“Not a happy experience”

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Corning, New York
“Not a happy experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was there for a conference in October and booked 3 nights. At about 6:30am, the fire alarm system went off. No one banged on my door or called me - I am a heavy sleeper, and have no idea how long it was going off before I woke up. I looked out my parking lot window and noticed people out there and thought I should go also. In my jammies. I was outside for about 45 minutes, and then allowed back inside. I asked the desk clerk if I could have a cup of coffee - she directed me to the restaurant - where I could pay for it. I told her "I am in my pajamas...", and got a rude response. Someone else came along and opened up a cabinet where they offer complimentary coffee from 11am to 5pm. ?. 11-5? Since the elevators were not working, I took the stairs to my room, where in the stairwells they had fold up roll away beds stored among other things. Fire hazard.Spoke to another couple in the stairwell - gentleman had a problem with stairs and I was told they would not move them to a lower floor. I noticed there was a Quality Inn across the street and thought I would check that out, since it was actually closer to the conference area - the Fort William Henry charges $1.00 for a local call. Went over there, looked at a room - beautiful, clean, friendly staff, and booked the next two nights. When I went to check out of the Fort William Henry, I had the same girl who directed me to purchase coffee in my pajamas after they woke me up. I asked 'Don't you want to know why I am leaving 2 days early or try to fix it?' Her response was she didn't care. Said she had already talked to me 'like' 3-4 times. No - one time - asking for coffee. The reservation manager came over and completed my checkout and gave me his card, all while telling me the importance of fire alarms. I did not have a problem with the alarm, and I do understand safety. My problem was staff rudeness. Not to mention the lack of safety with items stored in stairwells. Told me next time I am there he will do something for me. Seriously? That was the time to do something, because I will never be back. From my fellow conference goers, I was informed that the alarm went off again the next morning at 5am. I will say that the view from the hotel was very nice, and the room was as well. But I was much happier across the street, and will not be returning to the Fort William Henry.

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor with a lake view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Pryscylla H
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Pryscylla H,
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your encounter with the Front Desk Associate who was responsible, but not responsive to your needs. The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one.
I also discussed the roll aways that were left in the stairwells with our Head Housekeeper.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
New Jersy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our stay at the Fort William Henry Hotel was most pleasurable. The staff were friendly and accommodating, especially Debbie at the Tankard Tavern . I appreciated the welcome email I received the day before we checked in. We stayed in room 206 of the Standard West Wing. Wonderful view of the lake and fireworks on Saturday night. The location of the hotel was perfect-a short 5 minute walk to the village, close to horseback riding stables and bike paths. We will definitely return to this hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank runner68NewJersy
Dear runner68NewNersy,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel and informing other travelers about our outstanding view and convenient location. We appreciate your compliments and kind words.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Happy Anniversary!
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Had a wedding in Lake george so the bridal party had a block of rooms reserved for the wedding. My husband and I got a beautiful room over looking the lake with a hot tub in the room. We didn't end up using the hot tub at all but the room was lovely. I am a CLEAN FREAK so I was worried about some other reviews but the room was immaculate. Service was wonderful. I will stay there again whenever we go back to Lake George.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank michelle d
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear michelle d,
Thank you for your kind comments. It is greatly appreciated when our guests recognize the efforts of our staff. I will share your kind comments with our team. Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. It is always nice to hear when we have done our job.
You are right- you cannot beat the view.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Thomaston, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We purchased the Autumn Package and we enjoyed everything. My friends birthday was that weekend and we were lucky to have Nick the Concierge help us get a birthday cake and surprise her. He went above and beyond for us. We also got a trip to the apple orchard with our package and were disappointed in the front desk telling us we had to have booked it a week earlier. Nick took us the next day and we had great day. Thank you Nick!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Linda Q,
Thank you for advising Trip Advisor patrons of your stay with us.. We appreciate your kind words about our lodging establishment.
I will be happy to pass your comments onto Nick our concierge. He is indeed an asset to the Fort William Henry.
We hope you get the opportunity to come back to the Lake George region and allow us to be your host again.
Thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were assigned a room in the 'Standard' portion of the resort with a mountain view. What a joke that was! For the amount of money we paid, I was really disappointed. The carpet was filthy and had several dark spots. The bathroom door stuck and would not close all the way. The door also opened into the toilet which made it difficult to enter the bathroom. The floor in the tub did not feel stable. The closet was a hole in the wall with minimal space. We had family staying in the main building and those rooms looked more modern. A disabled family member stayed in another section of the resort. This section did not have elevators. She had to leave the building and walk around to the front to enter the main building. Be forewarned if you have a disabled person in your group. If you cannot stay in the main resort, there are plenty of modern motels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main resort. If you are able, request to see the room in advance.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear 603DeeDee,
Thank you for those strong words. Our goal is always to create a great experience for each of our guests. Comments like yours help us improve.
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have different types of accommodations, each with their own location, ambience, and amenities. Our prices vary by room type to reflect these differences. We are constantly in the process of updating various parts of our property.
I was quite disturbed to hear about the perceived condition of your room. Our housekeeping staff receives compliments all the time on their professionalism and attention to cleanliness and excellent customer service.
Thank you for this useful feedback!

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Dighton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We recently stayed at FWH hotel, in the motel section. The room had a great view of the lake which we enjoyed the whole weekend. The rooms are clean but could use some maintenance (small things, like the tile in the bathroom!) The beds were comfortable with both soft and firmer pillows. The grounds are well maintained (as are all in Lake George Village) but due to the location you have a great view of the lake which can be enjoyed from the pool, restaurant, and the outside lounge. The wifi was good and we experienced no internet shutdowns. The staff was friendly, the rooms have a safe but could use a small refrigerator. Will I go back? Yes, I will.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms have a lake view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian B
Dear Brian B,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel and informing other travelers about our outstanding view and location. We appreciate your compliments and kind words.
Our goal is always to create a great experience for each of our guests. Comments like yours help us improve. The hotel is constantly going through renovations in one way or another, including public areas and restaurants.
Rainham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

One can't argue with the view from the rear of the hotel or from the pool. The main building/reception looks quite grand.
Unfortunately, our room over by the car park reminded me of Butlins in the 70's (UK readers will understand).
The room had everything in it, but looked like it hadn't been decorated in many a year. The adjoining door to the room next door was just that - a door. No soundproofing. I could hear the couple next door discussing what code they should use for the safe - 2204 if you want to know!
The water took ages to drain away after having a shower.
Breakfast was fairly chaotic. A queue was formed to go in and we were advised to wait as no tables were available. There seemed to be plenty outside and it was certainly warm enough to sit out there.
The girl booking guests into the restaurant looked thoroughly bored and yawned continuously.
The quality of the breakfast wasn't up to the high standards to which myself and my 23 year old daughter had become accustomed on our road trip around the eastern US. Replenishing the pastries was a major task!
We were only here for one night - wasn't disappointed about that to be honest.
Shame, because the location's fantastic, there's ample grounds and this could be a real jewel with the right vision and investment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin F
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Martin F,
We are sorry that our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one. It sounds like we fell short. The hotel is constantly going through renovations in one way or another, including public areas and restaurants.