Before I get to the service- I first must say that the location is excellent- overlooking the lake and within walking distance of the village, beach, and boats. This is the only reason my rating is poor and not terrible. The customer service at this hotel was sorely lacking, however. My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and upon arriving on Sunday, we tried checking in at 2pm when we arrived. The desk clerk politely told us that our room wasn't yet ready (4pm check-in), but to try again at 3/3:30 and it should be ready. We left our car and returned at 3:30 and unfortunately our room was not ready; not a huge deal- we walked to the beach and got back at 4pm. We then checked in, was given our room keys (we were staying in the motel portion), gathered our bags from our car and went to our room. When we arrived, the maids apparently just began working on our room, because the door was open, but everything was strewn about. When I went to inquire about the room not being done, and if there was another room they could put us in (since our luggage was sitting with my wife outside our room), I was told there were no other rooms and we would just have to wait- no apologies or offers for a free drink at the bar- just go sit and wait. After sitting outside of our room for a half hour waiting for it to be cleaned (couldn't go anywhere until our luggage was secured), we were then told that the tub leaked, and they had to turn the water off for the whole building to repair the faucet causing the leak- so they provided extra towels to keep the floor dry. No offer to move us- apparently since there weren't any other rooms available. So for the entire 3 days- we sopped up a wet bathroom floor a few times a day. When we went to the pool, there was never any clean towels- we sat there for an hour one day until new towels were brought down. I believe this hotel is severely lacking enough help to maintain it- they have a 10am checkout and 4pm checkin- a 6 hour window to turn rooms around, and can't do it. If you're looking for a decent hotel in a great location- this is a good choice- just don't expect anything whatsoever from the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few area resorts open year-round, the Fort William Henry offers a variety of lodging accommodations with the perfect mix of historical elegance and today’s conveniences. There are three unique buildings to choose from - the upscale traditional grace of the Grand Hotel; the comfort of the Premium East Wing and the convenience of the Standard West Motel. All of our accommodations enjoy access to our extensive amenities, including an indoor pool with sauna and Jacuzzi, Olympic-size outdoor pool, several unique shops & boutiques, and three superb restaurants all on resort grounds. This historic Adirondack hotel is located on an 18-acre estate spanning the southern shore at the head of Lake George. A stunning location combined with beautifully landscaped grounds and world-class views of the many islands of Lake George and the surrounding Adirondack mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fort William Henry Hotel Lake George
- Fort William Henry Lake George