or???), the
AC didn't work, no towel racks near the sink, not soundproof and had to drive to a restaurant. We used the Tripadvisor recommendations for a bakery so didn't try breakfast.

Dear CarolynMartin,
Re: comments: Unsatisfactory
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests.
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like we fell short. I will certainly bring your comments and concerns to the attention of our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff.
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked a room (2 bedrooms) back in April and the amount was debited from my credit card. Was to be be a special weekend for my daughter and a friend. We show up the night we had booked the room for - only to be told that the people that stayed in the room the night before decided to stay another night. What? So, that's OK? They decided to stay another night so the room I paid for and reserved 4 months ago is not available? Not right. They should have gone into the room and taken their items out and invalidated the cards so that when they tried to get back in, they'd have to go to the front desk. The manager thought it was a great thing that they were able to get us into another room down the road at a "resort" - but the room wasn't much different than your average room and I had to pay again! Bottom line is - you don't just let people decide they want to stay another night and put out people who already paid for and reserved the room four months ago! Will NEVER go back.

1 Thank nabcar
Dear nabcar,
Re: comments-Steer Clear:
Let me start by thanking you for your strong comments regarding our hotel.
It is not our policy to inconvenience an incoming guest because another guest has decided to extend their stay. I would like to know who at our Front Desk informed you of this. It is also not our policy to charge your card in advance unless you booked through a third party site. I apologize but I have no way of researching your reservation.
Medway, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Great breakfast included at this hotel. The only thing I would change, is the carpet in the room, it was a little musty. Bed was very comfortable, everything else was clean, nice bathroom and shower. Front desk was most helpful, as I made a mistake on my date of arrival, and they didn't give me a hard time, nor did they charge me extra.

1 Thank VinceyDog
SamLuciano, General Manager at BEST WESTERN of Lake George, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear VinceyDog,
Thank you for advising other Trip Advisor patrons of your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words.
Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. I will pass your comments along to them, including the comment regarding the carpeting in your room.
We hope you get the opportunity to come back to the Lake George region and allow us to be your host again.
Again, thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.
elmira, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Rooms walls do not block out much if any noise from the rooms next door. woke up at 11:00pm one night and could hear people clear as day the rest of the time. told the front desk and were told we could move rooms. Same breakfast items all three mornings we were there. Something different one od the days would have been nice. also having a tip jar out seemed a litle bold seeing how most people got their entire meal on their own.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

SamLuciano, General Manager at BEST WESTERN of Lake George, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Josua C,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel. Your feedback will help other travelers make informed decisions. Our goal is always to create a great experience for each of our guests. Comments like yours help us improve. I will pass your comments regarding noise and the continental breakfast area onto the Front Desk Management Team.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!