“Best bang for your buck”

Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lalibela
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this place, first of all the staff was nice, helpful and hospitable. They have a restaurant on site, which breakfast is served starting at 6 A.M. My tour guide, Fisseha met me at the hotel and was on time for our scheduled appointments thereafter. He was professional and very knowledgeable of Lalibela's history. Our communication was great because he spoke excellent english. If you are visiting Lalibela I suggest you use him. Contact number: 25112027017, using local number 0912027017.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank eshiv

Reviewed 15 September 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the place is reasonably clean and calm, and the staff were friendly enough. Anyway, perhaps this is all one can ask for when staying in such a location - although I've certainly been to similar locations and experienced better (as well as worse). One thing I will note that was a pleasant surprise was the wifi in the restaurant.

Things to consider:
1. The prices were constantly changing - this was perhaps the biggest annoyance. Advertised rates had included breakfast and we had been told airport transfer was also included. Additionally, we had negotiated for a guide for the equivalent of $20 through the hotel. When we arrived, the guide was expecting more than twice that fee and neither the breakfast nor airport transfer were included. We were able to renegotiate the guide to $30 but the hotel did nothing on the other issues. Having to renegotiate for prices established on a short break from work was not how I wanted to spend my little amount of free time, particularly when had taken such care to make arrangements in advance. Nor was spending more than expected a positive.
2. It does get quite chilly in the evenings – and there was no hot water in either the sink or shower. I was with two other colleagues – we all tried in the late afternoon, night, and morning.
3. I did not eat at the restaurant simply because when I tried to order, they didn’t have items listed on their menu which I requested.
4. A less important point to note for light sleepers – the beds squeak with every muscle you use – and the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My family and I stayed for 2 nights at the Lal Hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The restaurant was excellent every meal we ordered we loved. The staff was always very courteous and friendly. I must also mention the restaurant staff was always so enthusiastic about how our meal was the maid in morning always saying "good morning" just all the staff going the extra mile to make you feel welcome! The grounds of the whole compound we found to be quite nice with great picturesque views all the way around. The new renovations seem very bright and propitious. The rock hewn churches were close by just a quick walk up the road from the hotel. Our family would definitely stay here again loved every minute of our time at the Lal Hotel in Lalibela!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tiffany E
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed in Lal for two nights. The room was clean and comfortable. Yes they have hot showers, solar powered no less. It was serene and had a spectacular view from the Tukul I stayed in. The staff was very friendly and hospitable. The food was good. They had free shuttle from the airport. I was met by an excellent tour guide Muugeta Wondie, who was knowledgeable, patient, helpful, and professional. Ato Moges the manager of Lal was great.He gave me a tour of the compound and their new additions. Very promising. I am certainly coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tukuls second floor for view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Martha V
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Lal Hotel in Lalibela. The room was really nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The whole place was quiet and the staff was so helpful and friendly. We did the church-tour with Haile, the guide from the Lal Hotel. We enjoyed it a lot! The restaurant prepares also good food for good value. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marco J
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lal Hotel for 2 nights in June. The rooms were clean and comfortable with hot water. We enjoyed all of our meals in the hotel restaurant and recommmend the zal tibs! We met our guide, Mulugeta Wondie, at the hotel and spent two days with him exploring the churches and hiking up the mountain. He was fun, professional, and very knowledgeable; we really enjoyed his company. All of the staff at Lal Hotel were friendly and helpful. We were unable to pay by Visa/Mastercard, however there is an ATM and bank in town.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katie D
Reviewed 3 June 2013

It is a good hotel to be in Lalibela. Nice, clean and comfortable. Besides, you can hire there a very good guide for your visits to the churchs. The restaurant is very good, and you can have lunch also and very good juices at the terrace.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tio L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
1 mi away
Top Twelve Hotel - Lalibela
Lalibela Hotel
Lalibela Hotel
#5 of 15 in Lalibela

Been to Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela? Share your experiences!