“Great Location; Horrible Service”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Before I get to the service- I first must say that the location is excellent- overlooking the lake and within walking distance of the village, beach, and boats. This is the only reason my rating is poor and not terrible. The customer service at this hotel was sorely lacking, however. My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and upon arriving on Sunday, we tried checking in at 2pm when we arrived. The desk clerk politely told us that our room wasn't yet ready (4pm check-in), but to try again at 3/3:30 and it should be ready. We left our car and returned at 3:30 and unfortunately our room was not ready; not a huge deal- we walked to the beach and got back at 4pm. We then checked in, was given our room keys (we were staying in the motel portion), gathered our bags from our car and went to our room. When we arrived, the maids apparently just began working on our room, because the door was open, but everything was strewn about. When I went to inquire about the room not being done, and if there was another room they could put us in (since our luggage was sitting with my wife outside our room), I was told there were no other rooms and we would just have to wait- no apologies or offers for a free drink at the bar- just go sit and wait. After sitting outside of our room for a half hour waiting for it to be cleaned (couldn't go anywhere until our luggage was secured), we were then told that the tub leaked, and they had to turn the water off for the whole building to repair the faucet causing the leak- so they provided extra towels to keep the floor dry. No offer to move us- apparently since there weren't any other rooms available. So for the entire 3 days- we sopped up a wet bathroom floor a few times a day. When we went to the pool, there was never any clean towels- we sat there for an hour one day until new towels were brought down. I believe this hotel is severely lacking enough help to maintain it- they have a 10am checkout and 4pm checkin- a 6 hour window to turn rooms around, and can't do it. If you're looking for a decent hotel in a great location- this is a good choice- just don't expect anything whatsoever from the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RIBrian1
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear RIBrian1,
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
The front desk staff undergoes extensive training to make sure your Fort William Henry experience is a positive, memorable one. It sounds like they fell short. I will certainly go over your comments with them, one at a time, at our next staff meeting. There may have been a communication break down between Housekeeping and the Front Desk.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I'm not gonna lie..I read some of these reviews and I was really nervous about staying here.
We stayed at FWH this past weekend for a wedding that we were attending there. We stayed in the motel part Standard West. The room was fine. If you are expecting a NYC boutique hotel room you may be disappointed, but overall it was a nice room. It was clean, although slightly dated, but no where near as horrible as some of these reviews make the rooms out to be. We were on the parking lot side, but I had no issue with there being to much noise at all. As a matter of fact, I slept like a baby.
The grounds are beautiful and the view was awesome! The wedding was fantastic!
We did not have breakfast there but we did have dinner the first night at the Village Blacksmith. It was decent ~ its not a gourmet steakhouse by any means but the food was good and reasonable priced. The bartender was very nice and the drinks were perfect.
All in all ~ would I go back to FWH? Yes I would. I think my kids would love the pool and shuffleboard and just being so close to the village.
Moral of the story ~ if you are thinking of staying here I would say do it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MamaMaxNY

Dear MamaMaxNY,
Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel with other Trip Advisor travelers. We appreciate your compliments and kind words.
It is always refreshing to have our satisfied guests share their wonderful experience at our facility, especially after reading disparaging reviews. I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Awesome view of the lake. Fantastic pool. Horrible pool service. Waited two hours for lunch pool side. Wated 90 mins for breakfast at the white lion. The bartenders at the Veranda were inexperienced and confused. The rooms were so dated and the bathroom smelled. I would recommend the hotel strictly for location, can't beat it. Otherwise, staff and cleanliness is very below standard

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Marsb21
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Marsb21,
We are sorry that Food Venues and Bar did not meet your expectations. I will certainly discuss your comments with the Managers.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our second year staying at Fort William Henry for a Family Reunion. We stayed in the main hotel with a gorgeous view of the lake! Everything was perfect, again. The hotel is extremely clean and in a great location. The rooms are very spacious and it's an easy walk to the attractions and shopping. We will be back again next July for our 3rd year!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Margaret M
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Margaret M.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your feedback will be of great help to others travelers to Lake George.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Great place for my extended family to stay and all be together. Room was large. Got the connecting room so had 2 king beds and a pull out sleeper
The pool area is great for all if us hang out. It is so conveniently located to village, lake, shopping, minni-ha-ha

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank lorid1012

Dear lorid1012,
Thank you for sharing your experience, at our hotel, with other Trip Advisor patrons. We appreciate your kind words.
Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. I will pass your comments along to them.
We hope you get the opportunity to come back to the Lake George region and allow us to be your host again.
Again, thank you for this feedback! It was our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

FWH gets a lot of thumbs downs. I think most of that is attributable to the motel like add-ons, one on each side of the main building. People really don't seem to like them. I stayed in the main bldg w/a perfect, gorgeous view of Lake George. Service was excellent at desk but I did not try the restaurant. Great pool, a little too cold for me but open all hours that were posted. Got lots of super referrals to places and restaurants I should visit. I was completely comfortable in my room. On a chilly night I called down to the desk for an extra blanket and within three minutes, two housekeepers knocked on my door, each holding a blanket. I stayed in a room with a hot tub (bumps up the room price) and used it every night but it was completely clean and sanitized the next day. I can't say enough about the hotel staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a great stay in Lake George but is willing to spend a little more than on surrounding motels....and get it in writing that you want a room in the main bldg and that they will hold it for you.

Room Tip: Main Bldg only, no rooms are near street noise due to very large parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Brian P
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Brian P.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, honestly, on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just got back from our week long vacation in Lake George. Our stay at FWH was fantastic. We stayed in the L suite which was perfect for our family of 5. The grounds, pool and view are the best in Lake George. The front desk was very nice and helpful. It was very relaxing sitting on the veranda and enjoying a cocktail from the bar. We loved this hotel so much we booked for next year!

Room Tip: Stay in the grand hotel. Beautiful rooms.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lisa n

Dear Lisa N.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and amenities. Your comments are important to other travelers.

It was our pleasure to host you and your family. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!