“ANNEX not an "upscale" hotel - great location !”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Welland, Canada
“ANNEX not an "upscale" hotel - great location !”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Check in was after 5 pm, about 25 people in line. I showed up at 4 pm and saw cleaning staff gathered together chatting away! Told to come back later. Why? Surely there were some rooms available at 4pm. Very poor check in process. Desk staff did not care in the least. I did not know that there was a "breakfast room" or lounge on site. Must have been a wedding sometime on Saturday, the chairs and tables were folded up on the lawn the whole time I was there, I left Monday. Cigarette butts and plasitc bottles and caps everywhere on the grounds. Nobody was cleanning up in any area, including the pool area. Doors were scratched, overhang had peeling paint, room was dated, old rug, old bathroom, the rooms need to be updated. Pretty sure that the main building was good, but where I stayed the place really needed renovation. Grounds are not well kept, and no one seemed to care. Poorly run establishment. BUT can't beat the location or the scenery, it just doesn't get any better in Lake George!

Room Tip: Annex was not great but did not pay a lot, booked through Groupon for a discounted rate. Main hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sueb18
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear sueb 18,
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one. It sounds like they fell short.
We spend a great deal of time training our staff and you should always be greeted with a smile and a professional attitude. I have passed your concerns onto their management team for review and for comment.
We are proud of our housekeeping and maintenance departments. They are well trained and well managed. They take pride in their profession and have received numerous “excellences in hospitality” awards. I have passed your comments on to their management teams for review.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here in May, just before the town really opened for the season. The staff here is phenomenal. Everyone from check-in staff to housekeeping did a stellar job making sure my stay was enjoyable. Where do you get these people? I've stayed at many hotels in the last few years and never had such great service!

I will definitely be staying there again next year!

Room Tip: Ask for lake side, the view is spectacular!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank chucky3456
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Chucky3456,

Thank you for the kind words about our staff.

. It is always nice when our guests recognize their efforts.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

First off when I booked the room in November I was told the price was 667 for four nights. I paid 189 towards the room and still had to pay 560 when checked out. Three different people at the front desk told me three different prices. This was a family vacation so we booked four rooms total. My father had to move three times. The first room flooded, the second room window had water pouring in from the thunderstorm. We were accommodated to the main part of the hotel which was much nicer but even then I had problems with the a/c. I checked out Saturday and when I told them they were charging me more than I was quoted they could care less. Forced to pay it. Just when I thought this vacation from hell was over i check my bank statement on Monday only to see that they preauthorized 502 dollars and then charged me 558 dollars on top of that totaling 1060. I called multiple times only to get the runaround. It's going to take 3-4 days for those preauthorizations to get removed leaving me short money to pay my bills. The staff here is incompetent and could care less about your needs. Do yourself the favor find somewhere else to stay because there are much nicer hotels for a lot less.

5 Thank Salvix19
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Salvix19,

Thank you for commenting on our hotel. I am glad we were able to resolve your debit card issue with your bank. As you found out, financial institutions can take up to 30 days to credit your account. It is up to each bank individually. Their policies are listed in the fine print.

Also, thank you for discussing your guest room issues with us. It is easier for us to resolve problems as they happen rather than after your departure. Your feedback will help other travelers make informed decisions.

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Bennington, Vermont
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were traveling back from the Adirondacks with my niece and her boys and decided to book a Groupon "deal" to stay here one night. Thank goodness that's all we had to endure. What a disappointment!

The troubles started with Check In - I tried to check in around 230 pm, but the rooms weren't ready, so the young men who were at the front desk told me to come back at 3 pm. Apparently they told everyone to come back then. When I returned, the young men had been replaced by elderly front desk staff who were incredibly slow... so after waiting in line for 20+ minutes to check in, I was told that the room wasn't ready and we had to wait another half hour!

Aside from the check in issues at Front desk, there were others. My niece had to wake up early to do some work before we got on the road. She had trouble getting into the lobby as all the doors were locked and nobody let her in. What kind of hotel has a lockdown of the lobby? When she finally got in, she asked the young men who'd now replaced the elderly duo if she could get some coffee in the lobby, and they rudely told her it wouldn't be available until 11. However she spotted the coffee and went ahead and helped herself. How could they be so thick? Or were they just being rude? Additionally, my niece went to the lobby in the evening to buy a soda for her son from a machine and there was a foul odor, like backed up sewage. She mentioned to the elderly woman at the front desk, who replied "I know."

Other issues:

TV didn't work well - all the channels had lines across them due to poor reception.

Ants everywhere on the walkways and by the pool. Careful!

We complained about the next door neighbor smoking outside our non-smoking room and the elderly front desk staff did nothing about it, so I had to confront the person myself, asking him to smoke elsewhere. It was not my responsibility as a guest to do this.

Terribly uncomfortable beds! Just awful and soft. Bad sleep.

I don't recommend this place for the money. In fact, I don't recommend Lake George at all. There are better places in the region to spend time and money.

Room Tip: Don't book standard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lori S
Dear Lori S
Thank you for advising other Trip Advisor patrons of your stay with us.

Some comments to your concerns:

Our entrances are secured for our guests’ privacy and protection. A guest room key will open the electronic perimeter doors. The main lobby doors are automatic and are never locked.
Check-in time is 4pm and clearly stated in all of our printed materials. We are happy to accommodate early check-ins if the guest room is cleaned and inspected.

We apologize for the behavior of other guests. We do our best to provide a family friendly and safe environment. When I retire I am writing a book called “How to Travel”. I am sure it will be a best seller.

Lastly, if you have any issues when you travel, please let the hotel know about it, during your stay, so they can be rectified. Commenting after departure doesn’t help improve your stay experience or benefit the hotel.

It was a pleasure to serve you. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. For the price it was not what I expected..the room was dated, the drawer in the dresser was broken, not enough hangers for the hooks, hole in the wall, smelled of smoke, ants in the bathroom, the hallway smelled of urine and rhe security door would not lock. Thank god the event I was there for amazing just wished I would have stayed elsewhere

Stayed June 2014
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Spamama_12
We are sorry that our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one, including upgrades to our Grand Hotel if available. It sounds like we fell short
Our hotel property is very unique. We have three different types of accommodations, each with their own location, ambiance, and amenities. We have taken great strides to differentiate them to potential guests. Our web page even has a video of each section to help our guests make informed travel decisions.
Had you contacted the Front Desk, Housekeeping could have easily brought you the appropriate amount of hangers for you needs. As for the Security Door is unlocked a 7:00 am and locked at 10:00 pm. We also have cameras throughout the property for security.
I have passed your other concerns onto our management and housekeeping team for review and for comment.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!
Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here because we were part of the wedding party getting married here. The view is the only reason why it got a 4, if it was based on the room it would be a 1. For the price we paid ($405 for a two-night stay), the room is no better than a cheap motel and in serious (i mean, serious!) need of remodeling. The other rooms that are part of the main hotel are much nicer than the one we stayed (which we thought we would be in because of the price). We paid for a cinder block room with a dated bathroom that looked like it was from the 70s. Will definitely not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main part of the hotel if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Denise T
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Denise T ,
In regards to: “View is the only thing you get…..beware
Thank you for strong, constructive criticism. We use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
We are sorry that our standard section did not meet your expectations. As you know, we have different types of accommodations, each with their own location, ambience, and amenities. Our prices vary by these room types to reflect these differences. The Fort William Henry room types and locations are clearly identified on our web page, both in videos and pictures. Our standard west section remains very popular with many of our guests because of its proximity to the outdoor pool.
Also be aware that all of our rooms go through a five point cleaning process. In this process, our guest’s high touch areas are sterilized with a device that emits a special UV band that kills 99.9 percent of all germs and bacteria. This insures us the highest sanitary conditions for our guests. The last phase of our housekeeping process is an inspection, with a unique black light system. The results of this effort have won our housekeeping department many awards. Our head housekeepers have over 50 years of experience in the hospitality business.
When you travel, if you ever have an issue with your stay, simply go to the front desk and let them resolve it. Reputable hotels will correct the problem immediately, including a free upgrade if available.
Your critique will be brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper, the Maintenance Director and the Front Desk Manager.
Again, thank you for your comments.
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Took my daughter and my wife for her birthday. First time in lake George and we couldn't have found a better place to spend the night. The hotel was great. The best location in town. The rooms we're clean and comfy. I booked the room just one night before our arrival and send an email to the hotel requesting a room with the lake view. When we arrived the person at the check in said that they have a room with a lake view for us. The guys at check-in we're very polite and very helpful. Definitely will be back again.

1 Thank Klodian o
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Klodian 0,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel and sharing your experience with other travelers. We appreciate your compliments and kind words.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to hosting you again. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800-234-0267.