“Asheten Hotel Guide”

Ranked #13 of 19 Lalibela B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Asheten Hotel Guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

A comfortable place with hot water. Prices are negotiable and staff are friendly. We also met an excellent guide at the hotel, called Abebe. He took myself and a friend up the mountains to a local monastery for a very good rate - 200 Birr total.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SHJ13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This place is simple and affordable in a great location - five minutes to the church ticket office. I stayed here for a few nights and after trekking in the countryside the crooked toilet and the hot drizzle from the shower felt luxurious! As mentioned earlier, the man with dreadlocks also offered us a guide upon arrival. He wasn't pushy and I've come expect people at hotels to try to upsell services. Probably my favorite part of the hotel is its proximity to the Unique Restaurant across the street. I had all my meals there which are very affordable and the owner Cisco is really cool.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Great location, Simple but clean rooms and with en suite bathrooms and comfy beds. The courtyard garden is a lovely place to relax after a hard day's church visiting. I had decided to take a guide to the churches ( normally I prefer to wander peacefully alone ) to make a contribution to the local economy so I took the hotel's recommendation. I knew at 500 Birr it was probably a bit more expensive than if I'd tried to find one independently ( the guide doesn't get this amount ) I went for it for the sake of convenience. .Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't experience any hassle from reception about it and you can always politely decline! In the end i was so glad I'd taken that option as my guide, Zenebe ( ask reception for his number ) couldn't have been more helpful and, as a lone woman traveler, an absolute gentleman! He also took me to Torpedo tej ( honey wine ) house in the evening.....It's totally non touristy, just somewhere locals hang out to listen to music get into the astonishing traditional shoulder dancing. For food the extraordinary Ben Abeba restaurant is the place to go...15 mins walk from Asheton.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank carinaegypt
Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Asheton Hotel's location in Lalibella is hard to beat, as is the price, for a double room that is basic but more than adequate. I would have given a higher rating except we, too, noticed problems that originated with the front desk. (There is a lot of hustle from an unlicensed guide at the front desk.) But the more concerning thing was that after we departed the hotel en route by bus to Bahir Dar. At a bus change at a junction a man approached and said he had been sent to collect by the hotel because we only paid for two of our three nights stay. We cleared that up with a call to the hotel but its concerning that many locals have warned us that this is likely a scam.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chai435662
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We spent three nights at this basic hotel and were pleased with the value we got for our money. However, we were NOT pleased to have fallen for the "your guide is waiting" scam perpetrated by the guy on the reception desk when we registered. I responded I had not asked for a guide and he said, "He's waiting. Work it out with him." We met with the "guide" out on the hotel patio and he was such a smooth talker, we agreed to his extortionate $30 per person (there were two of us) fee to guide us through the churches for the rest of the day. Later, we discovered an official guide hired at the ticket desk would have cost us a very small fraction of this. The hotel is a two minute walk from the center of town and directly accross from the wonderful Unique restaurant where we ate all of our meals.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Riverwoods v
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

Stayed for several nights in different rooms in December 2012. Centrally located on the quiet street. All rooms facing beautiful courtyard with flowers. Very clean and nice rooms. Always had hot water with good pressure. Paid 300B for double. Good restaurant. Nice staff, will store you luggage.
Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Radeko1
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I spent there two nights in January 2013. The price for a single room (big bed) was around 250 Birr, which is below average in Lalibela. It is well located, close to the main interest points.

It is nothing luxurious, but very acceptable: hot water, functioning toilets, pretty clean, no bugs in the bed (which sounds rare in Lalibela!), a very nice garden to read and relax. The staff members are nice and arrange a transportation for the airport for 70 Birr.

(The dreadlocks boy of the hotel offers you deals that don't look very honest, i.e: 400 Birr for a guide, etc. My advice is to look somewhere else for deals!)

Room Tip: Check the hot water, it might not work in every room!