“Oh Tiki”

Ranked #53 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Monroe, New York
“Oh Tiki”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Having spent almost every summer at Lake Geroge for a good portion of my life, I had never stayed at the Tiki. In the summer the prices are high for hotels in Lake George. So in that case, the Tiki is somewhat of a bargain. We were able to easily check in and the room was a decent size for me, my husband, and my daughter. We had the room with the "kitchenette". I didn't realize a kitchenette consisted of a fridge and a small stove. My sister also stayed in the hotel on the floor above us with a much nicer room and a microwave. Being on the ground floor, we were also oddly close to the parked cars outside the hotel. I noticed a lot of the rooms are like this which is not so fun when you have people constantly honking their horn, and coming in late at night. They also claimed to have HBO in the room which they did not. Overall, the stay was bearable but we will not be staying at the Tiki again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not on the ground floor in the main building.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

The property is listed as resort. I made the reservation through booking.com. When I arrived on site, hotel staff did not provide any details where I could get water, ice or coffee. Our room was horrible. The bathtub did not drain...so I end up standing in the dirty water for my shower. The floors are icy cold tiles.

When I asked the staff next day about how they could call it a resort...they said that as I made the reservation through online, I get the motel side of the property. Booking website or even resort website does not mention anything about the motel section...however charged at resort price.

I will never recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: Choose any other property except this place
2 Thank Pankaj B

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Lake George
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was very pleased with the location as it was near the beach. The room was clean and ready by 4 which is check-in time. While we waited we spent time in the village. The Garden Cafe was a very good breakfast, but service was slow.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Cornwall, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our room seemed to be recently renovated. The hotel staff were nice. We were given a ticket for a complementary drink at their hotel bar. I thought that's a nice gesture. Thus was out first stay at this hotel. We may be back in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

There were several good and bad reviews about this hotel and I was reluctant to book this hotel. However, I was traveling with my 2 sons and knew we wouldn't be spending much time at the hotel, so decided to book it. I also got a great deal through AAA.

Upon our arrival, the front desk clerk who looked like she just rolled out of bed said our room wasn't ready. We used the restroom to change and I went back and asked what our room # was or what floor it was on, and the clerk said she didn't know. My question to myself was ' If you don't know what room I'm in then how do you know it's not ready.'. We swam in the very cold and unseated outdoor pool and went back to find our room was ready.

The room itself was great- big, renovated and clean. The view was of the parking lot but there are not any views from anywhere in this hotel. We were there for 3 nights- our sheets were never changed the entire time nor was the room vacuumed- bizarre! In addition there were no towels at the indoor pool, when I called they said they would send them down. They did but it took 50 minutes and a call from another guest.

The cafe at hotel was the pits--- there are many other great places to go nearby- don't waste your $! On day 2 we saw the same girl that checked us in- it still didn't look like she had combed her hair. I'm not sure WHO is running this place, but their lack of concern for the face they show their guests is alarming. Again- great location, good room, but don't stay here more than a night!

Room Tip: We stayed in 216- it was renovated with 2 queens---
2 Thank TransforME
Highland Falls, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed there the end of July 2013 for two nights. We had two rooms (Grandpa had one). The rooms were very clean and appropriate. The mattresses were comfortable. The floors were tiled which made any type of clean up easy, but also very slippery when wet. Both rooms had a fridge, which came in handy.
The indoor pool is up and running again. It's small but nice, especially if the weather isn't great or if it's not hot enough outside.
We used the outdoor pool as well. Just fyi that is a small kiddie pool in the pictures, not a hot tub.
The overall experience of the hotel was fine, maybe above average compared to other Lake George hotels.
The staff was friendly. We were able to check in to one of the rooms early and use the pools while we were waiting for the other room to be ready.
You are close enough to walk in to town, if you are in good shape. The walk was a bit much for Grandpa.
The Polynesian show was pricey. I managed to find a coupon for $37 for dinner/show for adults in a guide book. I don't think it would be worth the full price. Although the musicians/dancers are very charming, the stage is small and there was nothing they did that I haven't seen before or amazed me (or the children). They have audience participation which is fun and funny to watch. I feel the price is steep for what you get. The food wasn't great. I had the coconut shrimp. Just seems like something that was frozen that they threw in the frier. It came with a salad and the desert is included (a very tiny piece of not very good chocolate cake). You MUST select your dinner when making the reservation. You also MUST state that the children will eat off the children's menu. There was a family who sat next to us that ended up arguing when the check came. They had 3 children, all got charged the adult price (regular price i think is $45).
Lake George is situated in a beautiful area. Don't limit yourself to whatever hotel you are staying in. Get out and try some of the other establishments there.

Room Tip: Be sure to call ahead! Ask where your room is located and ask for discounts!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LetMeTripPLEASE
Westbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Motel was very conviently located close to downtown Lake George. I was traveling with my family and we booked a three night stay. However, after seeing the size of the room, we knew this wouldn't work. We had a room by poolside that was had two full beds which barely fit. The room was way too small to accommodate all of us. Plus, there was an awkward sliding door that separated the bathroom/sink area from the sleeping area. Not sure what that was about. I guess if you were traveling alone or with one other person, this motel would work for you, but for a family of four, it was not a bargain. We tried to switch rooms, but there was nothing available. We wound up going to a different motel a block away which was much better at a better price. I would not stay at this property again. Also, they require a one night stay deposit when booking. Are they serious???

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are small.
1 Thank Robert W