“It is better than you think.”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Marcellus, New York
“It is better than you think.”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

FWH gets a lot of thumbs downs. I think most of that is attributable to the motel like add-ons, one on each side of the main building. People really don't seem to like them. I stayed in the main bldg w/a perfect, gorgeous view of Lake George. Service was excellent at desk but I did not try the restaurant. Great pool, a little too cold for me but open all hours that were posted. Got lots of super referrals to places and restaurants I should visit. I was completely comfortable in my room. On a chilly night I called down to the desk for an extra blanket and within three minutes, two housekeepers knocked on my door, each holding a blanket. I stayed in a room with a hot tub (bumps up the room price) and used it every night but it was completely clean and sanitized the next day. I can't say enough about the hotel staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a great stay in Lake George but is willing to spend a little more than on surrounding motels....and get it in writing that you want a room in the main bldg and that they will hold it for you.

Room Tip: Main Bldg only, no rooms are near street noise due to very large parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Brian P
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Brian P.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, honestly, on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Coventry, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just got back from our week long vacation in Lake George. Our stay at FWH was fantastic. We stayed in the L suite which was perfect for our family of 5. The grounds, pool and view are the best in Lake George. The front desk was very nice and helpful. It was very relaxing sitting on the veranda and enjoying a cocktail from the bar. We loved this hotel so much we booked for next year!

Room Tip: Stay in the grand hotel. Beautiful rooms.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lisa n
Dear Lisa N.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and amenities. Your comments are important to other travelers.

It was our pleasure to host you and your family. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

New York, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I live locally but sometimes you just need a night away. The fort William Henry is it .the rooms are always clean and ready . The desk staff are very friendly, Lynsey is so wonderful as well as Mario, I did notice a couple of desk clerks sitting as they were interacting with guest this is not very professional something to work on. Also The White lion makes a wonderful breakfest and really good coffee with a beautiful view.can't wait for our nexted getaway.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank de4e3
Dear De4e,

Thank you for those wonderful compliments. When you stay with us as a local resident, please be aware that you qualify for special rates.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The rooms are always great to stay in. Very spacious and comfortable. No regrets! As usual, we were welcomed back by the manager Sam and his great staff. The restaurants local to the hotel are great and everything was perfect. The veranda is always an amazing place to kick back, relax, and watch the view of the amazing Adirondack Mountains and Lake George. The pool is refreshing and great to relax in on a hot day. Complimentary coffee in the lobby. The lobby sitting area is very comfortable. Now onto the rooms. The standards are our usual stay but this year we stayed in grand hotel. The Grand Hotel has the best rooms imaginable. Very spacious with a great view of Lake George (lake view) Beds are comfortable and warm, coffee maker and condiments, great as always. The staff, rooms, restaurants, and just EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! And the lake view has a great view of the fireworks Thurs. and Fri. 4th of July- Labor Day hint. So coming here with family is great and I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the Lake George Region. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try to go into the grand hotel it is a bit pricier than the others but its worth the extra $.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Pedro M
Dear Pedro M.

Thank you for writing this great review. I have met so many wonderful people over my 30 year career with Fort William Henry. It is always refreshing to talk with guests that really appreciate the beauty that Lake George and the surrounding Adirondacks have to offer.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I planned a girls weekend, we decided to stay at the Fort William Henry Hotel, it started off by trying to find a parking spot, which generally you would would be mindless, but I found out just the opposite. trying to find a parking spot in the hotel parking lot was AWFUL!!! I ended up having to park on the grass ways away from the hotel entrance, this was after driving around for ten minutes or more to even find a spot to wedge into. As for the over all stay it was not to bad, I wouldn't stay for any longer then a weekend. The hotel workers kept to themselves, the rooms were a lot smaller then incapacitated, but we made it work. The location was perfect to the lake and shops along with places to eat and enjoy the main strip of Lake George.

Room Tip: we had a suite the "L" shape, if you are traveling with 5 people I recommend getting a roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear A_Nerney614

Let me start by thanking you for your comments in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests.

We are sorry that we did not have adequate parking during your visit. I sounds like you stayed during a Cadillac Car show we were hosting. We will certainly bring your comments and concerns to the attention of our staff.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We attended the Cadillac Grand Nationals here this month, Stayed in the older motel style accommodations and had a first floor lake-view room. The room was comfortable and clean, but seriously in need of up-dating. Peeling paint, worn areas, etc., but we did get a super rate through the show. Did it detract from our enjoyment, not in the least, but if you are the kind of person that is bothered by issues like this, it may not be the best choice for you.

We experienced no issues that I would complain about. The grounds are very nice and well kept. The pool area was clean and functional. There is a nice outdoor bar and seating area overlooking the pool and with a beautiful view looking up the lake. The White Lion restaurant has a very nice view of the lake while dining.

Would we go back...in a word, Yes, if the price was right. Thursday night there is a fireworks display from the lake right in front of the property offering a perfect viewing venue. The property is easy walking distance from everything in the downtown area.

Room Tip: If you are going to be here, make sure it is lakeside
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear mrclean111,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel and informing other travelers about our view and convenient location. We appreciate your compliments and kind words.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Happy Anniversary!
Albany, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Went there on 4th of July weekend for a wedding. The wedding began at 4:30PM. My wife had booked this room in October of 2013, and had called to confirm everything was in place, including the ability to check in early (2:00-2:30). She was told not a problem. We went to check in at 2:00 and were told it would be about 15 minutes or so. Went back at 2:30 and was told it would be another 30 minutes or so. Went back at 3:10 and was told it would be ready within the hour.

Now we're hurrying, and scrambling. Luckily, my wife was able to get ready in her mother's room (which they got it at 3:15). I went back to the desk at 3:50 and pretty much told the clerk that I have got to get into my room. At this point he said the room was ready. Being that I was in such a hurry, having to walk across that parking lot 3 or 4 times to check on my room, and knowing I had to run up to my mother-in-law's room to grab my suit, and bag, I left the lobby in a hurry. Just as I got to the room I realized the guy at the front counter didn't give me my room keys. At this point I had to run back down to the lobby, wait in line AGAIN, and I was sent to another clerk. An old guy who moved at the speed of frozen molasses.

What an incompetent staff. Ignorant, clueless, and rude. I know for a fact EVERYONE from this wedding who stayed there were not happy with their rooms, or accommodations. A pretty poor excuse for a hotel. I've stayed at The Quality Inn across the street numerous times and it is 1000 times better than this place. The rooms there are clean, updated, modern. Great WiFi connection, hot tub, and pool. I've also stayed at the Tiki Lounge which isn't a glamorous place but it's very affordable, comfortable, and well worth the price.

I've never been to a hotel where I couldn't get into my room until almost 4PM.
I will say this, I did not stay in the rundown section of the hotel. I will give credit where it's due, the room was very clean, good size bathroom, king sized bed, and was very quiet. However, the experience I had trying to check in, and the incompetence of the front desk staff turned me off from this place, and I will not come back.

Room Tip: Rooms are pricey but good. Staff very incompetent, and clueless!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 172Kevin76
Dear 172kevin76,

Thank you for commenting on our hotel and staff.

Our normal check-in time is 4 pm and is clearly stated on all of our collateral materials. We try very hard to turn our rooms over, especially for wedding guests that are trying to check-in early to get ready. Please understand that we will never sacrifice our standards, or your safety, in order to provide a guest room before its was 100% ready.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope we will see you again the next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels