“Does not work with you.”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I called to upgrade our rooms within ample time during the pre-season, the person on the phone was bothered and short with us, she said she couldn't change our rooms due to the way we booked them. If it was due to the availability I would understand, but no alternatives were given. They should remember they are in the hospitality business. Very disappointing,
should of got a campsite.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel C
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Daniel C,
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one. It sounds like we fell short.
We spend a great deal of time training our staff and you should always be greeted with a smile and a professional attitude. I have passed your concerns onto their management team for review and for comment.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Sam Luciano

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I just came back from a few day stay at FWH. Overall this is an average hotel . Convenient location though.,
As a business professional, I was a little disappointed with a few things.
1. Hotel does not have room service, which I found inconvenient. We didn't have many options since the town restaurants closed early during the week and we arrived at 8pm. I worked from my hotel room during the weekday and it would have been nice to have breakfast delivered .
2. Room was clean and nice , but was a junior suite with lake view .We had people from my husbands company who stayed in the premium hotel and that was a different story.
3. Inside pool looked dingy.
4. My husband and I went down for breakfast at the White Lion Saturday morning , only to have the waitress named Cricket forget to put our order in . We sat there like morons for 40 minutes thinking it was just busy . Thank god for Tisha who realized this error( Maggie and Tisha are very nice). My pancakes and eggs both had grill residue as if the griddle hadn't been cleaned in a month. I would not recommend this restaurant ,but we had no other choice with the limited options. I had to ask for a discount and to be honest, with the error and poor service I would have thought it would be on the house. Our waitress took our order and disappeared ( we know she wasn't in the kitchen as our order would have made it to the cook , which clearly did not happen). Don't expect great service here !
5. Front desk staff is nice, but could be a little friendlier with a personality. My advice is you need employees with excellent customer service skills. I was given wrong info when I checked in about room service . Dave is nice , others are mediocre.
6. My room smelled like propane when we arrived (due to the fireplace). It was overwhelming! Kevin from maintenance was great and tried to do what he could to help. He went above a beyond providing me with a power strip for my laptop as I forgot mine at home .
7. I was awakened at 1am Friday morning , as a bunch of drunken adults were outside below our room on the patio laughing and screaming . Considering the patio is directly in front of the lobby ,you would think I wouldn't have to call down to complain about the noise. 20 minutes later the rowdy crowd left . I got 4hours of sleep and both my husband and I had work in the morning. Mattress and pillows were not the greatest quality either.
Overall. I would not pay to stay at this hotel during peak season. It is directly in front of Lake George , but is not worth the high cost. Luckily , I was staying off peak . I inquired about the cost in the summer out of curiosity and almost chuckled when I was told the price. We travel a lot , so I have a high knowledge of reasonable cost . Sorry FWH , you're not the Ritz Carlton to be able to charge that much for rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelpro2006

Dear Travelpro2006,
Re: comments: Nice, but not quite
Let me start by thanking you for your lengthy comments, on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests.
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like we fell short. I will certainly bring your comments and concerns to the attention of our staff.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed on the 4th floor of the Grand Hotel last weekend for a wedding and had a great time. We went for a nice swim our first night. The room was quite roomy with a couch, fridge and microwave. The bathroom had a window you could open into the room which was great for keeping an eye on our wandering toddler. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was tasty. And the town was adorable. We would stay again!

Room Tip: From what I've read the wings are not as updated as the Main hotel. I would spend the few extra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stara52
SamLuciano, Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear stara52,
Thank you for sharing your experience, at our hotel, with other Trip Advisor patrons. We appreciate your kind words.
Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. I will pass your comments along to them.
We hope you get the opportunity to come back to the Lake George region and allow us to be your host again.
Again, thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Fort william henry hotel is situated at the most beautiful location on Lake George. It over looks the lake and every room on one side of the hotel has fantastic view of the lake. The rooms are neat, spacious and very well maintained. The support staff is diligent, cheerful and very accommodating.

I would particularly like to mention two instances that made our stay even more wonderful. One was during breakfast. We are vegetarian and therefore were a little worried about our options. The staff not only made us comfortable, but went extra mile to check and offer us a variety within the limited options. Not to forget an extra fruit bowl with fresh cut fruits were also offered.

The other instance made us feel extra special. While checking out, we ended up forgetting our two small bags with some valuables. We didn't realize it until we had reached home. Next day when we called front desk, they not only had preserved our things, but sent it through priority mail within the next day. This has made us an absolute fan of the place.

Fort William Henry is a must for anyone visiting Lake George. The most beautiful location, walkable distance to the lake and the cruises, good food, and above all, brilliant and attentive staff.

We will always have very fond memories of the place and would like to visit this place again, very soon!! :)

Room Tip: Look for Rooms overlooking the lake!! worth every penny you'd spend!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deepak S
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Deepak S,
Thank you for the kind words. In this never ending world of social media, it is appreciated and refreshing to have a guest comment on such a positive experience. Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. We value our VIP’s who return year after year and become ambassadors of our hotel.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to hosting you again. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed over the Valentines Wknd here because I think the location is great and the views of the lake are amazing. Our room was clean and it looked like it was updated. But what I thought was horrible was the pool area: it needs some serious renovation! The hot tub water I think wasnt change for weeks because it was foaming and just everywhere you look was dirty.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelbound33

Dear travelbound33,
Re: Great Location
Thank you for your kind comments, both pros and cons.
You are right- you cannot beat the location.
As for the indoor pool area, we have just completed a full renovation, including the Jacuzzi, sauna, floors, walls and the public restrooms/showers!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Booked on a whim Groupon deal. Read the fine print and compared to website, and decided to upgrade to the Grand Lake/Mountain room right off the bat. Very nice room with sitting area, comfy king size bed, fridge, microwave, stand up shower and separate tub. Beautiful view of the semi frozen lake. Did not even realize breakfast was included in the groupon which was a nice surprise with a decent enough selection. Nice staff. Most of the town was still closed down so was a lot of just hanging out which is what we wanted anyway. 10-15 minute drive to the outlets in GlensFalls and then about 20 or so minutes up to Cat Mt/Mt Thomas for hiking. Would definitely stay there again if going to that area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sandra H,
Thank you for your comments. It is greatly appreciated when our guests recognize the efforts of our staff. I will share your kind comments with our team.
You are right- you cannot beat the location, not only for the view, but also the convenience of being close to the outlets and numerous hiking trails.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our quick getaway was just that! My husband was offered a new job and said we'd better go away next wk because it would be a while before the new scheduled allowed him time off."YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL ME TWICE" we were just back from a trip 3 wks prior,since I work for myself its easy for me to take any time off. NICE HUH??? This is a very nice place,it was quiet, but we knew it would be, suits us just fine.We had gone to a museum that was adjacent to their grounds last year, and walked through the back and we thought it was sooo pretty.LAKEVIEW AND BIG POOL!!! The people were very nice and staff at the breakfast room were very friendly.We had no idea we'd be the ones staying here this year.Indoor pool small, but suffice.The sauna,we didn't use,and Jacuzzi was nice, fits like 8 people.Went down to the pier for fresh air, and no one was around. So different than summer when u cant even walk.The WHOLE village was closed EVEN MC DONALDS!!!That was funny. We drove into QUEENSBURY and GLENNSFALLS where they had a small mall and it was alive with shops and restaurants.We drove allot and took in the MAGNIFICENT VIEWS OF THE ADIRONDACKS.We love LAKE GEORGE and will go again soon.The beds were very comfy and room was fine, it would be great if they all had fridges and microwaves, but we bring a cooler everywhere we travel, so its all good.No complaints here. Tina loves Nel

Room Tip: We had room 290 with a GREAT VIEW!!! no fridge or micro tho...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear tina9222,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel and informing other travelers about our “GREAT VIEW” and convenient location. We appreciate your compliments and kind words. It’s wonderful to have a guest comment on our many attributes. Please let the Front Desk know next time you visit, especially during our slow time, we will be happy to upgrade you to a room with microwave and fridge if it is available.