“not worth it”

Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Lalibela
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant had been recommended to us by a number of people. we found the menu choice extremely limited, the food below average and the atmosphere quite dull. One reason may be that we were ain the middle of low season but I am not sure it would be any better at other times. the building itself shows neglect and it is dire need of repairs and upkeep.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

This restaurant had been recommended to us so we went for dinner. At night the path up to the restaurant, past the prison-like doors of the hotel rooms, wasn't very well lit. When we got there we thought that the inside of the restaurant (tukul-style) looked nice with its colourful ceiling, although the decor did look a little tired and the lighting was really dim. We were welcomed, seated and given menus quickly. The restaurant had a few tables filled but it was pretty quiet as it was low season. We asked what beers there were as we expected to have a choice, particularly in a hotel restaurant, but there was just one choice which was St George. We were brought some kita bread (which is an alternative to injera) and a spicy dip whilst we looked at the menu. We selected a steak with pepper sauce and fries and shiro with meat. When the dishes arrived the steak was surprisingly tender and the sauce was flavoursome. The shiro was tasty and came with injera and kita which was good. After tasting my partner's steak it was disappointing that the meat in my shiro was very tough (although I realise that it's quite usual in Ethiopia). The service throughout the meal was pleasant. Overall we had a nice enough evening but maybe this restaurant is best visited in the day time when the views can be appreciated. If I could have given it 3.5 out of 5 I would have, based on our experience.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a wonderful restaurant in Lalibela! Great setting high up in the trees so you can watch the exotic birds in their habitat while enjoying your St George beer and delicious lunch. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Beautiful setting and good menu makes this a wonderful place to sit and relax. Lots of birds in the gardens

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The restaurant has a nice view, but the food was mediocre and the service was very slow. I had a nice pasta dish, with exactly 7 olives in it.