“Room with a view”

Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Dumont, New Jersey
“Room with a view”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked a lake view room for our 50th wedding anniversary. After a 4 hour drive we were told that no rooms of this type were available. We were given a "mountain view" room which included the parking lot, route 9A and a row of resort businesses. There was a mountain but it was not the primary focus. We had reservations booked through Booking.Com but there was no such room available. Beware false promises and high expectations. I do not know why a reservation was not a reservation but it was a great disapointment on a special occasion.

Room Tip: Do not expect to find what is supposedly reserved.
2 Thank Stanley Z
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Stanley Z,
Let me start by thanking you for commenting on our hotel, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
Third party, on-line bookings are a very popular and speedy way of booking your reservation, but it is always best to follow through directly with the hotel.
We are sorry that our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one. It sounds like we fell short.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback.
Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked through Groupon, like the other person who reviewed here a few days ago. I don't really need to add much beyond what she said--we are in the "standard" section, i.e the motel. We assumed we were booking the main hotel, because that's what it showed on the Groupon. It's revolting and I can barely stand to be here. This morning, I listened to a long diatribe--through the paper thin walls--from the people next door, who were coping with a flood in their bathroom. We we're stuck, however, since we paid via Groupon and we did not qualify for the free blood-on-your-door-upgrade. I'm beyond ticked to be spending my vacation time in a hotel that makes my skin crawl. I can't speak to the other parts of the hotel, but my advice is be very wary booking here, and you could probably find something a lot nicer for the same money or less elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you must book here--and I advise against it--book the main hotel. The location is very good, but...
Dear EDR416
Let me start by thanking you for your detrimental remarks, in regards to your recent visit. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we use this information to improve. Our goal is to create a great experience for each of our guests. We learn from every comment.
We are sorry that our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. The front desk is trained to take every step possible to make your Fort William Henry experience a positive, memorable one, including upgrades to our Grand Hotel if available, no matter what booking engine you used. It sounds like we fell short.
Our hotel property is very unique. We have three different types of accommodations, each with their own location, ambiance, and amenities. We have taken great strides to differentiate them to potential guests. Our web page even has a video of each section to help our guests make informed travel decisions.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Yorktown Heights, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked this hotel after noticing a Groupon deal they were offering. We travel to Lake George frequently and knew they have fabulous lake views so we booked it as a stop over for our way back from a visit to Niagra Falls, Canada. We arrived to the hotel a little after 2:00pm and went to the front desk to check in. The very first words out of the rude front desk representative, Carmen, after looking up our reservation was a very annoyed "oh, you booked through a groupon." When I responded that that was correct she told me check in was at 4pm and I would have to come back then. I knew check in was at 4 but was hoping maybe we would get lucky and our room would be ready. She said we could check back in an hour but it was unlikely a room would be available before 4pm. As I was getting ready to leave her desk I commented that their lobby was nice and she followed my observation with a quick and nasty "well you booked through a groupon so you are not staying in this building." She promptly told me that the main building is "way more expensive" than what we had paid for the groupon. Again with the groupon reference?? I get it. You don't like groupons. Then don't work at a place that offers them. We left and had lunch and returned at 3:10. There was now a man at reception whose name I didn't catch. He, too, checked my reservation and guess what?? He evidently is also bothered by groupons, since he brought up right away that that was how we had booked. Oh yeah, and our room was still not available. Check in is at 4pm he reminded me but I could check back in half an hour. So I did. At almost 4 pm I went back and Michelle M was now at reception. Our room is available! She gave me our room assignment which was a "mountain view" room in the "standard west wing."

This is when our trip really started getting bad. I walked up to our 2nd floor room carrying a big suitcase and walked in to what looked like a motel that should be rented by the hour. It was dark and dingy and way outdated with a really bad musty odor. The bathroom was disgusting with mildew covering a good portion of the shower wall which I took pictures of with my phone. I knew there was no way I was staying in this room with my family so I went to leave and was shocked and disgusted to see what appears to be a large BLOOD SMEAR across the back of the door by the deadbolt. Are you kidding me?? It looked as if someone was bleeding on the door while attempting to open the lock from the inside of the room. That was the final straw. I took a picture of that as well and went back to Michelle at the front desk and showed her the pictures. She was obviously embarrassed and extremely apologetic. She asked me to email her the pictures so she could show her manager, which I did while standing at her desk. She said she could move us to another room with a lake view in the same building. I told her no way. I was not staying in that old disgusting dilapidated building. She then said she could accommodate us in the main building but the only room available had only 1 king sized bed. Since there were 4 of us they would try to get 2 roll away beds but because the hotel was very full she didn't know if that would be possible . I told her I would even take 1 if they didn't have 2 since 3 of us could probably sleep in the king sized bed. She called housekeeping and asked them if there were any available but they were "too busy" to check. Too busy doing what? Clearly not cleaning the rooms. I gave her my cell number and she said she would text me when she got the information from housekeeping. I told her we would go and evaluate the room and see if we were even going to feel comfortable staying in the main building since the other building was so awful and she seemed surprised that we would want to see it first since it was "one of the largest rooms we have and it has a fireplace." After a short conversation explaining that my husband was so disgusted he may not want the kids to stay in this hotel given the deplorable conditions of the other building she said she understood and we checked it out. It seemed fine so I went back to tell her we would take it. While I was waiting, there was a couple at the front desk complaining about the room they had been given after booking with their groupon. I heard the front desk staff say they could be upgraded to the main building but that would be a $300 fee. Poor people. Too bad they didn't have blood all over their door or they could have moved! When I spoke to Michelle she still hadn't heard about the bed situation and I was not going to unpack my car until I knew they had at least 1 roll away so we left and walked around the property, seething at what we had already been through. Forty five minutes later, still no text so I went back to the front desk. Michelle had been replaced by an elderly woman who told me she had no idea if there were beds available and I would have to "check back later." Really???? I explained the situation and she did not care one bit. She told me to move aside so she could help the next person in line. Thank goodness, just as I was about to make a huge scene, Michelle came back and said she had not heard back from housekeeping but she was going to check for beds herself and see what she could find. After just a few minutes she came back and had found 2 rollaways which would be provided free of charge (as if we were going to pay for them.)

At almost 5:30pm we moved our suitcases into our new room. This room was fine. They brought 2 roll away beds in and there was enough room for both of them. The room had a king sized bed, a fireplace, a dining area with 5 chairs and a small kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. No sink, though, so that was weird. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub. We didn't use the tub but the shower was tiny and the shower head leaked and sprayed water all over. The vent above the shower was filthy with dust. I didn't call to complain because I just didn't have it in me to argue with them any more. We tried to get wifi for our iPads but could not get it to work in the room. I called the front desk but it rang and rang and no one answered so I just gave up and we used our 3G service on our phones instead.

We never got to use the outdoor pool because by the time we were unpacked it was dinner time and the next day it rained so I cannot comment on the pool itself. It looked nice enough but when we were going to dinner there were people in the lobby complaining there were no clean pool towels by the pool.

We spent 2 nights which were relatively uneventful with the exception of the fact that because of where the air conditioner is located in relation to the bed, we had to build a wall of pillows on the bed or else the air conditioner blew right on you all night. We tried multiple times to get the air to turn off but it seemed stuck in auto mode and continually kicked on and off all night.

When we checked out this morning, Carmen was back on duty. She asked me about my stay and I told her it was terrible. She said she was sorry to hear that and then told me that I had a $12 balance on my account for a "resort fee." I asked her what that included and she told me wifi and parking. I told her the wifi never worked in our room but she could go ahead and charge my credit card and I would just cancel the charge with the credit card company when I got home. (I had no more fight in me after all we had been through but also had no intention of paying for a service I was never able to use.) She then decided that it wasn't worth it and told me she would void the fee. She did want me to speak with a manager to go over my complaints but it was 7:00 in the morning, my family was already in the car and frankly I wasn't in the mood to get into it with another person who I am sure would just give me excuses so I declined. After checking out, I checked the hotel website and the resort fee is supposed to cover wifi and pool access. No, Carmen, it doesn't cover parking. The website states that is free.

I guess the bottom line is I would never stay in or recommend this hotel. I complained to groupon and they have already removed this offer from their website, although it originally had dates available into September. I can only assume that since it is no longer offered I am not the only person to complain to them about this hotel. The views are spectacular and their grounds appear well kept but the hotel is not worth it. AT ALL. The staff, with the exception of Michelle M, were rude and obnoxious. They are a disgrace to the hospitality industry. The motel part is so dilapidated it should be torn down. I have stayed at much nicer hotels with many more amenities for less money that it costs to stay here. Don't waste your money at this place. I gave a 1 star rating only because it would not allow me to give it zero.

4 Thank jill d
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Jill,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your commentary as it helps us improve our operations and assist other travelers when making a destination choice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience of our check-in time and your room selection. We communicated thoroughly with our third party sites on our three different room types and our policies, including check-in and check-out times. We have serviced thousands of Groupon travelers since June and have had very positive feedback.

Jill, the front office communicated with me each and every time you complained. I reached out to you numerous times but got to no response. I left you an email to call me as well. I purposely arrived early on your checkout day to meet with you. The front office associate informed me that you declined. We like to solve any guest issues right away, not after the fact and through social media.

Lastly, I caution you about exaggerating or over emphasizing items in your reviews. Careers can be eliminated with the stroke of a pen. Trip Advisor is a wonderful site to place an honest review for other travelers to benefit from. It is not a site for malice intent or to seek refunds.

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Trust that we did everything in our power to accommodate your requests. We thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We had a lovely room facing the lake and it was picture perfect. The room was very clean and well stocked. Staff on the floor were friendly and helpful. The grounds were well groomed and very clean. Front desk staff were extremely pleasant and helpful especially Ryan - he couldn't do enough for you. The restaurant on property was very good - do try it - you wouldn't be disappointed. I even had the pleasure of meeting the General Manager of the hotel and he made me feel very welcomed and if I had any problems to please call him. Now that is service. The hotel is in a location that has plenty of attractions for the young and old. If you are looking for an ideal vacation spot - you will find it here at the Fort William Henry Hotel.

1 Thank 520SMS1959
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear 520SMS1959,
Thank you for sharing the great experience you had, at our hotel, with other Trip Advisor Travelers.. In regards to your comments on “Kudos to the Fort William Henry”, we appreciate your kind words.
Our staff strives daily to deliver a product that exceeds our guests’ expectations. It is always nice to hear that our efforts are not only noticed, but appreciated. I will certainly pass your comments onto Ryan our Front Desk Manager.
We hope to host you again.
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel prior. A room at the Premium side was more than comfortable. Clean, safe, well appointed room that did not show any signs of wear. Flat screen TV with plenty of channel selections. The only draw backl was that the window screen had some holes in it thus not allowing us to have the window open for fresh air.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are more like motel rooms. Building not attached to main unit and exterior door...
1 Thank acapozzi
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear acapozzi,
Thank you sharing your comments with other trip advisor travelers. I will have maintenance check on the screens in the Premium section immediately.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in the main building so I can't comment on the outer motel like accomidations. That being said, very nice rooms, comfortable bed, large outdoor pool, great location (south end of Lake George, walking distance to town and Million Dollar Beach) and the perfect views of the lake made this hotel a winner. Rooms have a microwave, coffee maker, free wi-fi and a fridge. Ours also had a jacuzzi tub in the sitting area. Be sure to ask for a lake view or you'll overlook the parking lot. There are a couple of imporvements needed but not enough to detract from staying here. The pull-out sofa bed was pretty well worn and charging a "resort fee" is questionable. Unless you consider an outdoor pool, one shuffleboard court, a game room and a small indoor pool a resort. Breakfast does not come with a stay however their on-site resteraunt is reasonable and serves a good breakfast compared to some of the other local fare (see my review on "The Breakfast Spot"). They run specials on Groupon so you may get a goos deal there.

Room Tip: As for a lake view in the main building.
Dearjohn4li,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with other Trip Advisor Travelers.
In regards to your comments ,“Location, Location, Location ”, we appreciate your informative assessment of our operations. I will share your comments with my staff at our next meeting.
We look forward to hosting you again should you visit the Lake George area.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We reserved a room at Ft. William Henry with a bit of concern after reading some of the reviews. There was no need for concern. They absolutely nailed the perfect stay. From check in to check out, everything was perfect. We arrived early and were worried about getting our room because there were at least 50 other people waiting to check in. The clerk (can't remember his name) told us the entire hotel checked out this morning so it's a bit crazy, but I guarentee your room will be ready by 3pm. At 2:58, we checked to see if our room was ready... Yup! We stayed in the standard west building, yup, the one that is always getting knocked in the reviews. Well, for my wife and I, it was perfect. Sure, there was a bit of wear and tear on the outside of the building. But it was great!! The room (204) had a tall ceiling, 2 double beds, and all the normal hotel furniture including a flat screen tv and a very comfortable arm chair and stool. We love having a balcony to chill out on and the standard west building has one. Oh, the view? Breath taking! We had a lakefront room. I could look at that view all night long.
The staff. Our house keepers were a girl from Jamaica and an oriental girl. Outstanding service!! Room was cleaned spotless everyday. Towels were thick and plentiful. The housekeeping staff were friendly and hard working.
The on site amenities are great. The pool is good sized and clean, the grounds are beautiful. It rained one day so I used the sauna and indoor pool. Perfect. The outdoor bar is very handy and there is a sitting area in front of it with nice, comfortable outdoor furniture to chill out on. The on site breakfast resturaunt served an outstanding breakfast. We had a waiter named Milos, from Montenegro or Macedonia (I can't remember which), who was friendly and really good at his job.
Oh , and about the appearence of the standard west building. It looks like it was built in the 50's or 60's so it has an air about it. And yes, there are sme dents and scratches on it, but, there was a painting crew working on it our entire stay so it's not neglected.
I even got a chance to say hi to the general manager, Sam, quickly. He had a warm smile and you could tell he cares about the guest experience.
So, bottom line. The Ft. William Henry Hotel and Conference Center will be our go to hotel in Lake George. From beginning to end, a great stay. Thank you very much and see you next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bt1sw2000
Dearbtlsw2000,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel, and recommending us to other Trip Advisor patrons.
In regards to your comments ,“Great stay, great hotel, great staff ”, we appreciate your kind words. I will pass your comments on to our Front Desk Manager and the Head of Housekeeping
We look forward to hosting you again should you visit the Lake George area.