“World View Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Mountain View Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
London
“World View Hotel”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Mountain View Hotel - Lalibela
Okay, let’s start with the boring part. The hotel rooms are very clean, spacious and light. My standard single had two single beds a suitcase bench, bedside table, a couple of armchairs but similar to it’s sister hotel in the same area, the Tukul Village, there was no wardrobe but you don’t really need one given you won’t need to be in Lalibela long- a day really is more than enough! The bathroom was, along with the Tukul Village, by far the nicest bathroom I had seen in a hotel in Ethiopia and had a bath and shower mixer. The shower had a shower curtain and was just a very good standard bathroom and very clean.

Now that’s all out of the way let’s get to the USP. The view. My god what a view! The view from every hotel room and the terrace is spellbinding, it’s hard to describe and no camera can do it justice. Mountain View Hotel? World View more like. You see the full expanse of Lalibela and it is simply immense. I first visited this hotel when I went for dinner while actually residing at the Tukul and even in the 10pm darkness the atmosphere and night time panoramic, unobstructed by any harsh artificial lighting, is breathtaking. It was dark but with the light of the moon and stars what I saw was spectacular and I felt like I was on top of the world.

The dinner menu on the night I went for dinner was very carnivorous and I asked whether I could have a fasting meal thinking it was Wednesday when it was in fact Tuesday. This was not mentioned, no objection raised, very shortly after ordering I received a platter of the best meal I had in Ethiopia with rolls of injera with greens and tomatoes and spiced lentil wots- absolutely delicious and far better than the fasting meal I had at the Tukul Village. At birr 39 or 40 far cheaper too.

Please be patient with the waiting staff in the restaurant, their English isn’t very good but even then I’m certain that it will be far better than 99% of the hotel guest’s Amharic. How is your Amharigna? These are local girls rightly benefitting via employment from the tourism in the town. Their English and serving skills will improve.

If you can’t get a room to stay in at Mountain View while in Lalibela, make sure you at least go for dinner so you can just have a look at the hotel. A visit to this hotel is a must. It is an extremely ambitious project that I think has paid off.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank lushberry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Given the Ethiopian context, meaning basic, the Mountain View is modern, clean and comfortable rooms, and absolutely fabulous views from all rooms. Great upper terrace to sit and watch sunsets. Unpaved, bumpy road getting there, but defintely worth it. Food is good, service friendly. This is definitely the best in Lalibela.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank drdia
USA
Reviewed 23 December 2009

A new modern hotel in Lalibela with an excellent restaurant. The hotel parking area and entrance drive is still under construction and very bumpy. Once inside, however, you're in a calm, pleasant hotel with spectacular views and unequalled amenities among Lalibela hotels. The Mountain View sits on a peninsula at the dead end of the main street through town. Extremely quiet and free of the dust and noise of the town center. It is within walking distance of town, however and there are a few gift shops nearby which are ok. The dining room is sheathed in glass for nice dinner time views. Our room had a private balcony with full length sliding glass doors. Marble bath and modern fixtures. My one gripe is that I never quite figured out how to operate the shower temperature/pressure. Minor complaint however. My tour guide recommended this hotel as the best in town and I agree. The other hotel I looked at before booking was the Tukul Village Hotel (sp?). We passed this hotel on our drive in and it seems fine but is on a dusty town square which made me glad to be out on the peninsula. Lalibela is a spectacular site but at the end of a day exploring the archeological sites, I liked being in isolated peace and quiet to recharge for the next day's touring. Again, spectacular views!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank photo_rode
Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 December 2009

This is one of the best hotels I've visited in Ethiopia - far better than what is available in most towns outside Addis. Details are catalogued thoroughly in older reviews: spectacular views from every room, unique modern architecture, great food, etc. Two additional notes: 1) I had no trouble booking a room via email. 2) Hotel has complimentary airport transfer - don't make the mistake I did and ask your tour company to provide it (for additional cost).

This is such a nice hotel, it's worth adding a day to your stay in Lalibela just to enjoy the views, nice food, and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Stayed on 29 and 30 Nov 2009.
Briefly;

Location - Great. Fantastic view. View of winding road to Axum from room.
Room - Great. All rooms are with Balcony and it is clean. Only complaint is the smell of the cleaning detergent.
Food - Great. The chef personally attend to our meals selection.
Security - felt very safe even though there is no metal grill on the windows/balcony door
Shower - Hot water by individual water heater. However water pressure is low.

Building Design - Futuristic. The front yard needs some upgrading work. put more plants and flowers etc.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank yiyehhu
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 December 2009

This hotel was booked for me by a reliable travel agency in Addis. The reservation was confirmed and they received a voucher. However, when we arrived we were told they had no record of the booking. Curiously the entire place had been reserved by a large tour group. After talking to the owner it became clear to me that they had cancelled my booking in order to get the group to reserve. If you make plan to stay here I recommend you double, triple, quadruple reconfirm before being left out in the cold!

Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 6 November 2009

The hotel is at the edge of Lalibela and perched high above the valley with amazing views. From our balcony at night there wasn't one visible artificial light, just the moon casting shadows and lots of stars.
The hotel staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Our guide, arranged through the hotel, was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagsSpags
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
Panoramic View Hotel
Sora Lodge Lalibela
Sora Lodge Lalibela
#1 of 11 in Lalibela
Cliff Edge Hotel - Lalibela

Been to Mountain View Hotel? Share your experiences!