“My Favorite Hotel in Ethiopia”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Mountain View Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
Tallahassee, Florida
“My Favorite Hotel in Ethiopia”
Reviewed 16 October 2009

This contemporary wood and glass hotel hangs off the edge of the mountains at the end of the Lalibela road, affording the most astounding views of the surrounding area and the most incredible sunsets I saw anywhere in the country during my 22 day stay. The rooms were big and clean, the bathroom was modern and always had hot water, we never had electricity issues, although I understand that in stormy weather all bets are off. The European food is fair, but they do an outstanding job on traditional fare and are very accommodating. One Wednesday, a fasting day in Ethiopia, I asked the chef to make me a vegetarian plate and was treated an absolutely declicious spread of veggies and legumes beautifully arranged on a platter of injera, the Ethiopian daily bread. The archtecture of the hotel (designed by an architect from Bahir Dar) is a cross between Frank Lloyd Wright and the indigenous geniuses that brought us the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela - the wood mirrors the various crosses and even monkey head design of the churches. The staff is thoughtful and helpful. It's far from town, but worth it (and I generally insist on being in the middle of things). I have absolutely no reservations about recommending this hotel - but don't expect to get a room during festivals.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank tallalassie2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 13 August 2009

This new hotel at the end of town has breathtaking views of the highlands and of the town of Lalibela. The building and the rooms are marvellous. The only problem are the power cuts, so be prepared to chat and eat by candlelight. They told us there would be a generator soon, but you can't be sure.
Keeping the lack of electricity in mind, the restaurant staff do an excellent job, the Jamaican cook prepares Ethiopian and western food with special spices that he brings from Addis Ababa.
You can also ask for a guide to the rock churches in Lalibela at the reception - we had a guide named Abraham and he was really good and spoke very good English,

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Yorkville, California
Reviewed 28 July 2009

The hotel certainly has the view from the top of the mountains! Rooms were comfortable with balconies. Dining room was spacious and meals were good. Staff was very friendly and helpful. One room had a malfunctioning shower and our friends were moved easily to another room.

Lalibela town is poor and its streets are rough; the hotel was a welcome sight as we drove in after a 10 hour drive.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Wales
Reviewed 2 July 2009

We visited Lalibela for two nights having visited Awassa and Addis Ababa. The hotel was recommended by a local guide. It is situated at the edge of the plateau on which the old village is based. The views west at sunset and sunrise are outstanding. The hotel is a 10 min walk from the centre of the town and 15 min from the Churches. It is clean and friendly. The rates are reasonable. The food was very good - the rastafarian chef was great.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Stockholm
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I live in Stockholm and the first time I was in Lalibela with my wife and three children, the hotel was under construction. This year i January I had the possibility to stay four lovely nights in this hotel. And the whole thing was beyond my imagination. The two young owners and founders Mr. Metasebia and Mr. Getachew have done a good job and what a great contribution to the community regarding employment opportunity to young people in Lalibela. I will go again next year in January and all I need is books and an ipod with with a lot of Keith Jarrett to enjoy sitting in my balcony. Here is the new address to the new website: www.mountainview-hotel.com

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Mountain view was booked so I stayed one night at the Jerusalem Hotel which was fine but Mountainview is simply spectacular! No barking dogs and rooster crowing to keep you up at night. Georgeous views. Excellent service. On one of the 2 days - there was no power or water for several hours during the day but this was for the whole town and the hotel did manage to have water in the evening and power so we were not at all inconvenienced. One minor point - we had laundry service done and the clothes returned were not well cleaned. Overall though, the staff were quite helpful and the restaurant had good meals - esp the fresh juice in the AM (safe to drink- made with bottled water) and BBQ beef skewers that were the best meal I had in my 6 weeks in Ethiopia.
One do

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Four friends and I loved this hotel! The facilities are new, modern and spotless. The service was good and the food was enjoyable. However, the best feature of this amazing new hotel is the view. The designers have capitalized on its location at the top of a hill with large windows and all kinds of patio and balcony space looking out into the valley below. One of the employees said, "Keep watching. The view changes with the time of day." He was right. Sitting on the patio watching the setting sun was as delightful as enjoying the sunrise from the dining room. We all agreed that we would return to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends